I’m Right There With Ya’
Sylvia Basham, She Speaks! Graduate

“I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.” John 14:18 (KJV)

“I’m right there with ya’!” a mom of a three-year-old boy commiserated to another mom of a three-year-old boy. We were at an all-day volleyball tournament for our daughters and the little tikes (as well as the moms) had already had about as much excitement as they could take. We were all having a late-afternoon meltdown.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I overheard this exchange, and I thought, “I wish I was right there with ya’.” My son Jonathan, had he lived, would have been there also.

Before the trickle of tears could become a raging river, God’s truth proclaimed in my heart, “I AM right there with ya’!” I smiled through my tear-blurred vision and thanked God for His comfort, and for the hope I have in Him. I thanked Him for sustaining me through this journey of grief.

I am thankful that I can be content that I have Christ and He is all I need. As our key verse tells us, Jesus will not leave us comfortless. He will be there. It is a journey to get to that place of contentment in Him, and wanting more than anything else on this earth to be right there with Him. It is also a destination that can be reached if we don’t misplace our hope.

My experience has made me realize there are hurting people, especially as we approach special days during our holiday season, who will be grieving and missing a loved one. This grief may feel all-consuming at times, and they may forget that Christ is right there with them. They will have misplaced their hope. Just as mine had been misplaced in the past, their focus will be on what they don’t have instead of Who they do have. The temporary will displace the eternal, leaving them feeling empty.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 says, “Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him” (NIV). Having hope when others do not is a choice to believe that this scripture is true.

Now there’s where I really want to be. As Isaiah 35:10b says, “Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.” That’s what a life filled with hope looks like.

It’s incredible how the grief still sneaks up on me sometimes – how moments like that one at the volleyball game make me feel so alone and how my heart is still so tender especially around those special dates. At those times, the journey continues as I draw closer to my true Hope. He is right there with me as I remain right there with Him.

Dear Lord, In times of grief, help me remember You are my Hope and You are right there with me. I pray You open my eyes and heart to others who are hurting and help me remind them of the Hope. Please give me boldness and compassion during this season to introduce the ultimate Hope to others in need of hope. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Him?

Spend time in the shelter of your Hope with the Sanctuary Devotional Bible (NLT)

Through a Season of Grief by Bill Dunn and Kathy Leonard

Listen to Today’s Radio Show to hear how God showed up with hope on a rainy day.

Application Steps:
Read and meditate on Psalm 42.

Reflections:
Have I forgotten where my hope lies? What things am I allowing to blur my hope? What should be my remedy?

Am I spending time refocusing on my Hope, right there with Him in His word and in prayer, each day?

Is there someone in my life who is in need of direction, or redirection, to true Hope?

Power Verses:
Psalm 42:11, “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” (NIV)

Psalm 16:8, “I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” (NIV)

Jeremiah 31:13, “Then maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.” (NIV)

Labels: , , , , ,



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'I'm right there with ya' as a grieving mother. Thank you for reminding me of that Hope that He is holding me through these times, until I can hold my son again.

Blogger chrisabarrett said...

This morning I prayed for encourgment went online for devotions and there it was. My son Quentin would be 4 on Thansgiving this year. He was born too early and there was nothing the doctors could do for him. The Lord allowed me to see a precious baby, that I prayed long and hard for, hold him, and say goodbye as he took his last breaths and went home. I thank the Lord that when I see my son again he will be whole, in no pain, and best of all with the Lord! thank you for writing what the Lord laid on your heart and for sharing with everyone. I have been encouraged today!AMEN

Blogger Teske said...

This is just the encouragement I needed today, as my daughter, Chloe, would be 2 1/2. I hope it is okay, but I posted a link to this devotion on a blog "Mommies with Hope"
(http://mommieswithhope.blogspot.com). This is a blog for a support group that I co-founded/lead, for mothers who have experienced the loss of a young child. Please know that this devotion really spoke to my heart and will speak to the hearts of other women, as they grieve the loss of their children. It reminds us where our hope must truly lie, in the promises of God!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sylvia,

I went through losing a son also, his name was Nathan. He would have been 16 last Sept. You will never forget those special dates, songs and places that tug on your heart, but I will say with the grace of our God it does get a little easier in time. Thank you for reminding us of God's promises. SP NC

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son James would have been 23 this upcoming February. The time does heal the "ache" somewhat, but the pain also reminds us that WE experience the pain here on earth, while our loved one in Heaven only knows JOY!! What joy we will all have when we, together, sing with the angels to the FACE OF JESUS.
Give THANKS in ALL things.

Blogger Laura said...

Thank you for your words, Sylvia. They're what I've often wanted to write. I have 3 children waiting for me in heaven--2 born too early like your son and 1 who arrived stillborn--and I also have 3 to keep me company on earth.

God is always with you, even (or especially) in the most awful days. And like you, I can't wait to see my children in heaven, where there will be no more tears.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the devotion yesterday and I thought it was just for me Sylvia. My sister is the greiving Mom and on the 24th ( which was a day of greiving for us all) David would have been 33. I read the devotion and knew I couldn't read it to her ( I'd have blubbered through it) so I mailed it in a card. GOD IS SO GOOD!!! You made my heart feel so much better. Thank you Sylvia "I'm Right There with Ya'"

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits