An Unhurried Life
By Glynnis Whitwer

“Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, ‘Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!’ The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder, ‘Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!’ Jesus stopped and called them. ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ he asked.” Matthew 20:30-32 (NIV)

I am drawn to un-hurried people. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm the opposite - and wish I was more like them.

Unhurried moms take the time to explain to their kids where they are going. Hurried moms tell their children to get in the car and they'll find out soon. I think the children of the unhurried mom learned a bit more about their city, streets and addresses.

Unhurried women take time to chat with a tired sales clerk, and brighten her day. Hurried women rush in and out, glancing at their watches, and tapping their nails on the counter if there's a delay. I think the sales clerk got a touch of Jesus from that unhurried woman.

Unhurried women think about how to show love to others - whether it's picking out the right gift, a hand-written note of encouragement, or a phone call. Hurried women wish they had picked out the right gift, written a note, or made that phone call.

Although Jesus was busy, the Bible never mentions Him being in a hurry. Others around Jesus tried to hurry Him up, but Jesus refused to be rushed. He always made time to hold a child, touch a sick man or talk to a woman whose wrong choices ostracized her from others. Jesus could have hurried – He had more to accomplish in three years than we can imagine accomplishing in a lifetime. But He chose to put people over His schedule.

The solutions to a hurried life are simple, yet difficult to incorporate into a life that is addicted to rushing. For those of us who hurry out of habit, we must choose to slow down. We might choose to speak slowly, to walk slowly, or to eat slowly. We might get up 30 minutes earlier so that we aren't rushing our kids in the morning. We might have dinner in the crockpot so we can sit and read a book with a child, or chat with our husbands on the patio. We might not schedule business appointments so close together that we don't have time to ask a co-worker how his or her family is doing.

Some of us must address the issue of hurry if we are to live the grace-filled lives Jesus calls us to live. So take a deep breath, let it out slowly, pause to pray, and enjoy an un-hurried day.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for taking the time to show Your love for me today. Thank You for giving us Jesus – who modeled a life of love and patience. Help me to address the issue of hurry in my life, and choose to take the time for things that are important to You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
10 Minute Time Outs for Busy Women by Grace Fox

Breathe by Kari Wyatt Kent

30 Days to Taming Your Stress by Deborah Smith Pegues

P31 Woman magazine

Application Steps:
Identify the most rushed part of your day. Brainstorm one or two changes you can make that will ease the stress, and allow you to slow down.

Reflections:
Why is it difficult to love others when we are in a hurry?

What are some causes for a life that is chronically hurried?

What are the benefits to yourself and others if you cultivate an unhurried life?

Power Verses:
John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”(NIV)

Mark 10:13-14, “People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.’” (NIV)

Ephesians 4:2, “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” (NIV)

© 2008 by Glynnis Whitwer. All rights reserved.


5 Comments:

Blogger desertmama said...

I sometimes wonder if there's not almost a "rush" to rushing around. I know that sounds crazy but I really struggle with this. I am always racing to get somewhere or to finish something and it always seems to be at the last minute. The adrenaline is flowing by that point. I guess I have something to pray about!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the reminder. My job requires me to be in a rush. I drive a school bus, and I'm always trying to get to the next pick-up on time. Perhaps a simple wave to the parents, a smile would at least assure the parents that I'm not a crazed bus driver, and that they can trust the safety of their child to me. LOL!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful devotion. God has spoken to me recently about waking up just 30 minutes earlier to start my day off unhurried and focused on Him. This was such a confirmation of that tug on my heart and I am blessed! Praise God!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ,I read this today and wondered if there has been a hidden camera crew following me!!I so needed to focus on this subject.....better planning and praying will help with this I know. Being a mommy of 3 girls ages 3,5,and7 and babysitting 3 more sometimes planning,......and praying fall by the wayside. Thankyou.

Blogger Buffy said...

Very good.

I am reminded of a book called "In Praise of Slow" by Carl Honore.

I had not recognised what you called "the unhurried life" in Jesus' ministry before, thank you for pointing that out for me.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits