Exposed
By Micca Monda Campbell

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” I John 1:9 (NIV)

I have a talent for embarrassing myself. A few years ago, at one of our Proverbs 31 She Speaks Conferences, I was in the elevator on my way to a meeting, when I noticed that my panty hose were sagging. I had been running non-stop since the conference began, so naturally I needed to freshen up. I figured since I was the only one in the elevator, it was safe to lift up my skirt, bend over, and pull up my hose. I’m sure you have done something similar.

When I entered the elevator at the bottom floor, it had a back wall. As I rode the elevator from one floor to the next, bent over tugging at my hose, I noticed something had changed. The back wall had transformed into a glass wall! This hotel was built in a circle. This design meant that all of the glass elevators overlooked the center of hotel as they moved up and down. What was in the center of the hotel? It was the open hotel dinning area. What time of day was it? You guessed it. It was dinnertime. Just my luck, the room was packed with people who had a prime view of me with my skirt up, arranging my hose. Little did they know they were going to get both dinner and a show that evening!

I was horrified! Aren’t we all when a side of us is exposed that we’d rather keep covered? I think sin is like that. We try to hide it, but at some point it reveals itself - leaving us embarrassed, sorrowful, and ashamed.

Other times we manage to keep our sin concealed from people, but that only gives us the false illusion that no one can see it. While others may not, we forget that God can see all. And He doesn’t need a glass wall to see what is hidden either.

What does our sin do the heart of God? The Bible says that our sin grieves the Holy Spirit within us (Ephesians 4:30, NIV; paraphrased). I don’t know about you, but knowing that I can grieve the heart of God grieves my own heart. Not only am I ashamed, but I feel separated from God. The good news is when we are in Christ, God doesn’t remember our record of sins. What He remembers is when we believe Him.

The Apostle Paul tells us, “Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness" (Galatians 3:6, NIV). Therefore, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (I John 1:9). That’s a promise. There is no need to hide our sin or defend our wrong actions when we can simply confess it and receive God’s forgiveness.

You and I need to understand that Jesus doesn’t expose our sin to embarrass us or condemn us. God didn’t send Christ into the world to condemn but to save. When you and I sin, God is simply waiting for us to confess it so He can deal with it in us and for us. In the instant we confess, Christ is ready and willing to make all things new. That newness is something for all to see!

Dear Lord, I confess to you my sin of _________. I’m sorry that my sin grieves your heart. Cleanse me and restore my relationship with You. Fill me once more with your peace and presence, In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

Micca Campbell’s Testimony DVD

Visit Micca’s blog

God’s Purpose for Every Woman: A P31 Devotional Gen Eds. Lysa TerKeurst & Rachel Olsen

Application Steps:
When you know that you have sinned against God, confess it immediately. Don’t wait.

Reflections:
Do you often try to hide your sin, or are you quick to confess it?

In what ways are you like Judas?

How are you betraying yourself by not confessing your sin?

Power Verses:
Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (NIV)

Romans 10:9, “That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (NIV)

Ephesians 1:7, “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sin, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.” (NIV)


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Micca..I'm so sorry but your story gave me such a good laugh but truly I wasn't laughing at you...

I was wondering how you were going to draw a spiritual truth from this most embarrassing moment! Truly Exposed!

I agree completely about sin and hidden secrets: everything in the dark will be brought to the light.

I love the newness of Christ and that squeaky clean feeling! Thanks Micca for your sweet spirit that's so sensitive to His Spirit and sharing with us from His Spirit and heart. I think even God got a chuckle from this one!(LOL)(LOL)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS WEBSITE HAS BEEN A BLESSING TO MY LIFE AND I LOOK FORWARD TO WHAT IS SENT OUT THROUGH YOU ALL FROM THE LORD. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FOR IT IS TRULY HELPING ME TO FIND MY WAY BACK TO JESUS. I LOVE YOU AND I THANK YOU.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this embarrassing episode in your life and even being able to learn from it.It is truly a comfort to realize that when God allows our sin to be exposed that He doesn't do it to shame us but so we will realize we need to come to Him for forgiveness and restoration.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits