Living in the Hear and Now
Renee Swope

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27 (NIV)

I sat on the couch looking out the window, wondering what the future held. Some opportunities were on the horizon. My excitement, mixed with the fear of getting over-committed, ignited a rapid firing of thoughts: What would I say yes or no to? What was God calling me to do? How would I figure out His plans and purpose for my schedule?

Wondering and worrying wasn't getting me anywhere, so I decided to start praying. I wrote questions in a notebook: "Lord, what should I say yes to? Where do You want me to spend my time? Will You please show me Your plans for me this coming year?"

I wanted a sneak peek into God's calendar so I could adjust mine. Instead, I sensed Him telling me not to worry about tomorrow but to live each day in the hear and now.

I'd done pretty well when it came to listening to God in the big things. It was when God called me to small acts of obedience behind the scenes that I was most challenged. A few weeks after my conversation with God and my commitment to listen more closely for His voice, I noticed my husband's side of the closet was a mess. I thought about how J.J. enjoys things being orderly, although it's not his natural inclination.

I remembered how frazzled he seemed the day before. Then I sensed God whispering to my heart, "One way you could really love J.J. and bring peace to his world would be to organize his side of the closet."

"He's a grown man; he can organize his own side of the closet. I have two kids, two dogs and myself to keep up with. Have you seen our garage and attic?" I thought.

"Did you hear Me? Are you going to obey Me now?" God's Spirit nudged.

Just that week I had read the parable of the talents in Matthew 25, and realized my attitude was like that of the third servant. He had not been entrusted with much and he buried his talent in the ground. Maybe he thought, "I wasn't given much so why even worry about being faithful with it? I'll just take it easy on this assignment. The master probably won't notice."

Sometimes I saw my role as a wife, daughter, mother and friend as "average" responsibilities - one-talent kind of assignment. Plenty of people have the same assignments, I thought. Without realizing it, I let myself slip into being selfish, inconsiderate or impatient here and there. But God wanted my willingness in every area of my life - hearing and acting on His promptings in my heart throughout my day.

Why does God want moment-by-moment, day-by-day obedience? Because He wants us to trust Him.

Obedience means actively exchanging our will for His. God knows it is hard for us to hear His voice and follow His plans for our tomorrows when we are not willing to obey Him in our todays. But He promises that when we are faithful with the little things, He will "put us in charge of many things" and give us a deeper joy than we have ever known (Matthew 25:21, NIV).

God is so patient as we learn to trust Him in the big and little things in life. And it's in our relationship with Him that we find the purpose, direction and meaning we're looking for. When we live in the "hear and now" our calling and our calendar begin to reflect our love for Him, not our need for fulfillment or the desire to be important in anyone's eyes but His.

By the way, I reorganized my husband's side of the closet. I’m almost sure I heard God chuckle and felt the warmth of His smile. May He smile on you today as you commit to live in the hear and now - acting on what you hear and living it out now.

Dear Lord, when You look at the assignments You've given me, do You find me faithful? Am I living and listening the way You want me to? Sometimes I fall into the trap of waiting for a better tomorrow or an easier assignment so that I can be faithful. Help me trust You. I want to reflect Your heart and extend Your hands today. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Renee's talking more about listening to God and learning to recognize His voice at http://www.reneeswope.com/. And she's giving away a book that's helped her follow through on her promise to live in the hear and now. Enter to win by clicking here.

The Power of a Purpose Driven Mom (CD) by Renee Swope

Shaped with Purpose Workbook; Practical Guide to Discovering God's Purpose for Your Life and message on CD, by Renee Swope

For more everyday encouragement, connect with Renee on Facebook

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst

________________________________________
When you purchase resources through Proverbs 31 Ministries, you touch eternity! Your purchase supports the many areas of life-changing ministry we provide at no cost. Although we wish we could, we simply can't compete with prices offered by huge online warehouses. Therefore, we are extremely grateful for each and every purchase you make with us! ________________________________________


Application Steps:
Is there an area of your life where God is calling you to slow down, listen for His voice, and trust Him daily instead of running ahead of His plans?

Ask God to help you listen, recognize, and act on His gentle whispers as you go throughout your day. Visit Renee’s interactive website for more encouragement and ideas on how you can distinguish God's thoughts from yours.

Reflections:
Do I desire to live in the "hear and now" - listening and obeying God in everything, believing I will discover His plans for tomorrow through my faithfulness today?

What roles and relationships has God entrusted to me? (mom, daughter, friend, classmate, wife, sister, etc.) How can I be more faithful in the little things in them?

Power Verses:
1 John 2:5, "If anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him." (NIV)

Matthew 25:21, "You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things." (NIV)

© 2010 by Renee Swope. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,



7 Comments:

Anonymous Rachel said...

Wow that prayer was what I needed to say, to hear. Thank you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I almost couldn't believe my eyes as i read you post today. Your words seemed to echo my own thoughts and the prayer I had just finished praying moments before. This was surly confirmation of what God has been speaking into my heart over the last couple of months. I'm an ambitious person with lots of dreams and hopes for the future. I get excited thinking about the possibility of God putting these desires in my heart and looking forward to them coming to pass. As i said, I'm ambitious, and if I'm not careful my dreams and desires can become idols when I put more thought and focus on them and not on my Savior. Sometimes we can get so caught up in our "to-do-for-God" list that we stop "living for and with God" each and every day. So lately He's been showing me that if I continue to seek Him where I am today and delight myself in Him now, if they are desires from Him that He has placed in my heart, they will come to pass in His time and in His will. And it will be in a way that only He can receive the glory, not because of anything I have done to get there. And it will be that much sweeter when it happens. So for now, I will seek to be a good and faithful steward with who and what He has given me at this time in my life. Thank you for being God's vessel. I may not know you girls personally, but know that what you post each day always seems to apply to my life. Love you.

Blogger Renee Swope said...

Thank you Rachel and Bambi for sharing your hearts and encouraging mine. Praying for you today!

Blogger jill said...

Ok, seriously. I haven't read a Proverbs 31 devotion for about a month now (sorry). But did read today's by the prompting of the Holy Spirit. I have been wondering/worrying about these EXACT things with God over the past few months. I've realized that my alone time with Him is a low priority compared to all the things I'm trying to "do" for Him. And just 3 days ago, Sunday, I cleaned out 3 closets because I felt God prompting me to do so - NO KIDDING! My husband critcized how the house was a mess on the way home from church - which hurt because I spend an hour cleaning EVERY day. I probed more specifically and got him to pinpoint it was the closets and "paper piles" driving him nuts. I had other things I wanted to "do" that day besides clean out closets, and most people's houses aren't near as clean as I keep our house, let alone their closets! After reading this devotion, my eyes are now opened. It's about "obedience". (Did you know "die" is in the middle of that word? We have to die to our own selfish desires in order to do it.) :O) Thank you!

Blogger Kamille said...

Everyday I read these post, it confirms or reminds me of what God is doing in my life. Today is no exception and quite possibly the biggest elbow poke (you know the one's we give our 'sisters' when sitting in church and you want them to know God is talking to them) I received from God lately.

I had my day all planned out and was excited for a meeting that I was hoping would help me decide on a career path. But I get a phone call from a friend who needs help. I clearly hear God speak to my heart, "I need you to help her today. Let go of your plans and be this friend again, you are needed. You want to serve me, here is a service I am asking you to complete."
To be honest I was not willing to set aside my own plans. I told God,I will help but I'm going to my meeting. I have to, I want to.

So where you mention seeing, being a mom, a wife, and a friend as an average task - the one talent responsibility- and letting selfishness seep in, well that was me today, and honestly the mode i have been operating for awhile now.

In the end I canceled my plans picked up my goddaughter and helped my friend, but not before I snapped at my friend, who was by far more affected by the disruptions than I was, and definitely not without a bit of arguing to my God who called me to serve.

I struggled with being upset, I wanted to serve with a giving heart but humbleness seemed just beyond my reach today until I read that paragraph. Now, I know why I struggled. My perspective was skewed, I saw a 'one talent' responsibility disrupting what i perceived to be the beginning of receiving many talents.

Thank you for the simple and humble truth of serving what God has given to us today, regardless of what we think it 'takes' from us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks,I have been living for tomorrow for a very long time. I have been selfish and disobeying his direct orders. Yesterday,was my wake up call...my order to slow down. It's gonna be hard to maintain...so I'm gonna need some prayers.

Anonymous Marie said...

Thank you for what you do for so many searching for help in this world. You have a special gift and you're definitely using it. God Bless!
Marie

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits