Treasured Thoughts of a Mother
Wendy Pope

“But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."Luke 2:19 (NIV)

I remember it like it was yesterday: the long-awaited arrival of my first born. Conception had evaded us for two years, so when she finally arrived and was placed in my arms, I could hardly contain myself. I counted all her fingers and toes, then inspected every inch of her soft, pink wrinkled skin.

Family and friends came from many miles away just to see our little one. As I stared at this long-awaited miracle I wondered about her life. What would it be like? The thoughts and emotions I felt were too much for words. I treasured these moments in my heart like another young mother I once read about.

This mother's name was Mary and the name of her long-awaited miracle was Jesus. Her baby was born in a stable. People heard of his birth and traveled many miles just to see her little one. She must have wondered what his life would be like. Her thoughts and emotions were too much for words. She treasured and pondered them in her heart.

Mary, a young teenage girl, was chosen to be the mother of the Savior of the world. I have often wondered exactly what Mary knew about her son's future. Did she know he would heal the sick and raise the dead? Did she know that he would calm storms and feed the hungry? I am not sure what she knew, but according to scripture she got a glimpse into to her son's future as well as her own when she and Joseph, following Jewish custom, brought the newborn into the temple to be consecrated to the Lord. A man by the name of Simeon was in the temple that day and was moved by the Spirit to speak prophecy over the infant child.

He spoke, "And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His mother, "Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed--and a sword will pierce even your own soul--to the end that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed" (Luke 2:34-35, NASB).

I can't even imagine what this young mother thought as she heard these words prophesied about her tiny miracle. How does a mother respond to hearing the news that a sword would pierce her soul, the very soul that days earlier had treasured the wonders of the birth of her first born son? Did Mary spend her entire life wondering, "Is today the day my soul will be pierced?"

Her soul was pierced 33 short years after she pondered the first moments of her son's life. Her soul was pierced on a hill called Calvary where she was an eyewitness to the purpose of her son's life. The events that took place on that hill tell us what her son's life was all about: He was born to die. The purpose of His life was to give my life and your life purpose. For a moment, will you treasure these thoughts and ponder them in your heart?

How will you respond to the treasured thought that Jesus’ death means life for you? Perhaps your thoughts are leading you to desire to call Him Savior for the first time. If so, would you let us know?

Dear Lord, I want to live a life of gratitude. Thank You for the sacrifice You made to make sure that I would spend eternity with You. Consume my thoughts today. Awaken my soul to new delight in You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Unwrapping His Christmas Presence CD by Renee Swope

i am not but i know I AM by Louie Giglio

Join Wendy to talk more about this topic together on her blog.

Application Steps:
Re-read Luke's account of the birth of our Savior. Take your time. Treasure up all the details of the story and ponder them in your heart.

Reflections:

What does Jesus’ birth mean to me?

What is my reaction to God when He calls me to do a God-sized task?

Power Verses:
Isaiah 9:6, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (NIV)

Luke 1:29-33, "Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, ’Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.’" (NIV)

Luke 2:11-12, "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." (NIV)


© Wendy Pope. All Rights Reserved.

Labels: , , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I think about His birth, I am overwhelmed. As a mother, I cannot fathom the emotions that Mary felt. I know how special my children are to me but to think that one of them had God for a father!!!! The God-head-bodily. The very essence of God the Father in the Son.
I also cannot imagine what happened in heaven the night before the angel visited Mary. How bitter-sweet can a moment be? To know the important it was to His creation that He come to be human for us, but the knowledge that they would be separated for the first time in eternity. How thankful for the Holy Spirit who indwelled Him! That He could take that part of His father with Him. To know He never had to “come to salvation” because He never broke the Law. Wow. I cannot put my words together for this.
How thankful I am to know that this same Holy Spirit indwells me. It’s not a watered-down, diluted, half-and-half version or anything! It’s the full-blown thing right inside me! Teaching me, leading me, showing Himself to me daily so I can have fellowship with Him! He wants my fellowship enough that He left His home in Glory, left the throne, His Father….. for me.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits