I Know How I Designed It
Van Walton

"…we are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus…" Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

My amazing husband can do anything. He's a fix-it man. There isn't anything he can't repair or create. He rebuilds damaged computers for family and friends, repairs weed eaters and garage door openers for neighbors, and rescues broken furniture from trash heaps. Recently he brought a chair home from a dinner party. It wasn't a gift and we didn't steal it. Someone sat in it and broke it!

After two days of taking the chair apart - performing what looked like orthopedic surgery to me, you know when pins and screws are inserted to keep bones and joints from further damage – followed by a little gluing, sanding, and staining, the chair looked brand new.

"Wow!" I said, impressed.

"Sit in it and rock back," he encouraged.

"Rock back? I don't think so! What if I break it?"

"Oh, believe me. You won't."

"How do you know?" I asked, not convinced.

"I know how I designed it. I know the pressure points and how much stress it can take" he responded with a smile of confidence. "Go on. Sit in it and rock back."

I sat down and rocked back.

The chair was solid. I don't care who sits in it, or how they land in it now, it will not break.

I think about the times we don't believe we can handle any more stress. The pressure seems overwhelming and we cry, "Time out! I can't take any more!"

God responds, "Trust me. You will not be destroyed. I know your pressure points. I know how much stress you can take. I know how I designed you."

I cannot describe the peace I felt when I related the work of my husband's hands to the work of God's hand.

Of course He knows how much I can take. After all He is my Creator, the one who bent down by the river and fashioned me with His hands. He's the one who knit me together in the depths of my mother's womb, the one who is called the Potter.

He knows the exact temperature needed in the kiln to create the perfect clay vessel. He knows how hot the fire must be to separate the dross from the silver and gold. He knows how much pressure a diamond or emerald must withstand in order for it to come forth solid and brilliant. He knows how long the irritant must sit in an oyster before it becomes a pearl.

My Father knows exactly how much I can take. He knows because He designed me. With that realization I am able to trust Him and smile at the future, no matter how hard life is today.

Lord Jesus, You are the Carpenter. You know exactly how to build a piece that will withstand pressure and stress, a work of art that will not easily crumble. You created me the same way.
Rather than tremble in the face of despair, help me trust in Your design. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
From the Pound to the Palace by Van Walton

Beyond the Shadow of Doubt (DVD) by Renee Swope

Visit Van’s blog

Application Steps:
Memorize this phrase and repeat it whenever you feel you "can take no more" pressure or stress: "God knows my stress and pressure points. He will not allow me to be crushed. He knows because He has designed me."

Reflections:
What brings me to the edge of despair?

Can I trust God that I may have to undergo stress and feel some pressure before I reach His final design for me?

Power Verses:
Malachi 3:3, "He will sit like a refiner of silver, burning away the dross. He will purify the Levites, refining them like gold and silver…" (NLT)

2 Corinthians 4:7-9, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed…" (KJV)

© 2009 by Van Walton. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , ,



14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the devotion. What an encouragement just to know that God is at work in me even so during the moments of despair. My current work as a school teacher, brings a lot of despair in me, I want to give it my best, but many times I get frustrated when things fall apart in the classroom. In moments like that I find myself just sitting down and saying God where is this leading to? Thank you for reminding me to trsut God all the time and to remember that he formed me and knows me and what I am going through by detail and has a purpose in everything!! Alelujah, Dear Lord, I love you Lord and I am sorry for momemts of doubt. Give me strenth and help me to focus on you always!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just what I needed to hear today. I am about to start nursing school, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with my upcoming workload (along with a husband and 3 kids). I know it will be difficult but I truly believe this is the path God wants me to take. Thanks for reminding me that he would not ask me to do something I could not accomplish through his help.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going through it now...my children are struggling with BIG-sinful things and I am broken and hurting. I feel anger and shame and guilt.

It DOES feel like God is taking me beyond my pressure point. I have wondered if I can make it through.

Yes, I need to remember He knows....AND He cares.

I need encouragement from God.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being a messenger!! The Lord truly spoke to me this morning in what you shared. I am in a time in my life where I do feel many days as though the Lord is saying "Rock back in the chair, Trust me, not the chair or yourself, to hold you up and keep you from falling" I remind myself daily that HE is in control of ALL things and I just need to take comfort and peace in that. Yes, my stress level is/should be at an all time high with all the things I am dealing with right now (husband is a student pastor, 2 children, work, full time college student, i am very involved in his ministry, in the process of husband interviewing at a new church in a different state) this list could go on and on. But I HAVE to continue to remind myself, the LORD made me and HE knows my pressure points and will carry me through even the most stressful and hard situations in my life. I just have to keep my focus on HIM instead of the waves crashing around me or on the lions mouths about to devour me. Thank you for my reminder today!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PSALM 37:24 "When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the LORD is the One who holds his hand." (NASB)

GOD IS IN CONTROL

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your devotion today. It came at the perfect time. My husband is struggling with cancer and things are not getting better after what seems like forever. I'm at a point where I'm not sure how much more I can handle, but I am encouraged when I read your words and know that God is in control.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for this devotion i like the other messengers am overwhelmed with stress and all the troubles in daily life this devoition is one i can relate to and remember it is awsome and really does remind me that god is waiting to catch me when i lean back to far.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Just when I think I've had enough, or even way too much, I can choose to remember whose I am. I am a masterpiece of the Creator! He will never give me more than I can handle. Thank you God for your strength, your ability in the presence of my frailty.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank you for the rhema word today, I also was just spending time this morning with GOD knowing that everything I am going through is all ordained by GOD and yes HE is in total control. I am a newly wed and me and my new husband got married after a very short courtship with no premarital counseling or anything and I now realize what I did, I am going through pretty badly cause we are really just getting to know eachother and it's already very challenging but we are both christians who knew that marriage is not easy and we will have to work at it and we are both committed. I must say that dealing with a new husband that I am really just getting to know is a whole lot and is definetly driving me to my knees a whole lot more, I praise GOD that even though I was hasty in my decision to get married, HE still cares for me and will use this to make me stronger, HE knows what it takes to keep me in line, I wanted a husband soo bad, well I got one and I have to go to GOD alot about how to deal with our diffrences and how to make this work. Everyone pray for me please!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the devotional today it is exactly what I needed. I am a stay at home mother and my husband is self-employed. Here lately I have had a difficult time thinking that I do not do anything but stay home and take care of children, clean and cook and really do not contribute to anything important within my household or to Gods work. I have felt rather unimportant and insignificant, but this mornings devotional reminded me that God is my maker and he has put me here in this position for a reason and that he is in control of our lives.
Thanks

Blogger Hope Wilbanks said...

It's so ironic that this is today's devotion because I have felt over the last couple of weeks like I was just about ready to break under the pressures of life. But it is so true...God makes us strong. Through HIM we find the strength we need to make just one more mile. And even when we feel weak, through our weakness, HE is made strong. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the newly married lady. I will be praying for you. I am single but I know that counseling is a great thing. Proverbs 15:22 says "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." I went through Christian counseling for years and would not be the same without it. I encourage you to do the same - you can call it 'postmarital counseling' :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Not only is this devotion EXACTLY what I needed, it also encourages me to read about so many women who are staying strong in the LORD during their trials. You are not alone - and I'm not either! It's not that I want other people to suffer, but knowing that I am not the only one who goes through things in life keeps my life in perspective. Every week it has been the same routine for me - work, homework, eat, sleep, wake up the next morning tired. I am working full-time in two high schools, taking graduate school classes, planning a wedding for this June, working in the church as a youth leader, and I was coaching two sports earlier in the year - and I have been so tired and stressed and financially unstable! But I thank GOD for all that He has done for me and how He has provided every need so far! I'm so glad to know that He knows exactly how much pressure I can and that He will not give me more than I can bear. Please, LORD, help me to keep my mind on You no matter what goes on in my life!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I so loved this and needed it. I am exactly in that place this moment. Thank you, Lord.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits