Marriage Storms
By Melanie Chitwood

“O taste and see that the Lord is good!” Psalm 34:8 (NAS).

During my husband Scott’s early piloting days, he rented a Cessna and flew me to Memphis to visit my sister. I was excited to fly in such a small plane and to have my very own husband as the pilot! While we were there, the weather took a turn for the worse and a winter storm was unexpectedly on its way. Scott was a novice pilot, and I could tell that the prospects of ice or snow were making him pretty scared. He called his flight instructor several times for advice—which made me quite nervous! That night neither of us slept well, as we worried about flight conditions the next day.

We woke up at 4 a.m. to go the airport. As Scott readied the plane, I noticed how worried he seemed, so I tried not to aggravate him with unnecessary questions, such as, Are we going to crash and die? I remember thinking that if something did happen in this winter storm, at least I’d be where I wanted to be—right next to my husband.

That’s the way I want to feel during the “storms” in our marriage as well. I’ve witnessed time and time again that God can use the storms in our marriage to draw my husband and I closer together. At times, the most rewarding closeness between us has followed a relational “storm.” God uses the trials in my marriage to bring my husband and I closer together and also closer to Him, both individually and as a couple.

I entered into marriage with my own ideas of how living happily-ever-after would go, and it didn’t include storms. But I’ve found that sometimes happily-ever-after exists on the other side of some hardships. Times of brokenness in our marriage can be the very experiences that shape us and lead us to enjoy sweet fellowship with the Lord and with each other.

Dear Lord, We know that in our marriage we will face storms. Lord, I pray that the storms will draw us together, not divide us. I pray that in during any hardships, challenges, or stress that we face individually or as a couple, that we will come out the other side closer to one another and closer to You. Help us not to be anxious or fearful during a storm. Instead, let us stand firmly on Our Rock, with You, Lord, as our firm foundation. Let us have peace that passes human understanding, as we draw on Your supernatural strength. We know that You can bring good out of horrible situation. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
What a Husband Needs from His Wife by Melanie Chitwood

Appreciating Your Differences, Online Article by Paula Friedrichsen

The Man You Always Wanted is the One You Already Have by Paula Friedrichsen

Do You Know Jesus?

Application Steps:
Make a list of specific actions you can take to “taste” the goodness of God during a marriage storm. Be sure to apply one to today’s storm or to remember them for future storms.

Seek out a Christian counselor or a Christian couple to help you during the storm you’re facing.

Reflections:
During stressful times, do you and your husband stand strongly together, or do you tend to turn against one another?

In one of the power verses, we’re told to be thankful in all circumstances. How does this differ from being thankful for all circumstances?

Power Verses:
Matthew 19:26, “…Jesus said to them, ‘With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” (NAS)

1 Thessalonians 5:18, “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus” (NLT)


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, you survived the flight! I am thankful to report that my marriage has survived some tumultuous moments, only by the grace of my God who sustains and upholds by his mighty hands. Thank you for sharing this encouragement.

peace~elaine

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hoping this is God speaking to me letting me know that he will reconcile my marriage. Last week the word was that he wanted to start looking for someone else. Between notes from him today (his words still not that great) and this devotion, hopefully this is God letting me know that he will get us through this storm. I will keep praying it is what God has planned for me. thank you

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pray for a friend of mine who has committed adultery with another woman. It seemed to be a really good marriage, but looks can be deceiving. I cannot share this with any of my regular prayer warriors, so please, Proverbs 31 ladies, lift this woman and her marriage up in prayer. The name of Jesus Christ holds so much power! I know that God's will is to restore what the enemy has seeked to destroy, and we must overcome that enemy!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In reply to the second blogger, I am in a similar situation. I too am praying for a reconciled marriage. I am praying for your marriage now too. I know the pain you are feeling. Be encouraged sister in Christ, and constantly recommitt your marriage to God, and your anxieties about it too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going through a hard time too. Fights due to our finance, daughter is pregnant at 19 yrs, and husband blames me for all the problems. He's said he's leaving us by August and I should sell the house and start a life with my kids without him. I am hurt and unable to pray for reconciliation. I am unable to forgive him, and I need your prayers.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It always amazes me when I read of marriages that are going through storms. Like so many others out there my marriage is also going through a storm. I have been served with divorce papers. I can't imagine it being any worst. However, I am holding on to God's promises that were made to me. I'm expecting restoration and reconciliation between my husband and myself. Please pray for us as I pray for you. Hold onto the promises of God. When can survive these storms and be encouragement through testimonies and the sharing of the miracles God has done in our lives. "To God be the glory!"

Blogger najune said...

I am new to ur site. However I want to give God thanks for the devotion and trhe blogs. Let us pray that every marriage going through stormy times will be healed and we will have testimonies that can help others who are going through the ir own storms. I moved out of my house just two weeks ago for one week. It has helped somewhat, we are fully reconciled, but i no that God will bring us there. it was due to infidelity. sisters hold on, there is nothing impossible for God.

Blogger sandilbeach said...

I went through 25 years of storms, then divorced for 7 years. I am happy to report that through prayer, God's grace and forgiveness, my husband and I have reconciled and remarried. It was a beautiful day, January 1, 2008. Our best man from our first wedding and our 21 year old "pray warrior" daughter stood up for us. We work very hard to honor the miracle that God has given us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank God for all the encouraging life stories. I am young 26 and my husband is 29. We have four beautiful children. My husband and I have been through storms in our short marriage of only 7 years. I just recently found out that my husband is addicted to other drugs besides weed plus also lustfulness. I am holding on to Gods word but it hurts so bad. Times when he doesnt come home for days at a time, or if he comes in its really late. Finding condoms in his pocket and just knowing whats going on. I have done all I can do so I standing. Thats all I got left. Its hard when I look around and I see so many marriages ending in divorce especially christian marriages. But I believe God and I know that his word can not come back to void. But it hurts. We are in preforeclosure, no heat no hot water behind on all the bills. But I'm standing on Gods word and knowing that even in this he will get all the glory. Sometimes I feel like a fool.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits