What if I was Broken?
Tracie Miles

Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. Micah 7:8 (NIV)

His question made me stop and think. It was a simple comment, said in a teasing manner, but it instantly struck a chord in my heart.

I was cleaning out a kitchen cabinet, which had become cluttered with items that I rarely used. One of those items was an old broken can opener. I handed it to my nine year-old son and asked him to throw it away, but instead of just tossing it into the trash can, he asked if he could keep it. Why in the world would a little boy want an old, dirty, useless can opener?

He continued to try to convince me that he needed to keep it, until I finally said, "Honey, it is broken, I don't want it or need it anymore, so throw it away please." Then came his question, "Well if I was broken, would you just throw me away?"

Huh? This conversation about a silly can opener had gotten way too complicated. I assured him that I would never throw him away, no matter what, because he was too valuable to me. I gave him a hug, and he skipped off into the den to watch TV, while I stood there stunned, pondering his question.

I was reminded of a time when I was so broken, and felt dirty and useless. I remembered how a bad decision I made as a young girl caused me to spend years believing that I had no redeeming value in God's eyes. I recalled the regret that suffocated my heart for years, and how I felt God could never really love a sinner like me. I vividly remembered the overwhelming pain and regret of feeling broken, and void of worth, beauty or value.

But a smile came to my face as I remembered the day when God healed that brokenness. Sitting alone on a pew during a worship service eight years ago, tears were pouring down my face. I begged God to forgive me for my sins, just as I had done for fourteen years, but this time it was different. This time I felt God's presence and believed in His forgiveness. For the first time, I had heard His voice ring in the ears of my heart, reassuring me that I was way too valuable to be thrown away.

The following day I realized something was different. My past was still my past, but I was no longer broken. The damaged pieces of my heart were mended, and I set out on a wonderful journey to discover my worth in Gods eyes, not my own eyes. I believed that I really was too valuable to be thrown away, and that God not only could love someone like me, but that HE DID.
Are you feeling broken today? Do you see yourself as someone who God could not possibly love? Do you spend each day condemning yourself for past sins, current habits, damaged relationships, poor choices, or even self-harming behavior?

Do you wish you could stop feeling broken, or stop continuing a pattern of sin in your life, but simply do not know how? Do you ever feel like you are just too messed up to be "fixed"?

Friend, despite what you may think, you are not beyond repair. You are nothing like that dirty, broken can opener. As a child of God, you are precious, beautiful, and yes, even more valuable than gold. Whatever your situation, God can mend that crushing feeling of hopelessness and brokenness. With faith, ask Him to.

Will you delight Him by accepting His grace, mercy and forgiveness? Will you give Him the opportunity to mend you today?

Dear Lord, forgive me and heal me. Mend my brokenness. Give me hope. Help me to see myself through Your eyes only. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know the Mender of broken hearts?

Reinventing Your Rainbow by Tracie Miles

You are Special (chubby or hardcover) by Max Lucado

Application Steps:
Accept God's forgiveness.
Trust His Word.
Believe in His sovereignty over your heart and life.
Believe in His power.
Ask Him for strength to fight off the temptations that keep you buried in feelings of unworthiness.

Reflections:
Do you frequently think negative thoughts about yourself?

Has something or someone made you feel worthless?

Have you asked God to mend your brokenness and truly believed that He can and will?

Power Verses:
Matthew 9:12-13, "On hearing this, Jesus said, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'" (NIV)

Psalm 147:3, "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (NIV)

Isaiah 54:11-12, 14, "O you afflicted one, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay your stones with colorful gems, and lay your foundations with sapphires. I will make your pinnacles of rubies, your gates of crystal, and all your walls of precious stones. In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you." (NKJV)

© 2009 by Tracie Miles. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , ,



11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Tracie, Thankyou for your words of encouragement this morning. For all of us with "broken can openers" in our lives,Thankyou Jesus,for cleaning us up and allowing us to be used by you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do i hear god speak to me i have asked prayed and tried to turn my defeat over to him and yet i don't feel him with me. every sunday as i sit in that church pew i feel i don't fit in i'm not like the rest of them i try to figure out what it is i should do have god come to me but yet he doesn't i was baptized when i was 14 and i accepted him but i'm not sure he accepted me. how do i find the peace you speak of. Maybe i'm already in the land fill.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is for #2 comment,you are not worthless you are child of God and He HAS accepted you,what you should do is go back to the devotion from Feb.12th,What has God done for me lately? This devotion really turned me around as I was feeling really bad about a relationship that I have,and on Valentines evening God restored that relationship,a complete miracle happened!God is with you and he loves you so very much,please talk with Him and he will deliver you! God bless you and I will pray for you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To #2 the devotion was on Feb.11 not the 12th, please read it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is for #2 and all those who struggle with who they are and where they stand now with Christ. I struggled with the same things. It's satan's attempt to paralyze us because he no longer has us. God is your loving Father and He will never divorce you no matter what, He's committed. The Bible says that the TRUTH will set us free, these are some of the truths about you my lovely sister. Take some time to meditate on them and cast out all of these lies. Although we are a work in progress, we are complete in God's eyes through Christ (Colossians 2:9).

The Believer's Identity in Christ
by Don Rogers
MY RELATIONSHIP
I am reconciled to God - 2 Cor 5:18
I'm a child of God - He is my Father - 1 Jn 3:1,2
I am a saint - Eph 1:1; 1 Cor 1:2; Phil 1:1
I am Christ's friend - Jn 15:15
I am a fellow citizen in God's kingdom - Eph 2:19
I am born of God - 1 Jn 4:7
I have been brought near to Christ - Eph 2:13
I have been adopted by God - Rom 8:15
I'm to be righteous and holy like God - Eph 4:24
I have direct access to God - Eph 2:18
MY INHERITANCE
I am a citizen of heaven - Phil 3:20
I am an heir of God - Rom 8:17
I've been rescued from Satan's domain - Col 1:13
I am a joint heir with Christ - Rom 8:17; Gal 4:7 I am hidden with Christ in God - Col 3:3
I am blessed with every spiritual blessing - Eph 1:3 I am chosen of God - holy, beloved - Col 3:12
I am a child of promise - Rom 9:8; Gal 3:14
I am a child of light, not darkness - 1 Thess 5:5
I've been given great promises - 2 Pet 1:4
I am a partaker of Christ - Heb 3:14
I'm one of God's living stones - 1 Pet 2:5
MY TRANSFORMATION
I'm a member of a royal priesthood - 1 Pet 2:9
I'm redeemed and forgiven - Eph 1:6-8
I'm to be a stranger to this world - 1 Pet 2:11
I've been justified - made righteous - Rom 5:1 I'm an enemy of the devil - 1 Pet 5:8
I have eternal life - Jn 5:24
I died w/Christ to the power of sin - Rom 6:1-6 MY CALLING
I am free from condemnation - Rom 8:1
I am to be salt on the earth - Mt 5:13
I have received the Spirit of God -1 Cor 2:12
I am to be light in the world - Mt 5:14
I have been given the mind of Christ - 1 Cor 2:16 I'm chosen and appointed to bear fruit - Jn 15:16
I have been crucified with Christ - Gal 2:20
I am called to do the works of Christ - Jn 14:12
I am a new creation - 2 Cor 5:17
I am to do what Christ commanded His disciples - Mt 28:20
I have been made alive with Christ - Eph 2:5
I have been given spiritual authority - Lk 10:19
I am God's workmanship - Eph 2:10
Signs should accompany my work - Mk 16:17-20
I have received fullness in Christ - Col 2:10
I am a minister of a new covenant - 2 Cor 3:6
I am a minister of reconciliation - 2 Cor 5:18,19
MY POSITION
I am to be an expression of life in Christ - Col 3:4
I am connected to the true vine - Jn 15:1,5
I am a partaker of a heavenly calling - Heb 3:1
I'm a willing slave of righeousness - Rom 6:18,22
I am a temple of God - 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19
I am one spirit with the Lord - 1 Cor 6:17
I am a member of Christ's body - 1 Cor 12:27

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is two the #2 comment. As I read what you wrote tears started to stream down my face because I too suffered from this not very long ago! You my dear are not and never will be defeated!! The Lord loves you so much and He wants you to experience that! Not too long ago I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and from that moment on my life forever was changed!! I felt alive in Christ and for the first time in my life I felt like I was accepted. Not too long after that one night during church the pastor was telling us about our past relationships with our fathers and was asking us if we dealt with past hurts and feelings of abandonment and I began to sob uncontrollably! When the alter call was given I went to the front of the church and began to just raise my hands and let Christ continue to work on my heart. The pastor came forward laid his hands on me, began to pray and the most wonderful thing happened for the first time in my life I began to feel my broken, wounded heart begin to mend. The women of the church wrapped their arms around me and held me and i almost collapsed in their arms!! I had finally found what I had been longing for!!Someone to really love me and except me as I am!! Today let God wrap you in His arms, and cry out to Jesus, He will lift you up and carry you until you are able to carry yourself!! Don't try so hard my dear sweet friend, just watch, listen, and pray!! When it happens you will know it. Love you much, LaRae!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me tell you that God has promised to lways not sometimes be present in our life. Rev.3:20 "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me." We are our own worst enemy and yes the devil knows where we are weak. I believe you have been forgiven by God but you need to forgive yourself. Those people sitting around you are also children of God just like you. Ask God to soften your heart to accept and receive His almighty love and forgiveness. I've been where I believe you are so I trust your wholeness will come when you BELIEVE in His promise of forgiveness. Your sister in Christ.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the Martina McBride song "You'll Always Be My Baby".

To #2: Sometimes God doesn't talk to us by yelling...sometimes he whispers. Listen for those whispers. And know that Satan works his hardest when we are closest to God.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the second comment: God doesn't want you you to be like every one else. He has called you to be you, only you can offer what some one else may not be able to offer!! You do have a gift or maybe more than just one, Im sure you do. God loves you and excepts you for you. He made you and formed you to be just that yourself!! He will change you as you walk with him.You are unique, special, wonderful, marvelous, beautiful, courageous, and His chosen, His elect!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Tracie
This devotion really touched my heart and once again I want to thank you and all those lovely ladies who write to keep on doing God's work for there are many of us out in cyper world who through your words guide and keep us on the right path. I believe God speaks to me through you all!!
God Bless You!
Sandy

Blogger Angie said...

This devotion had my name ALL over it.
Thank you for your continuing guidance through my Extreme Makeover journey.
Your transparency is a true blessing to me and helps to encourage me to become transparent with my life.
I have only just begun but God is showing something to me almost every day.
Asking for His strength to fight off the temptations that keep me buried in feelings of unworthiness in my prayer now.
Things are coming along, but really not as quickly as I would like.
After saying that, I remember something told to me recently.."God is rarely early, but He is never late.”
Thank you for your continued blessing in my life.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits