Meet Me at the Table
Sharon Sloan, She Speaks! Graduate

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever." Psalm 23:5-6 (NIV)

For the past two summers we have rented a house at the Jersey shore from some friends. As I was packing for our beach vacation this summer, I silently prayed to the Lord and shared a wish with him. "Lord, I'd really like to have a special place to have my morning quiet time with You at the shore house this year. You know how I like to spread out a little for my quiet time and study time. Last summer at the shore, I used the kitchen table every day, which was dandy. Yet it would be wonderful to have a special little spot where I can spread my Bible, books and journals out, and not have to put everything away when I am done every morning. Just a little wish, Lord. Thanks."

When we arrived at the shore house, my husband Jim took the first of many heavy loads up to the house while I was organizing our children and gathering as many things in my mommy-octopus arms as I could carry. When Jim came back down he enthusiastically said, "Honey, there is a new little table in the family room that is perfect for morning quiet times." I had not even shared my prayer with Jim at that point, but he was excited about the table and knew it would be a perfect spot for devotions. Wow, Lord, thank you! I was so thankful to the Lord for remembering my prayer. The surprise addition of this furniture at the shore house was a treasured spot for me to meet with and seek the Lord each day.

A few days later, I called my sweet girlfriend who owns the house to see how she was feeling as she had been ill. Toward the end of our phone conversation, I told her, "By the way, we love the table you put in the living area of the house. It's perfect for morning quiet time with the Lord!"

"What table?" My friend asked.

"You know, the little table between the fire place and the front door. It's just perfect for devotions and studying."

"We didn't put a table there."

"Yes, you did."

"No, we didn't." She paused momentarily and then told me to hold on. Then she called to her tween daughter to inquire. Her daughter said "no," they didn't.

I took a picture of the table with my cell phone and texted it to my friend. Her reply: She had never seen the table before. She double-checked with her husband and a handful of people who have key access to their shore home. Nothing. Nobody knew about the table or how it got there.

But we knew.

God remembered my prayer.

The Master Carpenter prepared a table for me. He met me there. He encouraged and blessed my heart remarkably. He spoke His love and acceptance to my heart in a way I will always remember. He made my cup overflow. His goodness and love are following me, and I am so thankful and humbled. I prayed, saw His answer and responded with joyful thanks.

Before we left the shore house at the end of our week's vacation, I stood at the table with my hands on it. I prayed for all the people who had sat there before me and for those who will sit there in the future. I prayed they would meet with God there, that it would be a special place for them as well. I prayed also they would inquire of Him, be watchful for His answers and give Him joyous thanksgiving.

Ask Him to meet you. He will. The table is set. Join the Master Carpenter in conversations He has planned for your heart.

Dear Lord, I pray for a generous portion of You. Open my eyes that I may see Your detailed answers to my prayers. Give me a heart that watches in expectation of Your miracles and gives great thanks to You. May my heart's greatest desire be to meet with You daily. As the worship song says, 'May my life be one unbroken gaze, fixed upon the beauty of Your face.' Oh, Lord, may that be my life's passion! In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

Come Along: The Journey into a More Intimate Faith by Jane Rubietta

10 Minutes a Day with Jesus: Growing in Your Love for the Savior Jim Reapsome

Application Steps:
Choose a special spot to meet with and seek God daily in His Word.

Pray for His will and watch in expectation for His answers. Keep a prayer journal and be sure to record His responses and provisions.

Reflections:
Am I allowing God to mold the desires of my heart according to His will and purpose?

Have I asked God for a greater portion of Himself in my life?

Am I watchful and thankful?

Power Verses:
Colossians 4:2, "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." (NIV)

Isaiah 30:18, "Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him!" (NIV)

Mark 6:2-3, "'Where did this Man get these things?' they asked. 'What's this wisdom that has been given Him, that He even does miracles! Isn't this the carpenter?" (NIV)

© 2009 by Sharon Sloan. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , ,



25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful devotion! Isn't it awesome when God answers the small things? That lets us know that He can handle the BIG ONES even better when we trust Him.

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

Hello! I pray He blesses you through this devotion.

If you'd like to see a picture of the table that the Carpenter prepared for me, please visit me at "Joy In The Truth".

Also, I am hosting a little give-away today.

With sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord (Col. 3:22),
Sharon Sloan

Blogger Leah said...

What a beautiful story! That God would reveal His desire to meet with us daily in such a personal and tangible way. Thank you for sharing as it has truly blessed and encouraged me today.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me that God hears our prayers.I love it when our Father show up and show out letting us know that there is room for us at the table.He has prepared a feast for us. Let us continue to seek him daily for that quiet time where he offers refresment for our thristy souls.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a remarkable story. Our God cares so much and hears our prayers. What a God we serve! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks to Sharon for showing the picture of the table. I love the verse underneath it, too.

Anonymous JoAnna Swann said...

Wow! This devotion was a perfect example of how God works...in mysterious and mighty ways. I loved it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! This brought tears to my eyes! Still tearing up! We serve some wonderful God! Is the table still there or did God remove it after your visit? I REALLY believe God works in just these types of mysterious ways!

Blogger Danielle said...

This was perfect! Thank you, Lord for always answering the prayers of your children!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story of God's faithfulness and miracles! I am touched deeply. Tonight is our church's "Table Top Ministries" ladies' evening. It is an annual event where each group of ladies decorate their table and we have a great speaker and eat a nice dinner. It was my first year at this event, and I didn't know what to expect. I had thought my "Movie Star/Jesus is the Famous One"" theme was great...until I showed up at the sanctuary and saw all the gorgeous and elaborate Martha Stewart-esque displays. I felt cheap and felt I should relabel our table "B-Movie", "Divine Design on a Dime"or "Dollar Movie Night"! I Saw how each table had a small gift for each woman, and I felt like I wanted to give something besides the few little chocolates that we had decided upon. Since we all have a very tight budget in these times, I couldn't spend anything, plus it's so last minute. I have the perfect gift for each of my ladies now - your devotion. I am going to read it tonight as we meet and gather around the table that the Lord has prepared. It may not be the most beautifully decorated table for some, but now since I have the privilege of sharing your devotion about God's love, faithfulness and miracles, it will be transformed into something that radiates beauty from the heart! And who knows? Maybe when we show up tonight, the LORD will have helped decorate with a giant silver bling cross in the center and spotlights and a green rolling hill that says "HOLY-WOOD" like I had envisioned!!! Thank you so much, Sharon.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been struggling for the past few days just feeling so down and so far away from God. I've not neglected Bible reading, prayer, fellowship, repentance. It's just been a struggle. Last night, I was awakened rather abruptly, literally. I won't go into detail. But, I could not go back to sleep. I layed there and began to pray. "OK God, now would be a great time to tell me what in the world is going on with me. What have I done to feel so far away from You. Am I missing something?" And of course, He spoke right to my heart. He began to dig out those little things I had neglected to repent for. The little things that meant nothing to me until He shined a light, His light on them and I saw the impact. It was painful and made me feel really sick to my stomach. This morning, as I got up for quiet time, I found myself avoiding my kitchen table where all my quiet time material awaits me. So, I ventured to the computer to read P31 first. I never do that, by the way. And of course, I found today's devotion. I balled. It was as if He said, "You have nothing to be ashamed of, you're clean, it's gone. Now, come and sit with me a while." I know comments come and go but we don't always get to see how our obedience to use the talents He has given us (yours being writng these devotions) affects others in the kingdom. He is in the teeny tiniest details. What an amazing morning! Thank you. PTL!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this devo today - I am relating so much with the post above - God knew that I needed to read this. Thank you, Lord. I have been praying for . . . I even struggle to write it - please, Lord, you know what is in my heart and mind - please make it new - like all the past experience was never there.

Anonymous Lena said...

I had a similar thing happen to me last month! I prayed to God for a spot to pray, read and meditate. I was drained from life and needed refreshment. I was led to Home Depot, where a chair that I had my eye on for a couple of years just happened to be half price. Having faith that this was God's will for my Saturday morning, I bought the chair. Sadly, when I got the chair to my car it did not fit. I did not despair, however, because I knew that if this was God's will he would help me get the chair home. Just then a man driving a truck pulled into the parking space next to me. When he got out of his truck he asked me if I needed help. I told him that I couldn't get the chair I had just bought into my car. He offered to deliver it to my home! After the man safely delivered my chair he gave me his business card. I looked down at the card and the man's first name was Jesus and he was a carpenter! When Jesus opened the door of his truck to leave, the radio blasted "I Love You!" Wow!!!

Blogger Linda said...

I've had that secret prayer but didn't even know I could ask for my own quiet place. My Husband has a prayer room for us, and I appreciate it, but always feel like I'm disturbing his things when I go there. He too uses his space for all his bibles, note cards and tissue :)
Thanks so much Sharon for sharing your experience and reminding me that there is nothing too small for God, and that He cares about our needs.

Blogger ~Grace and Peace said...

Sharon,
I have tears and chills! Thank you for such a beautifully written story of God's miracle. It is a wonderful reminder that we have a God who longs to give us the desires of our hearts - big or small. I have been focused on the big ones lately - you know, the Please-Lord-save-my-husband type prayers that I have neglected to pray for the little ones.

God is good.

Thank you!
P.S. If I give you my cell number will you forward the picture of the table to me? :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to see the table also. The smallest reminders can be so awesome. I reunited with a Christian lady friend recently. Thank You Lord only You knew how much that means to us both. Go Prov31 I feel so enlightened and know God IS Good.

Blogger Eagles Wings said...

Thanks so much for your testimony! God is so good. I am reminded of a time when I simply wanted a chocolate chip cookie but didn't have any extra funds to do so..and low and behold the next day one of my co-workers made HOMEMADE chocolate chip cookies and brought them in to work for everyone! GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!

Anonymous Andrea said...

What a marvelous message, Sharon! Thanks so much for sharing this special story of how God answered your prayer about meeting with Him! Reminds me of our current Bible study in Genesis, where Abraham entertained "angels unaware" and was given God's promise and covenant. It was brought out how God preserves some mystery about Him, but it's for our good.

Please enter me in the drawing: ahenry048@aol.com
Thanks and love,
andrea

Blogger Sharon Sloan said...

Dear Grace and Peace:
You can see pictures of the table today on my post at:
www.joyinthetruth.blogspot.com
:)

To all of you who left comments:
Praise His name! So thankful He is blessing and encouraging His people through this miracle and how He set "A Table For Two".

He has a reservation for you and Him!

Oh my goodness, what a blessing today's devo was. I just asked the Lord to give me more of Him today and make me be less and less.

Thank you Sharon for sharing this beautiful and true story of how God answered the prayer of your heart in such a miraculous and real to the touch way! We serve such an awesome God!

I am thankful and am remembering to be Watchful today.

Lee Ann

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i can say is thank you!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this story. About a year ago, I was very sick and had a lab test done. It was a friday and I was so scared of what the results would be. I went home and prayed and cried for about a half hour, then fell asleep. A half hour later the phone rang and it was my doctors office with the results. It was good news. God truly does answer us when we call on him. What a wonderful Father we have!

Awesome devotion, Sharon! Our God is an awesome God! Praise you, Lord!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our God is AWESOME! I have experienced his power in many tangible ways in the past weeks too! He is providing for me and holding my hand as I go through cancer treatment! Let us rejoice every day and aknowledge his love in everything good that comes our way. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Blogger Eagles Wings said...

Okay after reading this yesterday, God showed up four different times in the little things...HE IS SO GOOD. I posted it on my blog
God is so good!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the robust IT automation tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central it outsourcing
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits