Cleansed by Grace
By Micca Monda Campbell

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleans us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 NKJ).

When you step into a mud puddle, do you become mud or muddy? You become muddy. You don’t turn into the substance of mud. You simply get a little dirty. It’s nothing that a foot washing can’t cure.

Likewise, once you and I have been cleansed from our past, present, and future sins through Jesus Christ, we become a clean, brand new person. Once in a while, we’re going to trip up and step into sin, but that doesn’t mean we become the old person that we once were. No, it means we simply need a foot washing.

Remember that sacred night after supper when Jesus took a towel and began washing the disciple’s feet? Peter was appalled! He couldn’t conceive why Jesus would stoop to a servant’s job and wash his feet. Yet, in those days, it was customary for the host to wash the feet of their guest as an act of love. While Jesus was modeling love along with humble service, His actions also symbolized daily spiritual cleansing.

Jesus explained to Peter that without cleansing no one could have a part of Him (John 13: 8). Desiring Jesus above all, Peter preferred not only his feet to be washed, but his entire body as well. Yet, there was no need, for Peter had already been made clean. He only needed to wash the day’s mud from his feet. Through this humble display, Jesus reveals to us a beautiful example of how we can be cleansed by grace as we daily confess our sins.

Sometimes though, we often experience shame when we sin against our Savior causing us to yearn for cleansing all over just as Peter did. However, Jesus is there to remind us that His grace is sufficient. There is no commendation for those who have been washed in His blood, forgiven by grace, and kept by the power of His love.

Not only do we need a daily foot washing, our brothers and sisters do as well. Often when we’ve been sinned against, we want to sling mud at that person. Instead, we should offer them the same love, humble service, and grace that we have received.

Daily, we should wash one another’s feet in the pool of forgiveness. Feet that have been washed by the Savior are feet that will run swiftly to wash another’s. For how can we condemn our brothers and sisters when we, too, have stood in the same mud puddle?

Once you and I have been cleansed through salvation, it never needs repeating. On occasion, however, we may need to purge a little mud. Still, as we agree with God about our sin, Jesus, in an act of love, takes a towel and a handful of grace and kneels to wash our feet. John promises us in our key verse “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleans us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 NKJ).

Dear Lord, open my eyes so that I can perceive the Your grace that You freely lavish upon me daily. Then, Lord, by the same token given to me, help me dispense Your grace upon others as well, in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources
Visit
Micca’s Blog

Micca Campbell's Testimony DVD

Do You Know Him?

Application Steps
Wash someone’s feet today by offering him or her forgiveness.

Reflections
Are you free from self-condemnation?

Are you allowing Jesus to wash your feet through daily confession?

Are you quick to forgive others as you have been forgiven?

Power Verses
Romans 8:1, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (NIV).

Mathew 26:28, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins” (NIV).

2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (NIV)


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have learned giving up my beliefs about myself is not easy. I see GODS grace through my own eyes. How can we let go of judgement.I am a life time christion. I worry about being lost due to inconsistancy . I have this strong notion it is 100% or I am lost. I place this only on myself.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do we do this??? Why are we so hard on ourselves? I have such a hard time forgiving and get so down on myself for it. I don't have a hard time forgiving the little things but the people in my life (my father and brother-in-law) constantly do things that are so hurtful, selfish, narcissitic really...and I find myself no longer able to forgive them...then I get so angry at myself...my husband actually said to me out of total frustration one day..."you're not Jesus...only He can forgive like that..." but where does that leave me...I feel sad and guilty that I'm unable to forgive...I'm so lost...I feel like I don't deserve God's grace because I can't get past the anger and just forgive them...part of the problem is that when I do forgive them...they just do something else that starts all the wheels in motion again and then it all comes crashing down and I realize I haven't truly forgiven because I recall all the past actions I thought I'd let go through forgiveness. I am a Christian and have been for many years...though I have a hard time saying that because I find forgiveness of certain people so difficult...Signed, Drowning and discouraged.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaining the story of Jesus and Peter. I have always struggled with understanding Peter's reaction and Jesus' response as far as washing the whole body. It is finally made clear to me.

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Drowning and Discouraged
Thank you for your transparency. I can sooooo realate! When my alchoholic parents were alive I so struggled with forgiving them for there actions toward me. Then I heard somone say that my expectations were to high for them. They dont have the capacity to love me like I needed to be loved and until I realized that I was just going to continue to be hurt and angry. If your father and Bro in law do not have a real relationship with the Lord they are living by different standards than you. Love them with the love of they Lord based on who they are, not who you WANT them to be. They may never be who you invisioned or need them to be. I had to find other people in my life that could fill that void and lean on my Heavenly father even more when my earthly father wasnt there. When I did this with my parents I was so much happier!!! Im not saying that the Lord cant change them, Im just saying to love them where there at now and don't expect from them what they cant give. Im only 38 and have lost both parent these past couple of years and wish I could have heard this earlier so that the time I had left with them could have been better. I will be really praying for you! Hugs Dionne

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear dionne, Thanks for taking the time to respond...it's funny, I was just putting away Christmas decorations and contemplating my "expectations"...they get me every time! Then I read your response and was not only very moved but also in awe...God answers prayers all over the place... WOW! So, know that I appreciate your words and they do make so much sense...and I too will pray for you...I'm sorry for the loss of your parents...I am fortunate to still have my parents and will totally try to take your advice and love my dad (and bro-in-law too)for who he is...knowing I can't change him, and I will continue to pray that the Lord will...for my mom's sake too! You sound like an amazing person and again I thank you for taking the time...it helped A LOT! Happy New Year and God Bless you!

Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Drowning
Isn't God awesome!! I call that a God-a-wince not a coincedence. Thank you for your kind words but the Lord gets all the glory for my reply because I usually dont reply to people (especially when you didnt even ask for my input, LOL) but your comments stirred me up inside and I felt Gods prompting to share what what I did with you.
No you've inspired me to take my Christmas decorations down!! Just curious... what state do you live in. I live in a small town in Oregon called LaPine.
Have a blessed day!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dionne, Hi again! Another amazing devotion today! Kind of left me speechless...I live in Stevenson Ranch, CA. But small world that it is...we have a home in Cannon Beach , OR. We just returned from spending time there after Christmas.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits