Planted by Water
Glynnis Whitwer

“He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” Jeremiah 17:8 (NIV)

My daughter Cathrine came running into the kitchen saying that the flowers needed watering. Without waiting for my help, Cathrine grabbed a cooking pot, filled it with water and ran back outside. Curious, I followed to see which flowers worried her.

I walked outside to see Cathrine knelt beside an iris, carefully scooping water into her cupped hands and pouring it over the flowers. Over and over she poured water over a wilting blossom. Cathrine knew the flowers needed nutrition, she knew they needed water, and she was trying to help them in the most obvious way.

I know what it’s like to try and water something from the outside. I’ve tried to nourish my faith that way. I’ve done it by quickly reading a Bible passage without applying it to my life. I’ve sung the worship songs while planning lunch. And I’ve heard a sermon and thought it applied to someone else. I’ve also prayed on the run without spending time in quiet contemplation. Yes, I know what it’s like to try and nurture something from the outside. It doesn’t work very well.

It’s at those times of shallow watering that my spiritual roots curl their toes and shrink from healthy growth. Jeremiah 17:8 speaks of a completely different type of watering and growth … the kind that’s deep and rich: “He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

This passage depicts a tree that is “planted” by water so its roots grow deep and strong. Planted. What a concept. The only way to get roots that are deep is to stay planted by water. This Scripture invites me to place my trust in God, and inspires me to plant myself in His Word so that its truths wash over and through me. I’m drawn to rest in God’s presence while my soul is given refreshment. My heart is called to be open to God’s love as it fills me to overflowing. When my spiritual growth is healthy, I don’t have to worry about outside pressures.

A sprinkle of water didn’t help my flowers, despite my daughter’s good intentions. Those flowers needed to drink deeply from within. Just like them, I need to be planted by and drink deeply of God’s living water so my spiritual roots grow deep and strong.

Dear Lord, I thank You for your overflowing love that reaches deep in to my soul and waters my thirst for You. Help me to be planted in Your Word and to spend more time in Your presence in prayer. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Him?

What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst

Come Thirsty: No Heart Too Dry for His Touch by Max Lucado

Application Steps:
Identify one thing you can do this week to deepen your spiritual roots.

Reflections:
Why is it sometimes difficult to go deeper into the things of God?

If spending time in prayer is a challenge for you, consider the reasons why.

How can you tell if your spiritual roots are receiving enough water?

Power Verses:
Romans 1:25, “They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator – who is forever praised. Amen.” (NIV)

Psalm 42:1, “As the deer pants for streams of water so my soul pants for you, O God.” (NIV)

1 John 1:6, “If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.” (NIV)

Labels: , ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it happens to me and I need to be "Planted by Water"

Thank you Glynnis.

Blogger Happe2bhere said...

This passage helps me reflect on what I need to focus on.. prayer that will seek the changes in me that will enable the "flower " (me) to bring pleasure to our Gardener.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lord, for Glynnis and her encouragement thru Your Word to spend time with You. Reading and thinking and praying Your thoughts.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me for my passiveness to church and to the things of you. Cleanse my heart of all the hurt and pain, anger, and bitterness. Help me to see those that serve you as you see them. Help me not to judge. I want to have a home that is a home of acceptance and love one that is not defined by words, or how ell you do something. Help Peter and I to develop that home for our children. Show us how to do it. Continue to grow us as individuals and as parents. give me wisdom with our babies. I desire for them to see others the way that you do and not to be harsh orjudgemental of others. Give me directgion as a mom to lead this family the way that is right for us. help us form our identity as the d*** family. We want to have a home that exudes the fragrance of Christ. You are our one and only direction giver. Help us to follow you. We want to fall into you as afamily and come out shining for you. Help me to be diligent about my time with you. I know you want more from me. Help me to be faithful.
amen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am unable to sleep and God sent me to this site. I have been in prayer/communication with God for the past hour or more and he sent me here for a reason. I know I need watering. I just returned from a mission trip this devotional and the one about shining your light are what God wanted me to here. Thank you for this site and what fruit will come from it. God Bless you

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits