A Christmas Solo
Zoe Elmore

"For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 (NKJ)

Though I’m an untrained singer, I had the privilege of singing a solo in our church’s annual Christmas program for over ten years. You can imagine how thrilling it was to hear the orchestra and one hundred voices behind me as I sang “Oh Holy Night.” Each and every time I sang that song, I was transported into the presence of the Lord. I felt as if my feet were leaving the ground as each note climbed higher and higher until the final crescendo. I think I now understand why angels fly as they live in God’s presence!

This wonderful annual experience came to an abrupt end several years ago after an illness and medical condition removed my ability to sing. My ability, but not my desire! While my mouth can no longer sing praises very loud, my heart still soars as I squeak out the words to Handle’s “Messiah.” I still love to sing spiritual songs, especially those of the Christmas season.

The Lord knows this, and has given me one of the sweetest gifts I’ve ever received: a new inward heart-song of worship and awe. Even with such a tender and lovely present from the Holy Spirit, I’m amazed at how easily I become distracted by the shopping, parties and food of this season. The “need” to decorate and bake often shouts louder than my need to sing my heart-song. While none of these holiday preparations are bad in themselves, they can easily overshadow the celebration of the birth of Jesus. The trimmings and trappings can far too easily eclipse the true meaning of this marvelous season, stealing my new heart-song and silencing my worship.

This Christmas I have made a commitment to concentrate on celebrating the name of Jesus by continuously singing my heart-song. It is the Name we bless in times of thanksgiving; the Name we call upon in times of trouble; and, the Name that brings us the love, joy, peace and salvation we need at all times.

Will you join me in making the name of Jesus the centerpiece of your Christmas celebration this year? In the midst of the songs your mouth will sing, ask the Holy Spirit to give you the gift of a new song in your heart. A new heart-song celebrating the powerful, lovely, wonderful, life-giving, everlasting Name of Jesus! Sing forth praises to the name of Jesus today!
Dear Lord, I bow before You as my Savior, Lord and King. I ask You to help me celebrate Your presence in my life with a new heart-song of worship with You as the centerpiece. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Jesus by name?

Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas by Sharon Jaynes

31 Days of Praise by Ruth Myers

For more ideas of celebrating Christ at Christmas visit Zoë’s blog

Application Steps:
What can I change about my Christmas celebration to foster a new heart-song of worship?

Reflections:
How can I encourage my family to celebrate this Holy season with a heart-song of their own?

Power Verses:
1 John 5:11, “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.” (NIV)

Psalm 40:3, “He has put a new song in my mouth - Praise to our God…” (NKJV)

© 2008 by Zoe Elmore. All rights reserved.

Labels: , ,



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoe, what a great devotional. Love you.

Mine is a life who God used you to change, that in turn saved my marriage, that in turn is saving more marriages and we all know a saved marriage can do more than we can imagine.

Merry Christmas fellow mother of boys-lover of frills.

Charlotte Cole

Blogger DOakley said...

Thank you for your message, Zoe.

I'm a soloist myself and my favorite song to sing is O Holy Night. My most favorite note in all of music is the top G (usually) of this one.

I know it must have been extremely painful for you to learn that you wouldn't be able to sing like that again. I know, because if it happened to me I would be absolutely devastated (I was unable to sing solos for a year...my heart broke into a million pieces.)

But, I can also identify with the heart-song. We have the amazing blessing of a baby boy this Christmas and I find my heart singing even when my voice is silent (which isn't very often! LOL!)

Thank you for such an uplifting and poignant message.

Darlene

Blogger Lana said...

What a fantastic reminder. It is easy as a singer to get in to "making the worship happen". I sometimes find myself wrapped up in what the song sounds like instead of stoping and truly listening with my heart...
Thank you for this reminder. I am linking over to this today from my blog...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoe,
Thank you for this mornings devotional.
The thought that came to my mind was how beautiful you will be able to sing praises to Him when you stand in His presents. Then you will have your beautiful voice restored and be able to sing all your heart songs to Him in his presents

Kathy

Blogger Zoe Elmore said...

Friends,
Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement. I pray the Lord will visit you with HIS presence this Holy Season.
Please stop by my blog and leave your a comment.
Keep singing those heart songs
Merry Christmas!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your devotion! So oftne people sing the songs ,but they are really just moving their lips. They are not thinking about or feeling what the words are saying.
We all should appreciate more our ability to "make a joyful" noise unto the Lord.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Shelly

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits