Fear or Faith – Part Two

Melanie Chitwood

“‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.’” Jeremiah 29:11 (NAS)

I shared in yesterday’s devotion how God challenged me to walk in faith rather than in fear with the words from Deuteronomy 2:3 and 7: “You have circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north...For the Lord your God has blessed you in all that you have done; He has known your wonderings through this great wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you; you have not lacked a thing” (NAS).

I knew that it was time to leave behind the lies of fear and to choose to believe that with God I could do whatever He asked me to do. So right then I prayed, promising God that whatever He asked me to do, I would say yes.

A few days passed and, of course, God provided an opportunity for me to say yes to Him. Lysa TerKeurst, the President of Proverbs 31 Ministries, called and asked me to give a testimony at the P31 She Speaks conference about the influence on my life of Proverbs 31 Ministries. As she filled me in with the details, she explained that I would give this talk in front of one of the general sessions; in other words before about 250 women.

My first thought was No way! I’m going to She Speaks for the writer’s track, not the speaker’s track! However, I knew this was a defining moment for me. I had a choice: was I going to choose fear or faith? I remembered my promise to God, and without giving myself a chance to change my mind, I blurted out, I’ll do it!

A few weeks later as I shared with the audience at She Speaks what an impact the Proverbs 31 ministry had on me, I just wept, for I saw how God had orchestrated all the events in my life to bring me to this point, a point where I would say yes to whatever else He asked me to do.

I went home from the conference, began speaking to local groups and continued writing. One of the articles I wrote was about marriage, and it was published in the P31 Woman magazine. And then an amazing thing happened. Something only God could have done.

Harvest House publishers read my article, contacted me, and asked me to submit a book proposal. Much to my amazement and thankfulness, it was accepted, and my first book What a Husband Needs from His Wife was published. God knew that I had a dream of publishing a book, for it was a dream He put in my heart. When God made this dream come true, I knew He was saying to me, “This is what I created you to do!” As I refused to listen to the lies of fear, I was able to join God in the plans He had for me.

And I never want to go back to being a woman who lives in fear. I want to continue saying yes to God. What about you? Are you ready to say yes to God? The adventure God wants to take us on can be enjoyed only when we’re willing to leave behind the familiarity of the wilderness to join Him in the adventure in the unknown of the Promised Land. That doesn’t mean that we won’t have defeat or failure or missteps. It just means that we press on one step at a time, knowing that God is with us. Psalm 37:24 promises, “When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the Lord is the One who holds his hand” (NAS).

God has a purpose and a plan for each of our lives. He invites us to follow Him, for He knows who we truly are. Following Him is about living out His plan for our lives, instead of letting lies define us or determine the direction of our lives. When we step out in faith to be who God created us to be, we bring Him the greatest glory.

Dear Lord, Thank you that You created me to be Your child. Thank you that You love me and want to hold my hand every step of the way, as I live my life for You. Use all of me to bring You glory. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Do you know Him?

What a Husband Needs from His Wife by Melanie Chitwood

What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst

For the Write Reason, Marybeth Whalen, General Editor

Application Steps:
Today, take one specific step toward reaching your dream.

Read one of the resources listed in today’s devotion or yesterday’s.

Sign up for the Proverbs 31 She Speaks Conference

Reflections:
Do you have a dream that you’ve been afraid to pursue?

What talents and experiences can you use to God’s glory?

Power Verses:
Philippians 3:12-14, “I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.” (MSG)"

Proverbs 16:3, “Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.” (NLT)

Psalm 36:5, “Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.” (NIV)

Labels: , , ,



9 Comments:

Blogger Pam Anderson said...

Dear Melanie,

Thank you for Part 2. What an inspiration your words have been. I have taken a huge leap of faith and will be attending the conference this year. I called today and registered. God is working out the cost, and just as soon as I finish this, I will be booking a motel in the area since all the rooms at the Renaissance Suites Hotel have been booked. (I am praying for a lesser rate). What an affirmation that I should be at this conference...your article. I read scriptural prayers each day. God knew I would be reading the following about "fear" today: Joshua 1:9, John 14:27, Jeremiah 33:3 and Psalm 119:15-16. It was so neat to see you include Psalm 37:24 in today's article. This was the passage God was using to teach me about His amazing comfort that only He can give. I spoke about this very scripture at one of the funerals I had referred to in my comment to yesterday's Daily Devotions article. Thank you again. God is using you in amazing ways!!!

Pam Anderson

Anonymous Anonymous said...

grinning on fear and smiling by faith and the Lord must have a very good sense of humour if He is speaking in my heart today to write a book. i read and write in my journal and yes my reaction would be the same as Moses if He is speaking to me today, because my grammar can be functional, but not enough to convinced and impressed the pharaoh readers grin ;) i am only 33 maybe after seven more years in the wilderness of training and growth there will be more blessings to share from my own life experienced and who knows one day, smiling, you will be reading one of my book laughing with the grammar i have and used to publish a book for the Lord's glory!

Blogger binsy said...

Dear Melanie,
I always say to my boss that there is no such thing as a coincidence and your post today proved it. I had just said to myself today that I am ready to take that leap and do what I can and what God put me here to do. I would ideally like to speak and write but I just don't know how or when these opportunities will come. People have always told me that I am an excellent orator so I think that God gave me this gift in order to touch other people. I guess that He will let me know the when, where, and how. Thank you for the post!
Binsy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pam, anonymous and binsy, I love the way God uses these devotions to encourage and equip the seeking and the saints! I'm excited for all of you to discover the woman God created you to be, which can only be done as we leave fear behind. I pray that each day you will take an action step toward your dream- praying, writing, making a contact, etc. If you can, the She Speaks conference is awesome! It's full this year (although it's awesome Pam squeezed her way in - come meet me!) I also recommend the book For the Write REason, available ont he Proverbs website. blessings! melanei

Blogger KnottyAuthor said...

“‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.’” Jeremiah 29:11(NAS). I have a passion to write to. I am 39. Ironic-yet, I've been rejected-yet that's another story for another time. This blessed me. I've been wondering. Will I find a job when I move to join my husband in this new city? Will the house foreclose? Will it sell? Will our savings last? Can I provide adquetely for my children? This verse awesomely stood out number one as the beginning of the blog. I've been going nutso bc i dont have an address yet. I'm a planner and I cant plan!!! It's disturbing to the flesh. But He called out that He has plans this time. I prayed to walk in the steps He ordered, without accepting the meaning of that prayer. I understand now. Blessings.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- I had just gotten off my knees praying for comfort and security from God when I turned on my computer and read this devotion. I have been called to go away to New York to attend an intensive educational training for 7 weeks- away from my husband and 4-year old child- and am leaving in a few days. Fear began to creep in. Am I doing the right thing? Is this crazy? Should I back out? But, praise God, I read this and the blogs and realize that God has placed me exactly where He wants me right now, and I will walk forward in faith. Thank you for writing it, and Glory be to God!!

Blogger Donna said...

There have been so many times that I have allowed my own fear get in the way of what God has called me to do. But, I have realized that this is not about me it is about what God has purposed me to do for his kingdom, God will never give us a task that we cannot accomplish. Melanie, this is just another affirmation in my own ministry to go further and do what God has purposed me to for Him. Thank you and may God continue to use in such a powerful way.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night i turned on my new laptop computer and found myself googling proverbs 31 ministries. It was amazing to see that the friday devotion was on leaving the work place. God has been working on me to leave for 7 years,but because of the income, my salary was much greater than my husband. I have been praying that the Lord would bless my husbands career for that 7 years as i began to decrease. To make a long story short, that is not finished yet. I spent so much time thinking. that if my husband would just get it together, submit to the Lord ect. the ball would get rolling. Much to my suprise after all this time the Lord was looking to my submission. The whole deal, my god,my husband, my family. Since i have said yes to God with no strings attached, it is amazing the things that have happen. I can see changes in my husband, in his new job he got, in my childrens life, and in my life. I have never experienced a peace in my life like this before since i have said yes to God. I have gone part time, I am waiting on God and my husband to be lead to leave full time. I am excited to finally be free to live a life for God. PS Lisa all this started by reading your book when a women says yes to God. Those pink gerber dasiys have played an intresing roll. They just keep popping up from time to time. They remind me that God keeps his promises and that he is faithful.

In his services

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear has been such a giant in my life. It has taken me years to discover that I actually have very little control over many, many things. This is truly intimidating when, without even thinking twice, I find myself trying to manage life on my terms or in my strength.

There are so many things that are God-sized. His hands can manage the task. Mine cannot.

When I walk in compliance with God's ways and His will, whatever needs to be accomplished or conquered can be seen from a healthy and managable perspective.

There have been so many times that I reached out my feeble hands to tackle life's challenges. And there have been close to an equal amount of disasters to accompany each effort I made in my own strength.

Understanding that I need the powerful, unfailing presence and strength of God in everyting that I do has silenced my fears!

If fear again threatens to cause me grief and suffering I have made it a habit and discipline to go immediately to the source of my hope against any and all fear....God's unfailing strength and His everpresent help in times of trouble. (Psalm 46:1-3)

When I go to this unchanging promise my fear is silenced. I can truly do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits