My Thanksgiving
Rachel Olsen

“Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good. For His lovingkindness is everlasting.” 1 Chronicles 16:34 (NASB)

This morning I will wake up thankful. Not because my life is perfect and I have everything I could want or need, but because I’m taking the time to count my blessings and give thanks to God.

I’ll be thankful that my husband and I are off work today, and that we have work to return to.

I’ll be thankful that my children are able to enjoy a day of play at home, and thankful that they have days of learning ahead that will help shape them into who God intends them to be.


I’ll go downstairs. As I pass my desk on my way to the kitchen, I’ll select one of several Bibles on my shelf.

I’ll be thankful for the Word of God that I am able to freely read, distribute, and teach in this country.

Mostly likely, I’ll do as I did last year and put on my “Through All Generations” CD. It’s an album of hymns recorded by my friend Gwen Smith.

I’ll be thankful for the various friends in my life – both far and near – who enrich me, challenge me, lend me their ear, pray for me, and make me laugh. And I’ll be especially grateful for the friendship of God.

I’ll also be thankful for the blessing of music and its ability to lift my mood, touch my heart, energize my body, and connect my soul to an eternal God.


I’ll turn the lights of my Christmas tree on – I like to have my tree up by Thanksgiving Day. The lights and ornaments will twinkle amidst the backdrop of an evergreen tree.

I’ll thank God for giving us some trees that stay green all year long despite the cold weather.

I will thank Him for giving us the day and the night, and the stars that twinkle in the sky. I will also be grateful for the Light of the World and the eternal life that He brings, represented by the evergreens in our holiday decorations.


Soon it will be time to start cooking the Thanksgiving meal. In my home that will be turkey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, green beans, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy. Oh, and deviled eggs.

I’ll be thankful for God’s provision of food – including thankful for the farmers and ranchers, and for the kind family member who gives us a turkey and a box of sweet potatoes every year.

I’ll remember contributing to a local church’s Thanksgiving ministry for those less fortunate, and I’ll be thankful for the people who act as the hands and feet of Christ in ministry – they inspire me.


As I cook, I’ll set aside any cans, plastic bags and cardboard boxes to put into our recycling bin.

I’ll be thankful for this beautiful planet teeming with life and flowing with water that God entrusted to humankind to steward. And I’ll look forward to the day when I, like the writer of the book of Revelation, see a new earth recreated by God, free of Satan’s influence.

More family members will join us and we will gather around my kitchen table to eat. We are no Norman Rockwell painting - our family has its struggles and issues just like the next family. But on this evening, we will set aside any differences as we laugh together, talk together, pray together, and eat together.

I’ll be thankful for the bond of family – that there are people who know you fully, and love you anyway. And I’ll be grateful for the family of God to which I am bonded through Christ.

After dinner we’ll play cards or board games, or perhaps watch a movie. Then I’ll say goodbye to our guests, tuck my children in bed, sit and reflect on the day. I will ask God to show me any blessings I missed or failed to count, because I’m convinced each one of us has more to be thankful for than we ever notice. Today, let’s purpose to notice, and to be grateful.

Dear Lord, thank You for the blessings You have bestowed – help me notice them. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Through All Generations CD by Gwen Smith

As we close this year with thanks, let’s open next year with gratitude by spending each day in the Word with the One Year Chronological Bible (NLT)

Submit a praise report of thanks and gratitude!

Visit Rachel at her blog today

Application Steps:
Pause to count your blessings today. A grateful heart can usher you into God’s presence.

Stop by my blog and share something you are grateful for today. The ability to connect with others via the internet is one of the blessings on my list!

Reflections:
Perhaps you don’t have family at home with you today, or much food to prepare, or a Christmas tree to gather by. But you have a godly purpose to fulfill in this earth, a world of beauty outside your door, and most importantly, you have eternal life and the friendship of God available to you. Do You Know Him?

Power Verses:
2 Corinthians 9:15, “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” (NASB)

© 2008 by Rachel Olsen. All rights reserved.

Labels: ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful message,we should all be greatful and thankful to God for all of his blessings,and also to remember to help and pray for those less fortunate. Always be kinder than usual because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us thank our Lord for allowing us to live today! Let us thank him for giving us a beautiful world to live in! Let us look beyond any problems we may be facing and keep our eyes on the ultimate goal: TO LIVE FOREVER WITH HIM!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is so good! I am so thankful to Him and for Him, to all the things He has done. My life is not perfect and I can't help thanking Him for what He is doing right now. I am so blessed to have Him in my life.

Thank God!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank GOD, He is good all the time. I am alive and healthy. I have a beautiful family. He is always up to something good. What a wonderful world. We get to live in acountry where we can worship the GOD of Heaven freely. We are blessed

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So thankful that my 95 year old father received Jesus two weeks before his death. Thankful that my son is alive after being very close to death. Thankful that after one year of unemployment my husband got a job. Thankful for all that God has done this year and for what He will do next year.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits