No Condemnation
Melissa Taylor

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1 (NIV)

Today's key verse is one of my favorites. It has comforted me many times in my life. It gives us freedom from the condemnation we often project on ourselves. If God promises freedom, then why is it so hard for us to believe, feel and grasp the fact that there is indeed "no condemnation" for Christians?

Self-condemnation just comes natural to me. If I didn't purposefully keep my eyes fixed on Jesus and remind myself of who I am in Christ, I'd beat myself to pieces with condemning thoughts and words.

The Lord has the neatest ways of reminding me there is no condemnation as His child. Just this morning God spoke to me directly through a devotion I read in Sarah Young's book Jesus Calling. I felt as if the author had been following me around and knew exactly what I needed to hear. Actually I knew it was God Who knew exactly what I needed to hear. It read, "Do not listen to voices of accusation for they are not from Me."

Hello Lord. Are you talking to me? You know that I often feel down and disappointed in myself and call myself names. You knew my feelings had been hurt by someone's comments. I hear You telling me not to listen to the voices of accusation. Thank you for that reminder right when I needed it.

The devotion continued, "Pause before responding to people or situations, giving My Spirit space to act through you. Hasty words and actions leave no room for Me."

Lord, is that You again? You know that I spoke unkind words to my husband last night and You reminded me to "pause before responding." Thank you Lord for bringing me these words as a reminder of what You want from me. I needed these today, right now.

I get so excited and amazed when this happens. It just affirms that God cares about me. He loves me. He is real in my life today. Have you ever had a "God moment" like this?

If left to defend myself from self-condemnation and condemnation from others, I'd be defeated every time. Fortunately we don't have to defend ourselves. In fact, In fact, “the Lord Himself will fight for you” (Exodus 14:13-14). We have the greatest defender in God and His Word. As we take the time to listen to Him, He can remind us that He is with us, He loves us, and it's true..."There is NO CONDEMNATION in Christ Jesus!"

Dear Lord, when I forget, please remind me that I am not condemned. Help me to see the difference between conviction and condemnation and keep my eyes and thoughts on You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence by Sarah Young

Spend quiet time listening to the Voice of Love with Sanctuary: A Devotional Bible for Women

For more encouragement on this topic, Listen to Today’s Radio Show, March 30, 2009 edition

Share your “God moments” with Melissa on her blog

Application Steps:
When spending time with the Lord, pause and ask Him if there is something He's trying to tell you. Ask Him to help you apply His Word to your life.

Reflections:
Am I listening to God?
Are there condemning thoughts about myself that I am believing?
Am I fixing my eyes on Christ?

Power Verses:
Exodus 14:13-14, "Don't be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today. The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm." (NLT)

Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." (NIV)

© 2009 by Melissa Taylor. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , ,



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for this devotion today! My husband hurt my feelings last night and I couldn't stop defending myself so it led to "words of anger". And of course, I couldn't sleep because I was carrying those words and thoughts in my heart most of the night. Not until I asked for God's forgiveness and for help in overcoming this did I get relief. Thank you again!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this devotion today. I really need Father God defending me today. God bless you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my god momment was a song that came on the radio every time i was down and out i was going thru a really tough time a few years ago i didn't attend church as a matter of fact i am a ex Morman they kicked me out so for many years i felt as if god didn't want me and i had no one to talk to but then the song WAVE ON WAVE would come on the radio and i felt it was god telling me to hang on I was able to get thru that time now my god moments are: i will get an email or read something on this site that gets me just like your devotion. thank you.

Blogger Kaylee said...

Praise God!!! Every woman needs to be encouraged like this on a DAILY basis.

Ladies, we all have issues that we wrongly condemn ourselves for, and I for one need this daily reminder from my sisters in Christ that my self condemnation is not biblical!

Jesus loves me and gave His life for me, and His blood takes away ALL my sins.

Thank you Father for my sister Mellisa telling me what I needed to hear, and I pray for every sister who DOES NEED to hear this.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! Recently in prayer, the 'accuser' showed up and started bringing some cold hard facts. It had not happened like this in a long time, and in the past I would jump on the bandwagon, agreeing with the accuser, tumbling down that black hole of failure. This time was different as God has been perfecting His love in me. I cried out to my Abba Father and within seconds I heard Him saying "You're Mine! You're Mine! And I will defend you any day against that accuser because you're Mine!!" He is the perfect Father!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa! Thanks bunches for this devotional. I feel silly, as I did not realize what self condemnation was. I've been doing that for years!! God has been helping me "Capture" my thoughts in this area. I knew the thoughts weren't healthy, but I did not recognize them for what they were.
May the Holy Spirit give you and all of us continued wisdom and insight and obedience in this area. *.*

Blogger Tyrone Ferrara said...

Great advise:

Pause before responding to people or situations, giving the Spirit space to act through you.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow a friend sent me thei devotion today. What a gift from God.

Very wise advice; not always easy to do. "Pause before responding to people or situations, giving the Spirit space to act through you." I struggle with this every single day.

Thank you Katelynn for your words cause I could not say it any better. what power and he does love me and I give thanks for that daily.

My God is an all encompasing, forgiving, loving God, the only one still holding me prisoner is me and I need to give it all to him.

He is molding me and melting me and making what it is he wants me to be. Thank you Lord. I am ready to catch this wave and ride it out all the way, so everything else get out of my way.

God Bless you all
AntLex

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

This is my very first attempt to BLOG!

The two scriptures that were posted at the end of your devotion were the exact same two scriptures God had me use to help others! That morning I had written in my journal "WOW!"

Be encouraged! It was definitely a God moment.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits