Goodness Under Pressure
Micca Monda Campbell

"Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life." Psalm 23:6 (NIV)

I didn't know it then, but before my husband's accident, God already had a plan to care for me. I was far along into my pregnancy with my first child when my dad approached Porter and me with a heartfelt concern. With a new baby on the way, Dad advised us to invest in life insurance. It was a great idea, but we just couldn't afford it. Under the circumstances, Dad felt compelled to pay the premium until we could pay it ourselves. Porter accepted. Little did we know what the future held. Just two short weeks later, Porter tragically died. What would my son and I do now that our sole provision for food, shelter, and clothing was gone? The pressure was on as I tried to make sense of it all.

Sometimes God allows us to become pressured - not to terrify us or cause us undue pain but to purify our character. It's interesting that God uses pressure in our lives this way. In the same manner, pressure is what makes a diamond pretty, precious, and priceless. Diamonds are treasured stones that many desire. God wants you and me to become His treasured stones that shine with His glory. He uses the pressures in our lives to create in us a thing of rare beauty that many desire. When we allow the stress of life to purify our nature, we permit God to work for good and His glory.

Just when I thought I had to put my newborn son in daycare and find a job, it happened. It was nothing short of a miracle. It was God at His finest. Although the life insurance policy had only been signed two weeks before the accident and was still in the probation period, the company decided to honor it. Because of God's goodness, I was able to stay home with my son for a while longer. Sure, the pressure of my trail was hard, but learning to lean on God's goodness had its rewards. I saw a promise come to pass, my character and faith were sharpened, and I had the privilege of experiencing God at work in my life.

It may be different for you. God's goodness under pressure may show up in a job offer that you weren't expecting. It may be as simple as someone buying you dinner or offering to baby-sit so you can have some time to yourself. Whatever the form, it's His goodness showering you with care in your time of distress. Acknowledging these acts of kindness, which flow from God's heart, builds our character and our faith. Before we know it, our life shines with the brilliance of a diamond that draws others to our God. And that, my friend, is a good thing.

Dear Lord, sometimes my stress feels so heavy I think I can't go on. I have no breath or life left in me. But Your Word says that You make me lie down in green pastures. And Your goodness and love will follow after me. Oh, how Your Word refreshes my soul and renews my spirit. Be my strength; be my rest; be my ever-present help under pressure. With You, I can make it through. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

An Untroubled Heart: Finding Faith that is Stronger than My Fears by Micca Campbell

His Princess: Love Letters from Your Prince by Sherri Shepherd

Visit Micca’s blog

Application Steps:
Recall each and every time God has shown goodness to you under pressure. Thank Him by writing out a prayer, song or poem. Keep it so that the next time you find yourself under stress, you can trust and watch for a sign of goodness.

Reflections:
What causes you the most stress: home, job, raising kids, etc.?

How do you lean on God's mercy during times of pressure?

How can trusting God with your stress bring peace to your life?

Power Verses:
Psalm 23:1, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want." (NIV)

Psalm 23:2, "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters..." (NIV)

Psalm 23:3, "He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." (NIV)

© 2009 by Micca Campbell. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , ,



13 Comments:

Blogger DOakley said...

Wow, Micca! I can't tell you how much your story hit me. I just had a baby 6 months ago and know how I would have felt if in the same situation.

You've certainly made me appreciate my husband a whole lot more!

Thank you for sharing that and for the reminder that God can use these events to make us stronger and will provide for us. I know he has done that for us as I've chosen to stay home with our baby and work from home.

In Him,
Darlene Oakley

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure pray and hope #2 comment from yesterday reads this devotion,I'm talking about the"landfill" woman,I pray she's doing ok,with GOD ALL things are possible!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise The Lord!!! I am stressed right now with the pressures of life, but God is GREAT! I woke up this morning and my 18 mth old baby girl had a major poopy diaper!! It was so bad that her socks were filled with it!! Lol!! I immediately of course stripped her and gave her a bath, at 7 am!! But I just laughed and had a good time. Anyway, my life has been stressed out for a very long time. I will be turning 30 in a few days and something major has happened every year up until now. Through the years I have seen the Lord do some miracles in my life, and I love Him so much. He has turned my darkness into light, and my mourning into rejoicing!! Even now as I am writing this I am facing a trial, but through my life the Lord has been there every second and he will continue to be here every second. Without Him I would have nothing! Thank you so much for this devotional this morning, pray for me and I will pray for all of you. Bein Loved on by Him, LaRae. How is everyone today? Let us know.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Micca
How these devotions just touch to my core!!! I have faith in God through his Son Jesus Christ to get my family through all kids of difficulties.
To all of you at Proverbs 31, thank you for your devotions each and every day.
God bless you!
Sandy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you feed your daughter before bedtime? sardines? to fill her socks? hope you get thru your trial,God will bless you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - props to the poopy diaper woman! If she can praise Jesus through THAT, she's my hero! ;)

On a more serious note, I was just thinking last night to myself "What's the point?? Why is marriage so hard? Why can't it just be super easy all the time?" and I know it's to make us better people but WHY... And then you answered it today:
"pressure is what makes a diamond pretty, precious, and priceless. Diamonds are treasured stones that many desire. God wants you and me to become His treasured stones that shine with His glory. He uses the pressures in our lives to create in us a thing of rare beauty that many desire. When we allow the stress of life to purify our nature, we permit God to work for good and His glory"

Thanks for the kick in the butt reminder that it's not all about us but it's about CHRIST and being a light (or diamond :)to draw others unto him.

Thanks :)
Jody

Blogger Micca said...

How funny! Yes, the pressures of life come in all sorts of packages...even diapers! And among the "mess" whatever our mess may be, we can still witness God's goodness.

Someone wrote me a personal email about how Ps 23 brought her peace by reminding her to lie down in green pastures.

What are your green pastures? Do you find peace and rest when you take a walk, curel up with a book, pray, what???

Whatever it is, you and I should do it more. Rest is God's idea and with it comes peace to replace our stress.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Micca...your story of God's goodness is my story. In 2004 my husband died suddenly from a heart attack, in his truck, about 1 mile from our home. I found out that my husband had provided life insurance and I was totally taken care of in a time when I couldn't begin to make any decisions. I was shown many examples of God's goodness in the months that followed my husband's death. Bad things will happen in our life, but God is so faithful in His promise never to leave us or forsake us. Micca, thank you for being so open with your life.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my friend,
Your daily devotion encourage me so much. it is really a blessing to me everyday. I thank God always for you. God bless.
Gloria
Philippines

Blogger KBroome said...

Wow. Your story really touched me. I can't imagine being in your position and you are so confidant in the Lord. I need that trust and belief of His goodness.

Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for this devotion -- God always knows what I need to hear! My "trial" these days is really nothing that big -- just weary of dealing with health issues (kids and myself) -- but sometimes a little encouragement goes a long way.

Losing my husband has always been one of my biggest fears. If God is big enough to get you through that, then He is certainly big enough to deal with my mediocre problems! I pray I never have to face something like you did, but it is encouraging to know that God gives the grace to get women like you through! God bless!!

Blogger Micca said...

Jessica,

You said it! That's why Peter in 1Peter 3:15 commands us to be ready to explain the hope we have to others...why? So that they might say, "If God can do it for her, He can do it for me!"

And He will, friend. God will see each of you through all your trials and the fears that accompanies them.

Please know that as I read your stories, I've praying for each of you.
10,000 blessings

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well more diaper duty again this morning, lol!! I gave her some medicine last nite guess it wasn't enuff. Well anyway, thanks for the comments yesterday they made me smile. Love you girls, LaRae!!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits