The Power of Words
By Melissa Taylor

Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." James 3:10 (NIV)

My heart is broken today. Yesterday afternoon my son, Dylan, came home from school feeling so down and discouraged. Someone at school hurt his feelings with something they said. With just a few words, Dylan's day was ruined.

Dylan has a scar on his head from a surgery he had as a baby. He usually doesn't think much about it because he can't see it. Yesterday someone’s words reminded him that he wasn't perfect...that he had a visible flaw...that he was different. And it hurt his heart. I could not console my sweet child with hugs or home-baked cookies. I tried reasoning with him but all Dylan could hear were the lies in his head:

I'm not like everyone else.

What do people think about me?

They probably think I look funny.


They don't like me. I'm ugly.


I don't fit in. I'm sad about how I look.


I don't like how I look. I wish I didn't have this stupid scar. What good am I?


Oh, how I hate that words can sting – even when they aren't really intended to hurt us. Then, it's so easy to let the lying voice inside our head convince us that we are inferior. It broke my heart to hear Dylan cry and see his tears. He was broken and so was I. I would have given just about anything to make him feel better.

Fortunately, it was Skate Night at the roller rink. I told Dylan to call two of his best buds and we'd go skate the sadness away. And that's just what he did. I received loads of joy watching my sweet, sensitive son skate, laugh, and play with his friends. His class even won a pizza party for having the most kids there!

As I was tucking Dylan in bed last night, we talked about the power of words. Then we talked about the power of the Word, the Word of God. His Word says that in all things He works for the good of those who love Him, and Dylan does very much. The biggest blessing in Dylan's life is his faith. He believes in the power of God, and he believes God’s Word. In fact, even though he is only ten years old, his faith has had such an impact on others that his story is featured in Sharon Jaynes's book Your Scars Are Beautiful to God.

I tried to explain to him that he is terrific from head to toe in the eyes of the Lord. I told him that he is beautifully made, to which he replied, "I know I am Mom, but it still hurts."

I hear ya’ Dylan, and I completely understand. It hurts me too.

So today, I want to be careful with the words I use.

Dear Lord, help me to recognize the power of my words. I pray I would use my words to build up and not break down. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Visit Melissa's Blog, “I Am Beautiful”

Your Scars Are Beautiful to God by Sharon Jaynes

The Power of a Woman’s Words by Sharon Jaynes

Application Steps:
There may not be much you can do to control others, but you can control what you do. Today be intentional to use your words for good. Be an encourager of those around you.

Reflections:
What has someone said to me that has hurt my feelings?

Have I hurt someone's feelings lately?

How can I make a difference in someone's life by being an encourager?

Power Verses:
Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (NIV)

Psalm 139:14, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (NIV)

James 3:5, "Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." (NIV)

© 2008 by Melissa Taylor. All rights reserved.


4 Comments:

Blogger bbhutch said...

GOD is so great!!! I have been real criticial about a friend and her life situtations she's been going thur lately. Today I decided to give her words of encourgement how GOD works best when we are weakest to pray even if we are not on the right path with him to still trust in God. I told her I will listen without judgeing her if she want s to talk. This all made me feel at peace with myself....then I went online and read the daily devotin WOW!!! was I suprised but why? I know how Great GOD is and he is always there at the right time to give us directions if we listen
Thanks so much for these devotins

Blogger steph said...

What a wonderful testimony, bbhutch, thank you.

Blogger Donna said...

We do not realize how powerful and hurtful negative words can be to someone.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the way you talked about the power of words and the power of the Word. I thought about that all day.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits