God's Provision – Part 1
Lysa TerKeurst

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God who richly provides us with everything ..." 1 Timothy 6:17 (NIV)

It seems you can hardly turn anywhere today without seeing reminders of economic hardships. A couple weeks ago the news reported we are experiencing the highest unemployment rate our country has seen in 60 years. Friends and family members are suffering due to the loss of jobs, investments gone bad, and cutbacks that seem to be everywhere.

I have a friend who has owned a thriving car dealership for over 30 years. This man and his family have been pillars in their community who are known for their generosity and kind Christian spirits.

This week he declared bankruptcy and has literally lost everything - including their cars. If that isn't cruel irony, I don't know what is.

So, I've had to have some discussions with God about the absolute heartbreak of this situation. I know God is the great provider, so why isn't He providing for my friend? God is a miracle worker, so why isn't He working a miracle for my friend?

These are fair questions about what seems like a terribly unfair situation.

Whenever I face situations I am having a hard time understanding, I have to park my mind with what I know to be true. Keeping my mind saturated with truth keeps Satan from being able to whisper dangerous assumptions, false accusations, and faith-eroding perspectives.

So, what is true in this situation? What is true no matter what situation we are facing?

God is a good provider.

This is true. This is where I must park my mind. This is the reality that must saturate my thoughts. This truth rises above our troubling circumstances and calls us to see life from a perspective outside our screaming realities.

God richly provides us with everything we need. Therefore I must trust that God is providing for my friend. What is in front of my friend is God's provision. God hasn't stopped providing just because my friend is in financial turmoil. This situation hasn't caught God off guard. God hasn't somehow run out of resources to help my friend.

Part of God's perfect provision for my friend is to walk through this. I may not like it. I may not understand it. But, because my friend knows and loves God, I have peace that he will make it through this.

The Bible tells us in Philippians 4:8-9 that if we think on what is true, the peace of God will be with us. And ultimately, isn't peace what we want? That's what I really want for my friend. I want this precious man and his family to have peace more than I want their dealership to be saved, their finances restored, and their old life to suddenly come back and settle into place.
Praise God, His peace is but an utterance of truth away. So, sweet sister, park your mind with His truth today. And watch God's perfect provision of peace flood whatever dry and lacking ache you are experiencing right now.

Dear Lord, thank You for being my provider each day. Help me not to fear these times of hardship. Rather, help me to trust in You and Your ways more each day. My desire is to focus on what is true and believe that You will make the rough places smooth. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst

What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst

For a list of encouraging verses about God’s provision, visit Lysa’s blog

Application Steps:
Every time a discouraging thought comes into your mind today:

▪Replace it with a verse from God's Word.

▪Replace it with the truth that God is a good provider and that His unfailing love for you will not be shaken.

▪Replace it by seeking Him and calling on Him for He is always near.

Reflections:
How can God's peace restore your faith today?

How can God's provision restore your situation today?

Power Verses:
Psalm 84:1-2, "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God." (NIV)

Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." (NIV)

© 2009 by Lysa TerKeurst. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,



10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this reminder. It was exactly what the Lord is speaking to me right now in my life. Do I trust HIM enough to trust that HE will provide for my family? I am so thankful for the WORD OF GOD and how the Lord speaks through it to us everytime we seek Him in it. As soon as I read the Psalms 84 verse I began singing "Better is one day" in my head. So I am going to be singing that all day, when I begin to feel worried about things. thank you

Blogger Christine Smith said...

I needed this today - thank you

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is an alcoholic and went out drinking last night. I never know when he is going to come home. It's almost 8:30am and I can't reach him. He should be at work by now. I need to feel God's perfect peace right about now. Thank you for writing these devotions. They touch all of us readers in so many ways.

Anonymous Becky said...

Thanks Lysa, I woke this morning with a grieved heart about the direction our country is going, not only financially but morally. Thank the LORD, that even though things are changing, HE isn't!

Anonymous Desiree said...

To the lady that has an alcoholic husband...
I am praying desperately for you!
I know we don't know each other but i feel your pain, and i was once in a similar situation.
My heart goes out to you. God is with you always!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you,and GOD is so awesome! I am a married singe parent, {because my husband walked out and left me} I have four children and am unemployed, I live in a house where I am paying rent, electric, gas, water and phone, internet and cable bills, I have a husband who was providing until he decided he just didn't want to do it anymore, I was so devestated and I am now just trying to pull myself together with the help of my Heavenly Father of course, and all these bills with no income is very overwhelming, I am asking GOD what to do, I need a job, I need help, I didn't even wanna get out of bed this morning, I am fighting depression, I know GOD can handle this, and then I turn on my computer and come to this devotion, praise GOD! A right now word for my situation, HE is my provider, and I will be alright!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing how timely this message was for me. fantastic post, very relevant. thank you for speaking God's truth into my life

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to hear this - God is nudging me to change some things that are related to our family finances - I'm scared and worried I SOOOO needed to hear this today. I shared it w/ friends on FB too.

We've had a terrible year financially - I was a Stay-at-home Mom until my husband was laid off twice, now I work 2 PT jobs while he is training to be a police officer - I really want to stay home again and work on a small business plan that I have in mind...one part time job will end in June anyway and the other is not a good fit...I am hoping that God is behind the way I am feeling lately and it's the right decision...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Word from the Lord. It is so very encouraging. I have friends in almost the same position that you shared in the devo. I am praying that God will give them special grace.

To the lady with the alcoholic husband. Yes, I have been there. I am praying for you and your husband.

To the lady with 4 children. I am so sorry your husband left. My heart goes out to you. I am praying for you. I am so glad that God is there with you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day

We do not agree with this year BRITs 2010 decision.

Please visit our little web survey

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than Nina Hagen

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/earcorrection.html]ohrenkorrektur[/url]

Pet Shop Boys surprise lucky BRITs fan with a MasterCard Priceless Gig in their living room

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits