The Faith of a Child
By Kathy Lay, She Speaks Graduate

“I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” Mark 10:15 (NIV)


On a recent gorgeous afternoon my husband was eager to get out and enjoy the woods. The kids are always up for a hike and rushed to put on long sleeves, pants, and rubber boots so they could tromp around with Dad. My young son, Skylar, was bound and determined that he’d be in full camouflage and he found his camo pants with no problem. But his camo shirt wasn’t where it was supposed to be. He checked his pants drawer just in case it had found its way into the wrong spot, but to no avail. Then he did what any self-respecting six-year-old would do… “Moooooom!”

I went through the same procedure he’d already been through and even checked his closet in case I’d been really ambitious the day I’d put the shirt away, but it was nowhere to be found. I heaved a big sigh and said, “Buddy, just pick a different shirt. I can’t find that one.”

That’s when my boy, laying comfortably on the floor as he waited for me to search, said, “Can I pray to God and Jesus first, and then we’ll look again?”

Okay, here’s the part of the story that I wish could be different. This is the point I wish I could write that my response was an enthusiastic, “Yes, Skylar! That’s exactly what we need to do!” But instead, I actually hesitated. I mean, I had just looked through those entire drawers and that shirt was not there. So I ended up softly saying, “Go ahead, Buddy,” and biting my tongue so that I didn’t add, “but don’t be disappointed if we still can’t find it.”

I watched as my little man of faith rolled to his side, folded his hands, and prayed silently with his precious eyes screwed shut. I said my own little prayer that went something like this: “God, this could be a faith-breaker for this little boy. Please help us find that shirt!” But I confess I offered it up while already trying to decide how to phrase the lesson when the shirt still wasn’t there.

I can imagine Jesus shaking his head, saying to me “Oh, ye of little faith,” and smiling because he was about to astound me. When Skylar said "Amen" the shirt drawer was opened for a third time and...Voila! There was the camo shirt! How had we missed it? Sure it was buried, but I’d dug through the whole drawer. I told Skylar with much ado that Jesus sure did hear his prayer and see his faith. But he simply put on his shirt and said, “Yep! Thanks, Jesus” very matter of factly, but happily. He was not surprised. He expected it all along. And I really hate that I didn’t.

Why are we like that sometimes? We know we are to walk by faith, not by sight. We know to ask in expectation, right? Today’s scripture illustrates exactly what happened: I didn’t approach the throne as a little child and that prevented me from entering into a higher realm in my relationship with God. Instead of Skylar’s, “Thanks, Jesus, I knew you’d come through” approach—which just added another solid layer to his faith—I was lagging behind, stupefied at what seemed a miracle. My faith increased too, but Skylar was in camaraderie mode and I was just kind of a dumbfounded observer.

I never want to lose my sense of awe, but I guess I want to move from being surprised when my prayers are answered to simply being appreciative and grateful. Just like a little child.

Dear Lord, Your Word tells us that the love You’ve lavished on us is so great and we are Your children. Help us come to You with the faith of a child. Help us to pray in full expectation of Your power being manifested in our lives, so that when we experience it, we marvel at it and appreciate it, but we’re not surprised by it. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
P31 Woman magazine

Intimacy with God: Your Daily Guide to Prayer, by Tara Furman

Prayers to My King, by Sheri Rose Shepherd

Application Steps:
Think back to times you’ve been utterly floored by God - thank and praise Him for His faithfulness.

Reflections:
What is your reaction when God answers prayers so immediately? Does your reaction seem to match where you are in your faith journey?

Power Verses:
Luke 10:21, “At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, ‘I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.’” (NIV)

Galatians 3:26, “For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus.” (NLT)

Psalm 116:6, “The Lord takes care of the childlike. I was brought down, and He saved me.” (NLV)


10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Isn't God amazing!?!?! He tells us that in order to enter Heaven we must "become like little children!" And then so often we miss the childlike faith opportunities along the way! Thansk for giving me goosebumps this morning! Love, tammy

Just yesterday, I was having trouble with posting on my blog, when I offered a similar prayer. I hesitated, pondering the value, but each day I'm learning to walk the talk, so I prayed. And after 8 unsuccesful tries at posting, my post posted! God is about mediating his majesty into our lives...whether something big, or in this case, something seemingly small and insignificant. I'm thankful that I can go to him...no matter the reason.

Thanks for sharing! I'm happy for your little boy. Afterall, a trip to the woods with Dad is always better when appropriately dressed for the adventure.

be blessed and peace~elaine

Blogger Unknown said...

The reality of prayer that has gone unanswered for a long time (years) is causing me to struggle with my faith in prayer. It is not a small thing but something that affects every part of my life. You felt this could be a faith-breaker for your son if the shirt was not found. Praise God he was not disappointed!!! I know God hears my prayer but I have constantly struggled with my faith since God has been silent for so long. How do we keep the faith when struggles continue and even become more difficult in spite of our prayers? Pam

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!! Your devotional is sooooo timely! This is just what I needed to hear this morning. I am going to reapproach the Throne of Grace with the child-like faith that God requires of us, leaving my requests at the foot of His throne - believing and knowing that God is ABLE!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I would like to respond in love to my sis Pam.
Pam, I have also been going through a horrendous time.
Things have been coming against me that if I were alone, I most definitely could not face.
But! I am not alone, and neither are you! The Lord Jesus promised us that he would never leave us nor forsake us and all throughout God's Word there are more sweet promises that tell us emphatically, OUR ALMIGHTY GOD NEVER FAILS....his sweet love and mercy endure forever.
This is where I stand.... firmly rooted and steadfast....trusting my Lord.
Furthermore, he daily loads me with benefits of which the most precious of all, is that he speaks to me, concerning my situations, through the power of his Holy Inspired Word.
I take him at his word because I choose to believe in his trustworthiness of my God, who never lies and proves his faithfulness in wonderful awesome ways.
Here is the words to a song I wrote...May it bless you....

Don't let life get you down
There's ups
There's downs
There's turn arounds

There's ups
There's downs
There's turn arounds

May the Lord work mighty miracles in your life.... and give you the desires of your heart....In Jesus name....Amen
God bless you sweetsis!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I would like to respond in love to my sis Pam.
Pam, I have also been going through a horrendous time.
Things have been coming against me that if I were alone, I most definitely could not face.
But! I am not alone, and neither are you! The Lord Jesus promised us that he would never leave us nor forsake us and all throughout God's Word there are more sweet promises that tell us emphatically, OUR ALMIGHTY GOD NEVER FAILS....his sweet love and mercy endure forever.
This is where I stand.... firmly rooted and steadfast....trusting my Lord.
Furthermore, he daily loads me with benefits of which the most precious of all, is that he speaks to me, concerning my situations, through the power of his Holy Inspired Word.
I take him at his word because I choose to believe in his trustworthiness of my God, who never lies and proves his faithfulness in wonderful awesome ways.
Here is the words to a song I wrote...May it bless you....

Don't let life get you down
There's ups
There's downs
There's turn arounds

There's ups
There's downs
There's turn arounds

May the Lord work mighty miracles in your life.... and give you the desires of your heart....In Jesus name....Amen
God bless you sweetsis!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam I'm really glad you asked that because I had the same question. You are not alone in your weariness and struggles.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy: Thanks for a great devotional!! Right before I read it, God was showing me that He missed my childlike faith that used to be present years ago. He reminded me of little Lucy from Chronicles of Narnia...Skylar sounds similar in his faith towards Jesus. Sooo many hard things have happened in my life over the years. I cried as I thought of how simple it used to be to approach God and believe that He wanted to answer my prayers. I asked Him for that simple faith once again. Then I read your devotion. What great confirmation for me. God hasn't changed; I have. I'm looking forward to being like Skylar and Lucy in my faith once again...I think God is too. *.*

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam,
Just hang in there. Continue to read your bible and pray and seek Him with all your heart. Lean on Him and trust that He is faithful, regarless of how things look. And look for His hand at work. Sometimes it is the little things that we miss, that will build our faith. Keep a prayer journal so you can remember and begin to see Him at work. Write down the small prayers too. I'll be praying for you.
Sarah

Blogger The Poor Husband said...

I love the faith of a child! I think there is so much we can learn from their simple trusting unshakeable faith in our God. For an inspiring story of a child’s faith, a special prayer, and a surprise answer to that prayer, check out this link about my daughter. http://lifewithrachael.blogspot.com/2009/08/faith-of-child.html.
Thanks!
The Poor Husband

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits