God's Masterpiece...Who Me?
Melissa Taylor

"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)

You've got to be kidding me? If I didn't see it for myself in God's Word, I wouldn't believe it. Ephesians 2:10 says "…we are God's masterpiece."

Wait a minute, this cannot be right. I don't feel like a masterpiece. I certainly don't look like a masterpiece. But God's Word says that I am a masterpiece. And not just anyone's masterpiece; I am God's masterpiece.

According to Merriam-Webster's online thesaurus, synonyms of masterpiece are: showpiece, blockbuster, success, gem, jewel, prize, treasure, and piece of the master. Insert any of these words into today's verse in place of masterpiece.

Doesn't it just take your breath away to know that there is Someone that feels this way about you?

God loves what He created, so shouldn't we too? I struggle not to get down on myself. Often I focus on what I do wrong more than what I do right. I look in the mirror, compare myself to someone else and I just feel blah. That's right, blah. I wonder, "What's special about me?"
It is very hard for me to believe that I am God's masterpiece. Do you have thoughts like these? If so, stop right there! Don't let those lies penetrate any deeper. That's not what our Creator thinks.

When I listen to the Truth, which is His Word, not my thoughts, then I hear Him saying things like, "Oh Melissa, you don't always get it right, that's true, but I love you so much. Look in My mirror and see what I see, My beautiful creation, My treasure, My masterpiece.
The sooner you see yourself for who you really are, the sooner you can take your reign as My priceless princess with a purpose - My masterpiece. You were created in My image and you are indeed a piece of the Master."

Dear Lord, thank You for creating me in Your image and calling me Your masterpiece. Please help me to live like the one You created me to be. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Listen to Today’s Radio Show for more on the Father’s love

The Wonder of His Love: A Journey into the Heart of God by Nancy Stafford

His Princess, Love Letters from Your King by Sherri Rose Shepherd

Visit Melissa's blog

Application Steps:
Take note of the way you think about yourself today. If you notice a lot of negative thoughts occupying your mind, intentionally choose to think about what God says about you. Remind yourself that you are a masterpiece of our almighty God.

Reflections:
Do I believe that I am God's masterpiece?

How do I view true beauty?

What can I do to remind others and myself that we are true treasures of God?

Power Verses:
2 Corinthians 1:21-22, "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." (NIV)

Ephesians 1:4, "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight." (NIV)

© 2009 by Melissa Taylor. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , ,



6 Comments:

Anonymous rk said...

YES! we are God's treasure! we can believe this! look how God sent His Son Jesus to save us from the power of satan and to put our sins on Him,and take our sins to the cross,enduring pain and suffering and eventually death,all of this for His masterpieces! And the miracle did'nt stop there,He deafeated satan and He arose from the dead,accentuating His miracle!
Yes we are precious,start living like we are,and also remember other people who don't feel precious,are down and out,have no hope,don't know or don't want to know God,we all know someone like that,get out and witness to them so they can be Gods masterpiece!

Blogger Dustan and Becka said...

I find that this verse is also helpful when I turn it around to others.

My husband, my parents, my children, my girlfriends, the women at my church, the gals that get on my ever lovin' nerves...

They are all masterpieces. How can I not take the time to care for, admire, and praise a masterpiece created by THE Creator?

It is also a reminder to not scream at, gossip about, or tear down these lovely pieces of work that God made for His purpose.

Anonymous Angela Schreffler said...

You know, masterpiece is beauty in the eye of the beholder. One person's masterpiece may not look like a masterpiece to another. We as women, need to remember that masterpiece is God's view of us. He is the creator. We come in all shapes, sizes and colors. WE ALL are a masterpiece of God. It doesn't matter what the person walking down the street or sitting by us thinks. Our God thinks we are beautiful and capable women...masterpieces He created.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so funny, because this verse has been on my heart all week. God is so timely. I love that we are his masterpiece. He's working out a tremendous exhibition of His power, love, peace, joy & applying the paint in exactly the right places & that results in good works(compassion, helping meet a need). That's the part of the verse I love. The good work he's already prepared in advance just waiting for us to walk into & experience it. That's all our part is, just to walk into it. It's an invitation for us to join Him. The best part is He allow's us to experience the thrill of great joy, peace, & happiness in blessing someone else. To God be the Glory.
Monica

Blogger Tia said...

I am really working on believing this in my life. I am going to a new bible study called, "Me, Myself, and Lies" and it is really encouraging. I feel like I am so hard on myself all of the time and sometimes I feel like God views me the same way I view myself, but that is a lie. I am some what of a perfectionist and so I am very hard on myself whenever I do mess up. I just have to keep believing that God sees me as being perfect in Christ. He loves me for who I am and I don't have to earn anything. I am glad that I am his jewel. I just need to start living like one. :)

Anonymous T. R. Cosby said...

Don't post this one. I would like to ask you to prayerfully consider exchanging links with me. God has shifted me from a more prophetic blog to teaching more verse by verse. My blog was a Page Rank #1 when it was: end-times-truth.blogspot.com. Now I am starting over. If that would be okay, please use anchor text: "Bible Truth" Thanks so much and God bless.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits