Pop Goes the Weasel!
Susanne Scheppmann

“A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.” Proverbs 29:11 (NIV)

Today we live in a society of anger. Road rage rears its ugly head over minor traffic infractions. Small annoyances infuriate us. Corporations offer anger management courses to help us deal with our tempers. Anger rules our lives.

I understand anger. My oldest son was hyperactive to the extreme. As a young, high-strung mom, I became furious at times with some of his antics, though never to the point of harming him. I realized that when my anger popped up like a sneaky weasel, it was time to put my son in time-out for a while. I needed the break, and so did he for his own safety.

What we must realize is that anger in and of itself is not sin. Anger is a God-given emotion. Even Jesus became angry at times (See Mark 3:5; John 2:13-17). Anger is an emotional response to certain situations. However, when anger begins to consume us or turns us into people of uncontrollable rage, that is when we need to look for guidance and learn how to manage it.

Fortunately, God gives followers of Christ their own handbook on anger management—the Bible. Ephesians 4:26 reads, “In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.” I can’t count how many times I have gone to bed in anger with my husband. I roll my back to him and stew for hours about the perceived injustice, while he snores peacefully in a deep sleep. Grrrr . . . growls my anger. How dare he sleep when I am mad? He wakes up with a cheery outlook; I roll out of bed with a migraine. How much better would it be if I were to let go of my anger and to sleep with peace in my heart?

Another verse states, “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” (Proverbs 15:1 NIV). I learned the truth of this verse with my teenagers. They responded much better to a gentle verbal response than when I lashed out at them with a harsh word or tone. I plastered this verse everywhere in my home and even in my car. The verse reminded me that I could choose anger or gentleness. It was my decision. I could choose gentleness or pop my emotional cork!

So now, when my anger threatens to run away with me, I grab my anger management Book. I search the Scriptures to determine which ones apply to my immediate circumstances. I want to be wise in my anger, not like a fool who pops like a weasel.

Dear Lord, teach me how to control my anger in a godly manner. Help me not to rage out of control at the people that I love the most. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Him?

She's Gonna Blow! Real Help For Dealing With Mom Anger by Julie Ann Barnhill

Perplexing Proverbs by Susanne Scheppmann


Application Steps:
Study the Scripture verses found in today’s devotion. Write them on an index card and refer to them for those times when you feel your anger surge. Keep them in a handy place for future reference.

Reflections:
What types of circumstances tend to make me angry?

Do I hold onto my anger for days?

Do I use gentle words when I am upset about something?

Power Verses:
Ecclesiastes 7:9, “Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools. (NIV)

Proverbs 29:8, “Mockers stir up a city, but wise men turn away anger.” (NIV)

Psalm 145:8, “The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.” (NIV)

Labels: , , ,



10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! Don't pop like a weasel! For every negative comments/things that you can enjoy instead of feeling angry the whole time. :P laugh about it!

I get angry and I calm down to laugh about it :) all of a sudden my anger turns to joy. What a blessing! today God spoke to me of how not to become a fool ;)

Thank you!

Blogger Mommy Reg said...

As I was reading I was shown how lately I am allowing myself to become angry more quickly than I used to. I need to be careful and not allow myself to have a short fuse and to choose gentleness, kindness and patience over anger. Thank you for this really good word.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lord sent this devotional to me today! Just 2 weeks ago, He led me to this exact verse (Prov 29:11) to pray for my husband and I as we deal with a strong willed 5 year old and a 3 year old going through an extremely whiney phase. (and I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant) I am going to take time to pour over the additional resources! Thank you so much!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anger is not bad itself. It is good to feel angry over sinful things just as God feels angry when we sin, only the Lord didn't pop like a weasel! Patience :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All very good points, stuff that we already know, but easily forget about in times of our anger. I know raising a teen, has shown me that I do have an angry side, and this really touched me and has shown me how to control my anger. PATIENCE!!!

Thank you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I deal with this every day. Thank you for your honesty. I think alot of moms don't want to admit that they get angry with their kids that we "Pop our tops" I know it is hard for me. I have a 3 year lod and a 9 month old and i can get a short fuse very quickly with my daughter when she isn't moving as fast as i want her to or if she isn't listening to my diretions. I do not want to speak harsh words to her as to stir up wrath in her or my son. I need to choose gentleness and soft words.

Dear God,
I pray that you forgive me for the harsh words that i have already spoken for my impatience and inability to remember that my kids are just that kids. They are not going to be as responsible as an adults. They need to have from me a gentleness of spirit as they learn how to react to situations that they find frustrating. Help me not to resort to anger, but to fill my cup with gentleness and mercy from you to spill on my children. Take this sense of urgency and impatience from my spirit and replace it with a sense of calm patience and peace. Let today mea day where my kids feel loved and cared for. Thank you for them. Amen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MIA3103
wow!!!!My biggest struggle is anger.It is so much easier said than done ;that's why I started celebrate recovery at my church.I was raised by 2 angry parents,and now i am an angry wife and mom to my 4yr old and 19 month old daughters.I have been acting like a fool, and i knew it then because i have read these verses. the sad thing is that i chose to disobey God continuously. I am thankful for today's reminder.I need God so badly to soothe my rage.Thank you again proverbs 31 ministries!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I just read this after screaming at my 4 year old who is being very hyper this morning. Thank you for allowing God to speak to all of us through your words posted here!

Dear God,
Lord, help me please. Infuse me with your Grace, love, patience. I cannot be the mother you call me to be without more of You. Forgive me for my harsh words and lack of love and patience with my child - the child you have blessed me with.
Amen.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK< I know that this is an older devotion, but I just came to Proverbs 31 for the first time today, and for this exact reason: my anger. I have been beating myself up for months, because I get so angry at my children. I have 2 boys, 8 and 3, and 2 step kids, a girl 9 and a boy, 5. I get so frustrated with them sometimes, and usually it is over nothing very big. Just little stuff, and I hold onto my anger, sometimes all day. So it not only ruins my entire day, it ruins their day as well. and it makes me quick to snap off again, the next time I am annoyed. I am a public speaker against child abuse and neglect, and sometimes I feel like a huge hypocrite, because I can't handle my own anger. I don't hit my children, but one thing I have heard, and said again, is that words hurt just as bad. I have prayed and cried, and apologized, and prayed some more. And just as soon as I feel this is a good day, some one goes running across the house.
I have been feeling so ashamed, and foolish, and such a failure, and a terrible mother, but reading this today, and all of the comments, I feel much better, and I feel that I can overcome after all. Just as I was writing the scriptures down to post them on my bathroom mirror, I scrolled down to where she said that she posted it all over her house as well!
I am so thankful that I read this today, and I will be looking for more comfort thru proverbs 31

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pop goes the weasel was a blessing today for me before reading it I had just pop out with my 12 year old this verses are going to be a great help to go to when my anger want to pop out like a weasel, thank you and God Bless you

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits