Angels on the Lookout
Glynnis Whitwer

"For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; ..." Psalm 91:11(NIV)

I woke up at 4 a.m. on a Saturday. No noise disturbed my sleep. No dog licked my faced. I just woke up. There was no prompting to do anything special, so I just got up and started my day early. Around 2 p.m. I started to fade, and stopped to rest on the couch. My son Robbie snuggled up next to me and we enjoyed a few moments together.

To explain my exhaustion, I mentioned to Robbie how early I'd awakened.

"That's weird, Mom," Robbie said. I woke up at 4 o'clock too."

"Why didn't you come downstairs?" I asked. "We could have spent the early morning together."

He got very still and silent, with an odd look on his face. "I was afraid to get up," he replied. I looked fully at Robbie and asked what had frightened him. "I thought I saw a man sitting in the chair beside my bed," Robbie answered sheepishly, a little embarrassed in the daylight of what had scared him in the dark.

In a moment of divine revelation, and without a pause, I responded, "Robbie, I'm not surprised you saw someone sitting by your bed at night. I've been praying for angels to protect you every day. And since you were a baby, I've prayed for God to send His biggest, strongest angels to watch over you and your brothers. Robbie, I think you got to see an angel this morning."

Relief flooded his features and together we grinned in delight at what God had allowed Robbie to see. Emboldened by my belief in his story and in God's protection, Robbie proceeded to share another sighting -- one that involved what looked like a man dressed in battle fatigues and on guard at the back window. He told me he hadn't said anything before because he thought people would make fun of him.

I told Robbie that for generations, angels had scared almost everyone who saw them. Who wouldn't be afraid at someone appearing where he shouldn't be? Just look at the Christmas story. Zechariah was "gripped with fear" when the angel Gabriel appeared to tell him he would be the father of John the Baptist -- the prophet who would tell about Jesus. Mary was told to "not be afraid" by the angel who told her she would bear a child. The shepherds were "terrified" when they saw an angel and heard of the birth of their Savior Jesus.

Heavenly messengers, our protectors, and worshippers of God -- angels have many roles. The Bible says they are created beings (Hebrews 7:7) and that we have probably seen and entertained angels without realizing it (Hebrews 13:2). But the Biblical description of angels that brings me the most personal comfort is that of protector. Psalm 91 speaks of God's care for us in this manner, "For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone" (Psalm 91: 11-12).

As Christmas ends and I prepare for the New Year, I thank God for angels. Just as they appeared to Zechariah, Mary, the shepherds and others, they still appear today. In fact, I believe they appeared to a 12-year-old boy at the response of his mother's prayers for that boy's protection. Miracles still happen!

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You so much for answering my prayers for protection. Thank You for loving us so much that You command Your angels to watch over us. Help me be more aware of Your work in this world -- through what I can see and what I can't see. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

Worship: Nearing the Heart of God by Brian T. Anderson & Glynnis Whitwer

The Air I Breathe by Louie Giglio

Visit Glynnis' Blog

Application Steps:
Using a Bible concordance, look up 5-10 references to angels. Write down their biblical characteristics. Compare that list to some popular beliefs about angels. (A concordance organizes Scripture verses by topic and words found in the verse. Several websites offer free concordances. My favorite is located at http://www.biblegateway.com/)

Reflections:
Read Psalm 91. What does it mean to dwell in the shelter of the Most High?

What does the psalmist say God will protect us from?

Have you ever known that God was with you in a time of trouble? How did God reveal Himself to you at that time?

Power Verses:
Luke 1:27b-28, "The virgin's name was Mary. The angel went to her and said 'Greetings, you who are highly favored. The Lord is with you." (NIV)

Psalm 34:7, "The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them." (NIV)

Exodus 23:20, "See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared." (NIV)

Labels: , , , , , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Sisterlisa said...

How very special. I had an angel come to me in my hospital room when I had my son Timmy 5 years ago. She took very good care of me and none of the other nurses, nor the charge nurse, knew who she was. Yet on my chart she wrote more about me and my son than any other nurse did and she spent more time with me than any of them. She catered to all my needs and even gave me a hug. I described her to them and they had no idea who I was talking about.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I had my third child, I had a nurse like sisterlisa's angel. I called her an angel but didn't really think she was an angel. She was most kind, gentle and was wonderful to me in every way. Not only that but my church had been praying for me because I asked them to since I was worried about having that baby. So maybe she was an angel. Whether or not an angel, God used her greatly to help me and I considered her to be an answer to prayer and thank God for her.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my son was 9 years old I came face-to-face with his guardian angel. My son had recently accepted Jesus during VBS, we and some of our friends went to the local lake after VBS that day. My son drowned. It is as simple as that. Except it wasn't. A man noone on the shore knew went into the water and brought my son up and out in his arms. I knew he was dead by the sight of his lifeless body in this man's arms. I stood there crying out "Oh God, No!". The angel took my face in his hand and made me look him in the eye and said "Mother, he lives!". At that exact second my son took a breath and opened his eyes. No resussitation, nothing. He was alive because God sent him to us that day. As I took my son into my arms I turned back to thank this man and he was gone. No one had seen him walk away, not our friends or the others at the lake. What I remember about this angel is his blue eyes. I've always felt like looking into his eyes was like getting a look into heaven.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits