Green Pastures
By Susanne Scheppmann

“He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.” Psalm 23:2-3 (NIV)

“He makes me lie down in green pastures.” This familiar verse resonates with feelings of peace and rest. I always visualize a meadow with a bubbling brook whispering to me, “No cares. No worries.”

However, recently at small group women’s Bible study, new images of this verse began to develop. We were studying Priscilla Shirer’s, He Speaks to Me. One of the thought-provoking questions was, “What is your green pasture?”

As our group discussed this question, the following responses emerged:

“My children – I love being a mother,” stated a mother who had lost one child to cancer.

“Bubble baths and reading for hours,” replied a woman who serves in ministry.

“I like to crawl into bed at night – just resting and knowing the day is over,” said a woman who teaches at a local high school.

These responses caused me to ponder “green pastures” for days. What makes a green pasture a place where He makes us lie down and restores our souls? It certainly isn’t always a place of beauty and serenity.

I believe that green pastures vary with the individual, the season of life, and the quiet place God has chosen for us to enjoy life. If asked today, “What are your green pastures, Susanne?” I could say being a mother, bubble baths, great books, and crawling into bed anticipating a good night’s sleep. I could add dining out with my husband, rocking my grandchildren, and taking an afternoon nap.

Green pastures are the times and places in life that restore and refresh our souls from the ordinary wear and tear of the daily grind. Jesus desires to lead us to a place of quiet water out of the storms of life. However, we must look around our mundane lives to discover our local green pastures and then scurry to the side of the Shepherd so He can make us lie down in them.

Lord Jesus, You provide green pastures for Your children to rest in. Help me to open my eyes to my places of rest. Reveal to my weary soul the things in life that bring me refreshment and joy. Finally, I ask that You make me lie down and rest. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources
Do You Know Him?

He Speaks To Me, by Priscilla Shirer

Perplexing Proverbs: A Women’s Bible Study, by Susanne Scheppmann

Visit Susanne’s Blog

Application Steps
Make a list of your seven favorite activities. Then, if possible, try to complete one a day for a week. Ask the Shepherd to help you find your own green pastures.

Reflections

What are green pastures for me?

How can I make time for my green pastures?

Do I allow or encourage my family to find time for their own green pastures?

Power Verses
Psalm 46:4, “There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. (NIV)

Revelation 7:17, “For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." (NIV)


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading my morning devotional is my green pasture! I have decided this is part of my new morning routione - the most important part of my day - a Jesus recharge! Better than coffee!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful to have read this devotional today. I've been feeling so frazzled and frustrated lately. I haven't been in the green pastures to rest or be restored. Thank God for this site.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My nightly devotion is my green pasture. There's nothing more better to end my day than some time spent with my Savior and my Best Friend.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this refreshing insight on "Green Pastures " I am truly refreshed and it helped me to look at daily life with a whole new meaning . God bless.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful to God that I am able to stay home with my new son. This is my greed pasture. See I feel happy and loved all day. In the last few months, I have been so blessed. I am able to take care of my husband and my son. I love being there for my family. It also allows more time for me too. I have always been awful about keeping touch with loved ones, and my devotions. Now I am able to have time for myself too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have webpages where I post blogs for my friends. I am wondering if you 'd allow me to use some of your devotionals here for my blogs . If you will permit me, I will of course post the entirety of the devotinal with your name as author and source. Thank you.

Blogger Renee Swope said...

We are honored that women want to post our devotions on their blogs. We are fine with it as long as it's posted in its entirety with the author and Proverbs 31 Ministries listed, as well as a link back to our devotions blog.

Blessings,
Renee

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits