A Beautiful Balance
By Zoe Elmore

“I no longer live, but Christ lives in me” Galatians 2:20a (NIV)

One morning I was looking in the mirror in order to “put on my face” before leaving for work and I heard the Lord whisper to my heart, “Baby girl, why do you spend more time ‘putting on your face’ than you spend on your face before me each morning?” Oh my goodness; what a powerful question! My heart sank as I put the cosmetics away. The Lord was right; I was spending more time gazing in the mirror instead of gazing into His word and at His face. Once again I was living like the old person I was before receiving Christ and not the new person I had been transformed into. Once again, I had allowed myself to consider outer beauty more important that inner beauty.

Now don’t misunderstand me, I’m not suggesting that it become necessary to put away my cosmetics forever and go through life looking less than presentable. Honey, that is not going to happen! I haven’t left the house without a little lip gloss and mascara since I was fourteen. What I am suggesting is returning to the delicate balance of spending time “on my face” before the Lord each morning before spending time “putting on my face.” It’s remembering that as a believer, Christ has moved in and taken up residence within my heart and within my life.

As I allow this relationship to grow, my life will demonstrate His presence and others will see past my carefully applied make-up to the make up of my heart. Proverbs 31:30 is the perfect reminder of this fact, “Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting: but the woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” (NIV)

I want to encourage you who share my struggle with balancing inner and outer beauty. While the temptation to consider outer beauty more important than inner beauty is present; that temptation has no more power over those who believe in Christ. Because Christ lives in every believer there is hope and power available to live life in proper balance. When our desire for outer beauty is balanced with our desire for inner beauty, our lives demonstrate Paul’s words in Galatians 2:20a, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.” (NIV)

If we will spend more time “on our face” instead of “putting on our face,” God will change us from the inside out and we will experience beautiful balance!

Dear Lord, forgive me for putting more importance on my outer beauty. Thank you for calling me into your presence and reminding me that while outer beauty fades, Your presence never fades. Empower my life to demonstrate Galatians 2:20. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Dear Jesus by Sarah Young

Because, Worship CD by Gwen Smith

God’s Purpose for Every Woman: A P31 Devotional Gen Eds. Lysa TerKeurst & Rachel Olsen

Visit Zoe Elmore’s blog

Application Steps:
Begin each day “on your face” before the Lord. Allow Him to guide your thoughts and actions and you will experience a life of balance.

When you fail, quickly confess it and surrender again. Soon others will see past your make-up to the make up of your heart.

Reflections:

What can you do to ensure a beautiful balance in your life?

Are there other areas of your life that need balance?

Power Verses:
I Corinthians 15:57, “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (NIV)

Romans 12:1-2, “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world; but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is the acceptable and perfect will of God.” (NKJ)


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just about to hop in the shower and get ready and then spend time with the Lord. He has called me into His presence FIRST through you. Thank you!!

Blogger recoverydm said...

I am a very busy women and I seem to spend less and less time with God. But Through you God has soon me that I need to slow down and spend more time with him. If I do that I will have more time to do the things that HAS to be done.
Thank you and God Bless!!

Blogger Kathy said...

I so desperately need to make time for God in the morning! It's very hard for me to find a quiet time to do so. Hubby gets home from work any where between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. and half the time my youngest ends up before I can get up. LOL But I AM going to find a way. I know, after reading today's devotion, that I have to. I know it would make my day so much better.

Blogger eph2810 said...

Your message smacked me right in the face - you are right. He gives us the inner beauty which will also take care of our outer beauty. Thank you so much for sharing.

Be blessed today and always...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the gentle reminder of where I need to be.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits