Persistent Friendship
By Melissa Taylor

“And now may the Lord show kindness and truth to you. I also will repay you this kindness, because you have done this thing.” 2 Samuel 2:6 (NKJV)

Donna and I grew up together. We weren’t each other’s closest friend, but we were always friends. I knew if I needed someone, she would be there. She was so kind to me but was never afraid to tell me the truth…even when it hurt. She was fun, caring, accepting, forgiving, non-judgmental, and honest. There aren’t many friends like that.

Over the years, we went our separate ways. We both got married, had children and life got busy. Our paths didn’t cross often, even though we lived in the same city. When we ran into one another unexpectedly, we’d say, “We have GOT to get together and catch up!” Then we never would. I missed her and began to feel guilty for not pursuing our friendship more. I remember a mutual friend of ours saying, “I can’t believe you both live in Charlotte and never see each other. You have no excuse!”

One day during my quiet time, I read a verse that made me think of Donna. It was 2 Samuel 2:6. I don’t have an explanation for her coming to my mind except that it had to be from God, so I prayed that verse for her. “Lord please show your kindness and truth to Donna and I will show her kindness and truth too, because she has shown it to me many times.” I didn’t know why, but I knew I had to get in touch with her.

Contacting her was difficult. I called. I emailed. Weeks went by and I heard nothing. I made sure that I left all of my contact information and a nice message. Still, nothing from Donna. For over a month, I called and left messages. I began to get discouraged. Was she mad at me? Then I got a little worried. What if something has happened to her? I was not going to give up. My last call to her was one of desperation. I left a message saying, “Donna, this is Melissa. I have been trying to contact you, but you won’t return my calls or emails. If you don’t want to talk to me or you are mad, that’s okay. Just call me and let me know that you are alive. I’m worried about you. Please call!” She called me back.

That was a year ago. It was such a blessing that we reconnected. Donna was going through hard times. I was about to go through hard times as well. God knew that Donna needed a friend close by who could understand and be there for her. He also knew I was about to go through one of the roughest trials of my life. It was perfect timing. Another blessing that came out of our reconnection is that our daughters became close friends. They had never met until now and they are crazy about each other.

I’m glad I was a persistent friend, persisting in my attempts to find Donna. I was not giving up because I considered our relationship valuable enough to pursue. If I had given up after the first call, or second or third, we would still be apart. I hate to even think about going through this past year without her. Persistence is often necessary in obtaining a blessing.

Have you ever thought about how persistent God is with us? How many times have I wandered off or put someone or something else above Him, yet He never left me. The Lord considers us valuable enough to pursue, and He wants us to “call back” and communicate so the relationship can flourish and grow.

God is pursuing a friendship with you right now. He offers you kindness, truth, forgiveness, acceptance, unconditional love, and loyalty. He’s the best friend you could ever have. He will never give up on you because He is a persistent Friend.

Dear Lord, When others walked out, You never did. When I walked away, You waited for me to come back. Thank you for being my persistent Friend. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Jesus?

Visit Melissa’s Blog

His Princess, Love Letters from Your King by Sherri Rose Shephard

Intimacy with God: Daily Prayer Journal by Tara Furman

Application Steps:
Make plans to reconnect and spend time with someone you haven't seen in a while. If you can’t reach them at first, don’t give up. Be persistent.

Reflections:
Has someone tried to be a persistent friend to you? Have you called them back?

Is there someone God has placed on your heart to contact?

How is your friendship with God? Are you spending time with your Friend Jesus?

Power Verses:

Proverbs 17:17, “A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.” (NLT)

Proverbs 18:24, “Some friends don't help, but a true friend is closer than your own family.” (CEV)

Exodus 33:11a, “So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.” (NKJV)


6 Comments:

Blogger Shirley Mary said...

Really enjoyed devotional this morning. The thought that really stood out to me was:
Persistance is often necessary in obtaining a blessing.
I must remember that!

Blogger Jodie Wolfe said...

Thanks for the sweet reminder to let our friends know how much we appreciate them. Thanks for being my friend Melissa!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just thought you might like this video because of the subject matching your blog! Have a great day! http://www.famecast.com/contest/stage_top10.php?stage_id=47&round_id=222&artist_id=1648

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The devotional this morning couldn't have been better timed. I have a girlfriend in Salisbury that is going through a tough time, we have been communicating through emails and I know she needs someone. She has been on my heart and in my prayers for a long time now but I haven't made the time to see her. She lives about 30 minutes from me. No excuses. I just haven't made time. Just yesterday, I was going through my normal routine and a very strong sense about me that wouldn't go away gave me the urge that I at least need to go and have coffee with her to talk -- I was going to Salisbury over the weekend anyway to return a dress. God sure has a way of working on me. I invited her for coffee and forwarded her this devotion. God is so good!

Blogger MelissaTaylor.org said...

I have been so blessed by the comments left as a response to my devotion. Friendship is so dear to my heart. It has been wonderful for me to hear and read (through this blog, my personal blog, and email) how many of the readers have chosen to reach out to a friend after reading the devotion. I praise God for that and thank Him for working in all of our lives!

As timing would have it, I'm leaving today with my friend who I wrote about, on a little roadtrip. It's us and one other freind and we are so excited to be getting away!

Blessings and thanks again for your sweet comments!

Melissa

Blogger Lindsay said...

This devotional reminded me of a book that I read in college as a Bible study group. The book was called Lover of My Soul. It helped me remember that God chose us. That was the first thing that popped into my head this morning after reading this.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits