More Than Cookies
By Zoë Elmore

“And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.” Matthew 10:42 (NIV)

While our youngest son was in high school he started a band that practiced in our basement twice a week for three years. I spent those late afternoons baking cookie dough from five pound tubs and pouring gallons of milk for hungry teenagers (are there any other kind?). Our home was quickly transformed into the gathering place, and I knew I needed to take this opportunity to offer these teens more than just a sugar high. Soon I became known as “the band mom” because if you offer food, they will come; and if you love them they will return.

At the end of practice a few band members and “fans” would often come upstairs for one more hot cookie. As I poured the milk, they’d pour out their problems or concerns over family or friends. Many days I felt like our home was an emergency room for broken hearts, broken dreams, and broken teens. As the Lord provided opportunities to pray for and with these hurting teenagers, I was amazed at His loving grace in these young lives.

One afternoon my son mentioned that the newest member of the band would be arriving for rehearsal and asked me to send him down to the basement. When the doorbell rang, I peeked out and saw all the tattoos and body piercings. They did give me pause before opening the door but I heard the Lord whisper to my heart, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” The young man entered and politely introduced himself; he shook my hand, thanked me for hosting the rehearsal, and then made his way to the basement. When band practice ended and the teens began to scatter; our son and his “colorful” new band-mate came into the kitchen to polish off the remaining cookies.

When the last crumb had been consumed the young man made an interesting request. “Mrs. Elmore, could I have a hug before I leave today?”

“Of course” I answered and granted his request.

“That was wonderful.” he said. He took a breath and then quietly whispered, “My mom abandoned us several years ago and I haven’t been hugged by a mom in such a long time.”

My heart sank and it was all I could do not to let this young man see my tears.

From that day forward I made sure I was available for hugs, and it wasn’t long before my husband Tom and I became a sounding board and a safe place for this young man to share his heart . There were times when he would pop in unannounced for cookies and conversation. Throughout the next two years there were opportunities to pray with him and to share the gospel. Although Tom and I never heard this young man profess a personal relationship with Christ, we know we fed more than his physical hunger as we offered him spiritual food from God’s word.

In thinking back on my tenure as “the band mom,” I’m reminded to pray for all those hungry teens that came and went from our home. I pray they would become or remain hungry for the spiritual truths held in God’s word. I pray for the Lord to put godly men and women in their pathways that would feed their spirits. And I pray that my heart would remain sensitive to the fact that I should offer everyone in our home spiritual as well as physical hospitality.

You may not be the mother of a teenage band member, but I’m guessing there are people in your life that you could be a “mom” to. I want to encourage you to be available for some cookies and conversation, and to offer them both physical and spiritual hospitality.

Dear Lord, help me to be a woman of physical and spiritual hospitality. Show me ways to be available to my children’s friends and to everyone you bring to into our home. Instruct me on making You known through grace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Jesus?

P31 Woman magazine

Visit Zoe Elmore’s blog

A Life that Says Welcome by Karen Ehman

Application Steps:
If the Lord is asking you to rethink your idea of hospitality; will you trust and obey or make the excuse that hospitality is not your gift.

Reflections:
How can you prepare your heart and your home to be a spiritual hostess?

Do you spend more time cleaning and decorating your home, or being spiritually available to those who enter your home?

Power Verses:
2 Thessalonians 3:4, “… May the Master take you by the hand and lead you along the path of God's love and Christ's endurance.” (MSG)

Acts 10:4, “Cornelius stared at him in fear. ‘What is it Lord?’ he asked. The angel answered, ‘Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.” (NIV)


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! I have boys, one a teen, and I try to make our home (and car) a comfortable place, and to keep the conversation going. Being there for your son and friends meant so much to them.

Blogger Chapel Chick said...

Thank you for reminding us that even small gestures of love make a lasting impression on young hearts. Maybe even change a life without our knowledge.

Blogger Zoe said...

Thanks for your coments friends,

Please visit my blog and read the stories others are sharing.
Zoe

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You where so lucky to have that oppertunity there is a whole lot of hurting teens. And we need more parents who will not judge a book by its cover keep on listening to the lord its such a beutiful thing.

Blogger Colleen Clapper said...

I too have a son in a band and am familiar with doing "cookies and milk" :).

I have worked with youth for 22 years and am even on facebook counseling and mentoring many of them. Crisis calls are 3x more than I have ever received and fellow youth leaders are experiencing the same thing. There is such a need for hugs!

Anyway, this past January, I felt in prayer that God wanted me to start a youth prayer meeting. The same day I received a call from a young man asking if they could start a prayer meeting at our home! These are youth from different churches and backgrounds in the area. They are wanting to meet every Saturday to pray and especially lift up their generation to Him!

It is such a blessing to watch as they continue to grow in Him and fight on their knees for their peers!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This devo is so appropriate for me because tomorrow night is when I work with the teens in my church. I usually pray for them today. This was very helpful. Lord, please help me not to be turned off by tatoos and piercings, help me to see the jewel that is hidden there.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits