Longing To Be a Lily
By Luann Prater

“See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.” Matthew 6:27-28 (NIV)

“They are simply stunning,” she raved, referring to the massive clump of lily blooms. Two years ago we moved that batch of flowers with us to this house, even though they had never produced one single blossom. We had hopes that given enough sun, space and care, they might just surprise us. And they did – just like my daughter, Tiffany.

We celebrated our youngest daughter’s college graduation recently, followed immediately by her engagement. It was during this gala event that our friend noticed the striking array of blooms leading up to our door. The lilies captured her attention.

The day after my visitors left, I sat at work pondering my daughter’s life. I had been thinking that day about how close I came to aborting my Tiffany, how incredibly hopeless I felt 22 years ago. But in the midst of it all, God had sent a 96 year-old angel by the name of Mrs. Metcalf to gently pat my hand and proclaim, "This baby will be a blessing." Soon after, those 6 words echoed in my mind as I sat in the waiting room at Planned Parenthood. When they called my name, I cried and ran for the door. I did not abort my baby.

While I was thanking God for Tiffany’s life, the phone rang. It was my counseling minister at church calling to ask for help. He’d just hung up from talking with a distraught mother who discovered she was pregnant...again. Her life was in turmoil and she had an appointment the next day for an abortion. He knew my story and asked if I would consider calling her. Isn't God amazing?

Please know that my life was not without many challenges after I made the decision to have my child. But this particular week I rejoiced that God urged a neighbor to come along side me and whisper words of hope. So here I was with the opportunity to share my story with someone so close to the same decision. I called her. I didn't preach, but simply told her my story. I told her how much I understood her panic, her fear, and her doubt, and it brought us together. Then I shared that 22 years ago I could never have imagined standing and applauding my daughter at her college graduation. Tiffany in turn has touched many others by her joyful, bubbly life. How could I have known the plans that God had in store for that precious baby in my womb? I didn’t, but God did. And He used Mrs. Metcalf to speak to me.

Mrs. Metcalf was my lily – my attention getter. She didn’t toil or spin trying to figure out what to say to me, or force her influence on my decision. Instead, she simply glowed with God’s beauty.

Is there a life near you that needs a lily – a display of God’s love, a place to feel His care? Are you willing to just simply be there for someone today and let God love him or her through you?

Dear Lord, thank You for giving us beautiful examples of how we should live our lives, like the lilies; simple, fragrant, outstanding. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

* We praise God for this beautiful story from Luann’s life. However, we realize that some of you may have suffered through the pain of an abortion. Therefore, we are running a devotion tomorrow written by Lysa where she’ll share her story, and the hope and healing that can be found following an abortion.


Related Resources
Traveling Together by Karla Worley

Who Holds the Key To Your Heart? by Lysa TerKeurst. (Lysa wrote this book and Bible study specifically for people who are suffering in silence due to regrets from their past.)

Do You Know Jesus?

Visit Luann’s Blog

Application Steps
Live this day as if there was no one to impress. Focus on God. Simply be.

Reflections
What do I busy myself with in an effort to please God?

How do I spend my day?

Why do I worry about being useful?

Power Verses
Matthew 11:28, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (NIV)

John 13:35, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (NIV)

1 Corinthians 3:7, “So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.” (NIV)

© 2008 by Luann Prater. All rights reserved.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this devotional!! Very timely!! A new ministry is opening up here in town for 12-17 year old girls who are finding themselves pregnant. In this house, we're trying to teach them that there are other options than abortion. I will share this devotional with them.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for having the courage to listen to his voice and for believing in his promises.

Blogger Cheryl Barker said...

How wonderful, Luann, that God is using you and your story to reach out to other women faced with such a critical life-changing decision. God's blessings on you!

Blogger Brandi Dabbs said...

I loved the application... My husband and I are raising 8 teenage girls as well as our own 2 toddlers, and I needed to hear "simply be." I am always trying to please everyone... but I need simply be who God made me. Thank you

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was such a moving story. I also was faced with a simular situationI sixteen years ago! . Some times when were going through a tough time, satin wispers words of discouragement! Thank "god" for christians that give words of hope!

Blogger Lynn said...

I had an abortion at the age of 21. That was 24 years ago and there is not a single day that goes by that I don't think of that baby. No one tells you how painful it is knowing what you've done and how hard it is to forgive yourself. I came from a very strict christian home and thought this was my only way out. See how satan lies to us. Unlike you, I have not sought counseling and continue to live with the shame and regret. Thanks for sharing your story. God Bless You.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits