Trust is the Word of the Day
By Lysa TerKeurst

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight.” Proverbs 3: 5-6 (NIV)

I have been up most of the night with a sick child. The fever, coughing, aching, can't sleep a wink kind of yuck has hopped on my Ashley. The same Ashley that is supposed to be competing in our state gymnastics meet this weekend. She has been healthy and feeling great all week... but yesterday things just sort of fell apart.

The state meet is the pinnacle of the gymnastic season. It determines which girls will go on to the regional competition. I know in the grand scheme of life, this pales in comparison to many more serious matters. But, in her little world this is a really big deal.

To a mom watching her little girl in tears over this, it is certainly a recipe for getting all worked into a tizzy, as we say in the south. But I am making a conscious choice to refuse Tizzy's invitation and instead embrace whatever it is God is wanting to teach us in this situation.

Trust is the word of the day.

But sometimes trust is an awfully big pill to swallow - especially when it means taking a completely different route than what you were expecting. That's why we must choose to trust despite our feelings.

I am choosing to trust God and stand on His promises even when my feelings beg me to feel confused and uncertain. Proverbs 3:5-6 remind us, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your path straight."

I have walked with the Lord through enough disappointments to know His path is the best path. When we ask Him to take a certain turn that we think looks so good and He says no, it is for our good.

His "no" could be for our PROTECTION... protecting us from something we can't see. Maybe this sickness is the very thing God is using to protect Ashley from attending today's practice and getting severely hurt. Maybe she won't even be able to compete at all this weekend. And maybe that is His protection as well.

His "no" could be for our PROVISION... providing something so much better than what we thought was the best thing. In our minds the best thing would be for Ashley to compete feeling her best. But she had her best meet of this entire year, with a sinus infection and ear ache. Who knows? Only God...so whether she competes or not, we are certain of His provision.

His "no" could simply be part of the PROCESS of growing Ashley closer to Himself... when we are weak, only then can we truly understand how He can be our strength. Whether that is strength to compete, or strength to let this dream die, I pray she embraces this part of the process of growing closer to God.

Dear Lord, I trust you Lord. I trust your plan. I trust your goodness. I trust what you can see and I can't. I trust you with it all Lord. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst

Today’s P31 Radio Show

Visit Lysa’s blog to read the rest of this story If this situation speaks to your heart, though your circumstances might be different, I'd love for you to tell me by posting a comment on my blog. I’ll have a prayer team praying over the comments today.

Application Steps:

Verbalize your trust in God for a specific situation right now. Think of a situation that has been troubling you lately. Then tell God, “I trust you God. I trust you to handle ________________. I trust you when I see good things coming from my trust. And I trust you when I don’t understand at all. Give me the courage to trust you long enough to walk to a place of peace with _______________________.

Reflections:
What stops me from trusting in God?

Is there any way that I can truly control this situation?

Isn’t it more comforting to leave what I can not control in the hands of God who is completely capable?

Power Verses:
John 16: 33, “I have told you these things, so that you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (NIV)

Isaiah 55:9, “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (NIV)

Jeremiah 29:13, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (NIV)


7 Comments:

It's so true, but also so hard. When you are deep in the valley you just want to get out. Good reminder to just trust. Thank you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So why is this trust thing so difficult? God has proved himself faithful again and again! When are we gonna get that?! Thank you so much for your reminder and insights. He can be trusted in EVERY situation. "If God brings you to it, He will take you through it." Amen? This is our motto at home. Blessings to you, dear friends.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This devo applies to a horrendous situation that we have in our family now. But reading this has helped me to be able to rejoice in God's plan and His love knowing that all will be well thru this difficult time because He is walking with us. We really can rest in Him. Praise His holy Name!!

Blogger Purpleptgal said...

Funny...just as I opened todays devo I received a text message from my daughter saying she wants to move to Florida for her senior year and stay with her aunt...my first thought was what have I done wrong...i wanted to cry, get angry...you know the drill...then....I read "Trust is the word of the day"...Thank you...when disaster seems to come down, God speaks to our hearts (through many different avenues) and wakes us up to Him. I just had to share. God Bless you all

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I needed this! Thank you!!! I am in the middle of searching for a job for next school year and the jobs seem few and far between in our area. I interviewed last night for a job that I think would be great in the town where I live. This devo reminds me to Trust in the Lord. He closed the door to my current job and clearly told me that this is not where I should be. He WILL provide a job that is where I am suppose to be!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In thinking about your daughter, Ashley, and the disappointment in "her little world" I remembered a quote by Mark Twain:

"Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size."

I always enjoy the devotions that each of you make on Proverbs 31 Ministries!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lysa: On a lighter note, I loved your comment about not accepting "Tizzy's invitation"! That's a great reminder to stay calm and let the Holy Spirit guide us. As Patsy Clairmont says, "emotions don't have brain cells!"

P.S. I'm praying for Ashley, that she'll come to trust God much earlier & easier than most of us have!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits