Concentrating on Consecration

Wendy Pope

“Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you." Joshua 3:5 (NIV)

I recently spent a weekend serving and teaching a group of women in beautiful Pennsylvania. The focus of our weekend was getting up close and personal with God. It’s a frightening thought; I have to admit, getting up close and personal with God. When you get up close and personal with God you see who you really are in the light of who He is.

When I’m preparing to teach I often underestimate God's power to teach me through the process. God and I spent months preparing for this particular weekend. In the final days of preparation He took me to an unexpected place in the book of Joshua. In chapter 3 verse 5, Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you." God wouldn’t let me forget or dismiss this scripture. As I prayed and He pursued, I realized He was stepping on my toes, bringing me up close and personal with Him.

I routinely ask God to do amazing things in my life, to wow me with His presence and power. I want to be a part of the work He is doing in my world, but sometimes I fail to recognize Him. Let me correct that, many times I fail. I’ve wondered, "Why did I miss the amazing when He was right there up close and personal with me?” The Lord used this scripture in Joshua to help me understand why I sometimes miss some of the amazing things He does – I’m not concentrating on staying consecrated.

In the chapter the Lord, through Joshua, was getting ready to finally lead His people to the Promised Land. He commanded Joshua to tell everyone to "consecrate themselves." In other words, "prepare yourselves because I am going to do something incredible and I don't want you to miss it."

I knew exactly what He was telling me through this story. He wanted me to consecrate myself by turning off a certain television show. I was to stop watching a certain show that I knew I should not be watching. Turning it off has been easier than I thought. I love that God equips us to do what He asks us to do (2 Timothy 2:7). Now, instead of watching that show, I pray at night asking God to prepare me for tomorrow as I sleep. Now, I am watching for the amazing!

How about you? Are you preparing for amazing signs of God, consecrating yourself, setting yourself apart from the world? I believe if every Christian would do this, we’d be wowed by God. I want to challenge you to ask God what you need to do to consecrate yourself for the amazing things He has planned for you. If you ask, He will respond.

Dear Lord, I know that You are working all the time. I want to actively participate in what You are doing. Help me know what I should do to consecrate myself for the amazing things you have in store. I don't want to miss the amazing things you do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources
She Speaks conference

God’s Purpose for Every Woman: a P31 Women’s Devotional, Gen. Editors Lysa TerKeurst and Rachel Olsen

The P31 Woman Magazine

Listen to or Read Today's P31 Radio Show

Application Steps
Pray and ask God to reveal any dirt in your heart. Also ask Him to send you a reminder that you are loved by Him.

Reflections
Have you received criticism lately? Have you asked God whether or not it was founded? Is your heart wounded? Have you asked God to mend it?

Power Verses
Zephaniah 3:17, “He will quiet you with His love.” (NIV)

Psalm 139:23-24, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (NIV)

Labels: , , , , , ,



12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This devotion was right on time because I am consecrating this week and asking GOD to directe me, lead me, and insructed me, I am asking for answer to somethings I dont understand stand but I know in his timing HE will give me the answer. I was not sure if It was me or GOD leading me this why but know I know it was HIM and thats why the enemgy is trying to fight me hard. Please keep me in paray this week. Thank Dena Little

Blogger Unknown said...

Consecrate..... I looked it up. The definition means "set apart".
How does You want me to consecrate (set apart) myself?
By MAKING time for You. Yes, MAKING time!! I make time for everyone else but the very one that gives me breath very often get last dibs of my time. Forgive me Lord! I want all the amazing things you have for my life! Purge me from myself! Thank you for sweetly leading me to this site and bless them for their ministry.
I give You this next year and desire Your will not mine!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is huge for me... I need to consecrate my feelings, my relationships, and my work to the Lord. Also, I need to anticipate what he is doing in my life.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been praying for a few months now about a few decisions I have to make. I keep feeling like God is "putting off" answering me. Sometimes waiting is the hardest part, but I know He has a reason for everything, including the wait. I just have to be patient and wait for "tomorrow" and the answer to my prayers.

Blogger MinisterinWP said...

Wow, just in time for our consecration at church for souls. God has a way of getting your attention. I have no idea how I linked to this site but am glad that it happened. God sets my path and guides my way. I too am glad for this reading this morning as I've been in a 'funk' but now know that it's because of my lack of consecration to the Lord. Thank you for your posting and may God continue to bless you. You are my assigned angel for this 2nd day of 2008. I'm looking for a change in my life and just received the 1st portion of God's greatness.

Blogger Monica said...

Thank you for this devotional and especially for the Scripture. I read it and sent a prayer to God asking Him what else I needed to give Him and what He wanted me to do. As sure as He is God, He blessed me twice within a 30 minute period! I didn't ask looking for a blessing, but sometimes all He wants to do is bless His children and all we need to do is ask Him out of obedience and a sincere desire to be who He has made us to be.
I pray all who read this devotional will take time to ask Him today.

Blogger nikki said...

Thank you so much for your ministry I am in the valley of decison yet I know God will reveal his way to me if I search his way diligently.

Thanks

Blogger Zena Wynn said...

God's been speaking to me to "consecrate myself to Him." Thanks for this post. It really help shed light and understanding on what He meant.

Blogger tommytailspin said...

To the nameless person who said they are waiting for Gods reply..... are you sure you have prayed and asked God to make your heart right with him. Have you asked to be filled with the Holy spirit??? (Always forgiveness too, praise and thanks). I find that God doesnt wait half as long as we think he will! Not when you have done these things. (Top up on Holy Spirit every day - it really is the best!). Lisa michelle

Blogger tommytailspin said...

by the way. You know when you have the holy spirit - one of the side effects is that it makes you sing songs of praise to God!! Truly. It's an amazing thing.

And for really great bible teachings, Grace to You - John McArthur. Truly.

The Lords prayer ends with the word Amen. It's Hebrew meaning is "Truly".

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for explaining to me what consecration is. Last week the Holy Spirit said to me, Sacrifice yourself for me, consecrate yourself for me that I may fill you. Make me your #1 priority all the days that you seek me. Find me where you haven't looked before! I didn't fully understand what I needed to do. I began to fast and I already have a heavy prayer life. But I must say I felt like there was something more that I needed to do. I just didn't know what. This devotion has brought me clarity. A friend sent me a little booklet entitled, "How to know God's will". The book is so tiny I just put it aside. Something made me read it this morning and it spoke about consecration. The definition it gives for consecration is: committing one's outer man to the Lord so that it will belong to the Lord in the same way that the inner man belongs to the Lord. Consecrate your mind, emotion and will to the Lord in an absolute way. I wasn't doing that. Especially not like how it was when I first got saved. I couldn't even watch tv because is pained me so. I need to go back to that place...I want to go back to that place - and I will! Thank you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the insight on the subject of conscrating. I have looked up some many website and asking about it and know I can set apart time from TV. It is easier for me during the day while the family is away but when they are home oh boy. I am now in the bathroom away from them and the TELL A LIE TO MY VISION. LOL thanks so much for the insight.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits