Courageous Living
Micca Monda Campbell

"'O man of little faith,' Jesus said, 'Why did you doubt me?'" Matthew 14:33b (TLB)

My daughter has struggled with fear her entire life. We first noticed it when she was a baby. She would hold her breath when we carried her down a flight of stairs. Then, at the age of five, she passed out while riding the Ferris wheel at the state fair. Her fears sometimes hinder her from even participating in life—from being an active contributor to society.

Over the years, my heart has broken for her as I've watched her hold back from doing the things she really wanted to do. Playing it safe only left her depressed. She lived most days looking at the world from behind a wall of safety glass, longing to be free. She'd often ask the same question, "Mom, why can't I be full of faith instead of fear?" My answer was always the same. "You are full of faith. You just let fear crowd it out."

Freedom came when Peyton decided that she didn't want to live with regrets any longer. She pushed through her fear by exercising her faith in God. In doing so, her life is now marked by joy, peace, adventure, and courage.

Let me ask you, how many times have you wanted to do something, plan something, or even dare to dream something, but were too afraid? You know deep within that your torment isn't right. You know you're missing out on life and opportunities, but you're too scared to do anything about it.

Those of us who live with anxiety are living below the mark of what we were created to be. Worry and its accompanying emotions are not and never were part of God's plan for His children. Yet thousands live this way each day.

I've often wondered about the eleven disciples who stayed in the boat instead of stepping out onto the water like Peter (Matthew 14:33). Did they live with regret? I don't know. They did, however, miss an amazing opportunity to walk on water with Christ! Sadly, most people stay in the safety of the boat their entire lives and then wonder why life seems so empty, miserable, and dull. They go through life missing opportunities because they're afraid to really live the way God intended. What's Christ response to all of this? He asks "Why do you doubt me?" (Matthew 14:33).

Doubt was the disciples' trouble. When Peter threw one leg over the side of the boat, nobody believed he could walk on water. I can almost hear his friends calling out, "Peter? Have you lost your mind? You can't do that!" And yet, while that thought was still fresh on the minds of his friends, Peter was already doing it. He was walking on water!

Is there someone in your life planting doubt in your heart and mind over something you're already doing? If so, don't listen. Don't look back. Keep your eyes on Jesus and your faith will enable you to walk on water. Exercising your faith is key to courageous living. Like Peter, we are then able to step out of the boat into a world of possibilities.

Dear Lord, I'm ready to get out of the boat by trusting You with my fears. Be visible before me so that my faith will be strong and doubt will flee. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Pre-Order An Untroubled Heart: Finding Faith that is Stronger Than My Fears (Releasing now on March 1) by Micca Campbell

Walk with Me Today, Lord: Inspiring Devotions for Women by Emilie Barnes

Join us for more Everyday Life Encouragement

Visit Micca’s blog

Application Steps:
Conquer your fears by exercising your faith. Look up some verses to add to the Power Verses listed below. Commit these to memory. When doubt and fear enter your mind, block them with your faith verses.

Reflections:
Are you living with regrets due to fear?

What fears are you facing now?

What are you already doing that doubt is causing you to quit?

Power Verses:
Psalm 27:1, "The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life -- of whom shall I be afraid?" (NIV)

Psalm 56:11, "In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (NIV)

Labels: , , , ,



8 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

One scripture that has helped me with my fears is Proverbs 3:25, "Be not afraid of sudden fear neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh."

Thanks for the encouragement today. God has already been dealing with me and really helping me with my fears and I've been able to step out and up. I'm begining to realize that I can't live my life in fear of what others may think of me or do to me. If I stay focused on God and Jesus and do what they ask of me, I know I'm on the right track.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, Jules!!! Isn't it amazing to see how the Lord is changing us. I spent many years of my life being afraid to step out. But with the Lord in my life, I can truly see the change that is happening and that is coming!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was right on time. Thank you!

Blogger Micca said...

Hi Friends,

I'm away this weekend speaking at a marriage conference, but I wanted you to know that I'm thinking about and praying for each of you. I'm asking God to speak directly to your heart and fears as you read and ponder today's devotional.

God has more for you. It's His desire that you live by faith--not fear!

Blogger Kaylee said...

I was married for 10 years and had 3 children. Latter in my marriage my husband beat me rather severely. I left with the children to stay with my girlfriend and her husband. Other than leaving I did not know what to do.

About 7 months later my husband found out where I was staying, forced his way into my girlfriends house and beat me to an inch of my life. I was 7 weeks in the hospital!

Needless to say this left an indellible stain of fear in my mind and heart that made going out for groceries a living nightmare.

I have since legally changed my name and moved to a different city. That was 19 years ago!

Since that time the Lord has done a lot of healing in my life, but there are times I catch myself still looking over my shoulder.

Since I am on disability now, I love fellowshipping on the internet but I know that I still cannot get as personable as I would like, such as flashing a picture of myself or my kids on the web sites that I frequent.

I do know that the Lord understands my fear and I am still a woman of God in progress, His child forever, and I am eagerly awaiting my new glorified boby.

Blogger Yolanda said...

This is going to be an awesome study! I've got my book ordered.

Blessings,
Yolanda
HIGHER GROUNDS

Blogger Renae Tolbert said...

I've been dealing with fear most of my life. My husband and I are trying to make the decision whether or not to move back to Northern California. I would love to because I'd be closer to family. However, we would also be closer to his son who has been very violent towards me and has broken into our home and stole from us. I'm very afraid of him.
This morning, the Lord told me that as long as I make the decision to NOT move back to California where I'd be closer to grandkids, brother, sisters, and a wonderful mother in law, I'm giving my husband's son a lot of power! I'm allowing fear of him dictate how often I see all the rest of the family!! I thanked the Lord graciously for His word this morning. Then, tonight, I sat down to my computer and opened this devotion. AMAZING affirmation. God is so good. ALL THE TIME!! I will not fear and I will not give fear any power over anything in my life!!! God will have the victory!!

Blogger RedWritingHood said...

How amazing. God's timing is awesome. This was exactly what our pastor spoke about today. My favorite part was where he asked "How do you think Peter got BACK to the boat?" It doesn't say, but I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't drag him back... he WALKED WITH HIM. That was something for me... even when we feel the fear, even when it appears that we've taken a small step of faith and failed, Jesus is still there.

He won't throw his arms up in the air and say "jeez louise, I have given you so many chances and you STILL doubt me?" No, he just takes our hand and says it's ok, he's there. We just walk with him and see what faith feels like.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits