A Woman’s Price Tag
Bonita Lillie, She Speaks Conference Graduate

“A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.” Proverbs 31:10 (NIV)

I looked like a peacock strutting in full splendor, displaying regal feathers. I was wearing my “coat of many colors,” a plaid sateen jacket, a gift from my sanguine mother who loves color and flair. It felt awkward wearing my mother’s personality. I err to the conservative side, preferring that all eyes not be on me. Uneasily, I slid into one of the front rows of the church, hoping the shine of the jacket wouldn’t distract people from the sermon.

I became engrossed in the service and it wasn’t until after church was over that the jacket came to mind again. My neck was itching and as I reached back to scratch it I was horrified to discover that the price tag to my new jacket was hanging down my back. Worse yet, I wasn’t just on sale, I was on clearance! I guess my fellow worshippers were too embarrassed to tell me.

Unfortunately, many of us are like that jacket. We look good, but we have an imaginary price tag hanging not on our clothes, but on our person. We see ourselves as cheap, not worth much, possibly even on God’s clearance rack. We don’t believe anyone could ever love us and certainly, God could never use us in His plan, but nothing could be further from the truth.

It’s interesting that in Proverbs 31 before God ever addresses the godly woman’s “to do” list, He establishes her worth. Before she ever says or does anything, He deems her worthy, apart from all works and He does it in such a way that we can never forget it. He doesn’t just label her adequate, but He raves about her, ranking her superior to the rarest, most exquisite stones. God’s woman is worth more than costly gems. That woman is you!

Your worth isn’t wrapped up in your accomplishments, possessions, job title, popularity, or looks. It isn’t about what others think of you, good or bad. It doesn’t even matter what you think of yourself. We can be our harshest critic, can’t we? Your worth has nothing to do with any of those things or even your ability to carry out the duties listed in Proverbs 31. You are precious to God simply because you are His child.

The truth is that one day you did have a price tag hanging on you. I Corinthians 6:20 says, “you were bought with a price.” Yet, you weren’t cheap. In fact, it cost God everything to purchase you for Himself. You are one valuable lady, a woman deeply loved and valued by God. You mean the world and all to Him!

Father, when I’m tempted to look down on myself or feel unworthy, help me to hold my head high, knowing that my value doesn’t come from my own feelings, but from You. You say I’m valuable and that is enough. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Him?

The Confident Woman by Anabel Gillham

Beautiful in God's Eyes, The Treasure of the Proverbs 31 Woman by Elizabeth George

Application Steps:
Make eye contact with yourself in a mirror and repeat after me: I have value. I have worth. No matter how I feel, God’s word is true. He loves me. He values me. I am important.

Reflections:
Do you have a favorite piece of jewelry or maybe a certain type of stone that sets your heart a pitter-patter? Take a few moments to think about the beautiful facets of those gems. Ask God to bring this picture to mind when you start to thinking negative thoughts about yourself.

Power Verses:
Proverbs 31:30, “Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” (NIV)

I Peter 3:3-4, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hear and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gently and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” (NIV)

Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (NIV)

Labels: , ,



15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You. This was a blessing for me to read. You reaffirmed my self worth. Thank You!!!!

Blogger Christine Smith said...

it is such a gift to know how much we are worth to God, thanks for a great post!

Blogger Donna said...

Thank you for this beautiful devotional~! It really brought this home it is so many individuals, who been tricked by the enemy into believing that they are not worthy to be a child of God because of their past.

Blogger grammy Deb said...

Thank you for the posting. I'm having a harder time with turning 50 than I ever thought I would. I eased right past 30 and 40, but I'm "feeling" 50. My jowls are sagging along with the rest of my body. My hair is falling out and is dry and brittle. My once great figure(just a year ago) has changed. I've really been feeling old and ugly. I needed this post. I need to be reminded of my worth and beauty to God.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so grateful that God has considered me so valuable that He gave His own Son to die on the cross for me. It does help you to know that as you get older. It is hard to see your body deteriorate especially in our culture. It also helps to know that because our body deteriorates we have more opportunity to depend on the Lord and get to know Him and yet be able to praise Him in spite of new limitations. Our body, especially when it isn't working well, reminds us that someday we will have that perfect body and be with Jesus in heaven. So that really takes the edge off of getting older for me. Plus the knowledge that exercise can keep my body fit and healthy so that I am productive and useful and able to keep up with my grandchildren.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful to be reminded that God considers me worthy because I am His child. As I am going through the struggles in life, and to the point of disappointment and abondon, God is so gracious to remind me of who He is and I am precious in His eyes
He loves me no matter what. Thank you for this post

Blogger Patty said...

Thank you!This is just what I needed today.I was feeling kind of down today.Praise the Lord!!For he is worthy to be praised!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think poorly of my self worth many times, especially when I fail with my children. If I speak harshly to them or yell, I feel like I am unworthy. I am ugly and useless. I fel like a failure, b/c I know that I am not doing what God wants. It's nice to know that my worth is not based on what I do or don't do, I am worthy b/c he loves me b/c I am his and he bought me at a great price. God is enthralled with me.

Dear God, Thankyou that I am more precious than rubies to you. That I am special and you care for me so much. Thank you for the reminder that I am yours not b/c of what I do,but b/c I am yours. My worth lies in you not works. Thank you that my pricetag says priceless, that I ma not on your clearance rack. Help me to stay in your arms where I feel worthy and not stray from there to my own clearance section of guilt and shame. Give me patience today as I am with my kids, loving them and caring for them as you desire. You are a great God and I am so glad thatyoyu are enthralled with me. Help me live that out everyday.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always struggled with my sense of self-worth. I have always fallen into the trap of tying my worth in God's eyes to my accomplishments. Driven by my belief that i need to be perfect I sometimes lose perspective on God's grace. Thank you for this beautiful reminder of my unconditional worth to God.

Anonymous Christine Breed said...

Reading this could not come at a better time. In the face of layoffs I was guilty in putting my self worth into my accomplishments. I feel useless, unworthy of His love and grace. This was a timely reminder to focus on what is truly important.

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! on all the comments...
The "being" is core yet the world, especially the industrialized-world is all about producing isn't it?
Yikes! Easier said than done! I need to re-evaluate a little :)!

Blogger Lena Renae said...

Such a blessing for a college girl struggling to become a strong, Godly woman. Thank you!

Blogger Lena Renae said...

Such a blessing for a college girl struggling to become a strong, Godly woman. Thank you!

Blogger nakeisha said...

Thanks for this post, it was very reassuring!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said.....
I know that it is a blessing that god let us know how precious we womens are we have to believe in
our selves how devine and bless we are!!! 10:40 PM

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits