Partly Sunny
Marybeth Whalen

"Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear." Matthew 13:43 (NIV)

Last week my seven-year-old son and I were waiting for his sister to get her hair cut. As we sat in the waiting area, we had no choice but to listen to the radio that played in the background. The forecast came on and the announcer said that it was going to be partly cloudy. My son, who was playing with LEGOs® on the floor, stopped playing and looked up with an indignant look on his face. "Mom," he said, "That man said it's partly cloudy but it's not. It's partly sunny." Then he went back to playing.

Oh, to see the world the way my son did in that moment. He taught me a huge lesson on perspective that day and I have been mulling it over ever since.

Do I see my days as partly sunny or partly cloudy? Do I marvel at the wonders or get caught up in the mess? Do I consciously choose to alter my "glass half empty" mentality and choose to see it as half full? Do I rejoice in what I have or focus on what’s missing?

Just for today, let’s focus on the good things that happen, so they don't get lost in the shuffle of life. I hope that you will join me in seeking to see our days as partly sunny. Sure, a few clouds may enter our horizon, but that doesn't mean our outlook has to be altered.

Partly cloudy or partly sunny? My son taught me it's all in how I look at it.

Dear Lord, when life starts looking cloudy, help me to remember that the sun is still shining. Help me to take my negative, defeating thoughts captive and shift my perspective. Most of all, help me to remember that as one of Your children, I will someday shine like the sun in Your kingdom. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Join us for more “Partly Sunny” encouragement!

For more from Marybeth visit her blog as well as her resource page

The Reason We Speak, General Editor Marybeth Whalen

Self Talk, Soul Talk: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself by Jennifer Rothschild

Application Steps:
Look outside your window. Is the weather partly sunny or partly cloudy? Even if it’s pouring down rain, praise God for what you see and where you are. Every time something happens today, determine that you are going to look for the "partly sunny" element.

Reflections:
Do you have a tendency to see things from a "glass half empty" perspective?

How can you change your thought process to intentionally see things in a more positive light?

Power Verses:
Philippians 2:14-15, "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe. (NIV)

Daniel 12:3, "Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever." (NIV)

© 2009 by Marybeth Whalen. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , ,



14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for today's devotion. I am going through some tough times right now at work. Even though I am trying to find another job, it is difficult due to the current economy. Each day becomes a challenge to maintain my "half full" mentality.
But I remind myself each day to remember to give thanks to our Lord that I am employed.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And sometimes something may not seem great for ourselves, but it is great for someone else. I live in a farming community, and often times, rain is a blessing.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! Children are soo pure and beautiful! Thank you for that.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God has taught me not to depend on the sun and whether it is shining or not but to rejoice in Him and thank Him for the rain or whatever weather is out there. Many times it seems that if it is rainy or cloudy then when I start praising Him for the weather (knowing it will be good for others who need rain)and just being thankful that the next thing I know,the sun is shining.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perspective is everything! Just this morning as I was sweating at the gym and wishing I were still home in bed, I reminded myself to be thankful for a body that is healthy enough to workout and a friend willing to meet me at the gym at 6AM.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recently stared to doing devos again! Yesterdays and today's have been exactly what I need to hear! Thank you for this ministry! :)

Anonymous Larae Weaver said...

I am a single mother of two young children and I am trying to find a good job so I can support my little family. I have been divorced now for almost 3 years, staying with my father, and faithfully, excitedly attending a wonderful church here. I love the Lord with all my heart and know He has a wonderful plan and purpose for my life. I love waking up with my children and seeing them being so happy, they are truly my blessings. I wanted to ask ya'll to pray for me as I go apply for another job today. Please pray that I will contiue to have the "sunny outlook," that I need to have, not only for myself but also for my wonderful children. I so needed this encouragement this morning. God bless you every single momma everywhere that is struggling, but is determined not to be defeated!!!

Blogger Unknown said...

I usually see myself as a "glass-half-full" type of person but I'm always looking for something better. I thought that it was striving for greatness, but this really made me think about being content and enjoying what I have now. While I am constantly looking to the future, I'm missing what's going on right in front of me!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

to Larae Weaver: Just know that a 'Becky' is out there thinking and praying for you and your 2 children today. Please pray for me too and thankfully God knows all.

Anonymous Larae Weaver said...

Thank you so very much Becky that really touches my heart to know you are praying for me and my children. I lifted a prayer up for you as well, God bless you.

Anonymous Larae Weaver said...

Well I went and put in the application here, and while I was in there I saw an older woman that I go to church with. I started to talk with her and she brought me over to her husband that was sitting at their table. I have talked with this couple several times over these past few months. They are such sweet, wonderful, caring people. Anyway, they have this old car that they are wanting to give to someone, and this lady has been trying to talk with her husband about letting it go. It so happens that my children and I are in desperate need of a vehicle. It would be such a blessing to have such a wonderful gift from such a wonderful couple. They said it runs really great, and they don't ever get a bit of trouble from it and most of the time it sits in their driveway at home. I thank God for the things He does in our lives every day. Every day of my life He does something wonderful, and special as if I am the only one on this planet. Even if I'm not the one they give this car to, I am so blessed to have such people in my life, because I've never really had grandparents around, and every time they see me at church they just give me a big hug, and tell me how cute and precious my children are. This couple is so much in love with one another, and someday I know I will have the same with the man God has for me. Praise the Lord!!!!

Blogger Maressaleah said...

Wow! Laura Weaver you are my twin wherever you are! God is so good.

Why? I too am a single parent. I received a call today on top of all that I have been dealing with (loss my car recently, no child support, he has kids for 3 weeks and not a word from them, bills bills bills, school tuition etc) and that call just knocked me off the "partly sunny" perspective. I am sitting here reading the devotional with worship in the background, trying to hide my tears since the "partly cloudy" perspective consumes you!

Then I received that kiss and almost a conviction from the Holy Spirit saying "I've brought you this far, do not worry."

I want to cry now ladies! I am going to be honest. What's hard is letting go and letting God. Especially when you've seen His faithfulness hold you through the past 2 years. It's so simple, yet I resist and become afraid.

Laura Weaver, your words blessed me this morning. Because I am not alone. Your strength despite your circumstances has blessed me today and strengthened me. He answered me and told me to read these comments after I was done praying. I said, "why? I don't feel like it".

Now I know why!

I promise to you girls with hopes of prayer and accountability wherever you all are that I will too stay faithful, positive, grateful and focused.

Please pray for me for a car as well. For my court date on Sept. 25th, for my children's protection while with their father, for blessings as a real estate agent as well!

Please visit my blog...mymommywoodmaressaleah.blogspot.com if you would like to talk, pray, blog, laugh etc.

Thank you Lord!

Blogger LovedbyGod_1 said...

Great Post!! God can send a power message even through the lips of a child. I have a 4yr old daughter that say some things that are powerful and she may not even know the power behind the words that she spoke.

This was a powerful post. How we percieve our world, is the world that we attract. So this is a reminder for all of us to check our perception and remember to focus to praise and worship God for who he is.

God Bless,

Lovedbygod1
www.lovedbygod1.blogspot.com

Blogger Eagles Wings said...

Thanks I didn't get to post tuesday, but I wanted to say thank you for your devotion. I was having a very challenging morning Tuesday and hadn't stopped to have my devotions and everything wasn't going right...I stopped doing my list came home and had devotions and read this Partly Sunny and just had to laugh with God! HE is so good, I had my perspective of the day all wrong! Thank you!
Blessings

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits