They Will See God
By Lysa TerKeurst

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." Matthew 5:8 (NIV)

There is something amazing that happens to a soul when quiet majesty is observed.

Recently I rode to the top of Straton Mountain. When I got off the gondola and took in the scene around me, my soul quickened at the obvious hand of God. It was amazing to see some of God's most glorious handiwork. Every tree, the vast blue sky, the swirled mix of sunshine and clouds, the rise of the mountain, and the slope down to the valley all placed by the hand of God.

As I took in the scene I imagined God asking, "Who will notice Me in all of this today? Who will stop for just a moment and see me? Who will let their soul linger ever so slightly and simply utter an acknowledgement of Me?"

Oh God, the rocks surely do cry out great evidence of You.

May I do the same.

And not just on days when I am on vacation.

Everyday God is there. Everyday we have an opportunity to notice and acknowledge, and see and rejoice. Even when the world is crazy around me, I can still make the choice to see God.

Matthew 5:8 says, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."

It doesn't say, "blessed is the perfect person."

It doesn't say, "blessed is the woman who has perfect Biblical knowledge."

It doesn't say, "blessed is the one who never misplaces library books."

It doesn't say, "blessed is the mom who never messes up with her kids."

Nope. It says blessed is that woman whose heart is pure. In other words, "blessed is that woman who lives in expectation of seeing God- who looks for and acknowledges Him- whose greatest desire is to see God--- for she certainly will."

So whether your scenery today consists of beautiful mountains or mountains of laundry – look for Him – make the choice to acknowledge Him. Choose to see Him, and then you will.

Dear Lord, help me to pause today and make the choice to see You, acknowledge You, thank You, and represent You well. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Jesus?

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, by Lysa TerKeurst

Visit Lysa’s blog

Listen to today P31 radio show

Application Steps:
In your journal, write about God’s obvious presence in your life right now. Yes, it is so easy to see and focus on the bad stuff. But there’s plenty of good too. So, let’s make the choice to acknowledge and be thankful for the good today.

Reflections:
I look up and this is what I see…________________
I look left and this is what I see…___________________
I look right and this is what I see…____________________
I look down and this is what I see…____________________

I choose thankfulness over grumbling and I will see You Lord.

Power Verses:
Psalm 84:12, “O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you.” (NIV)

John 10:10, “The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.” (NLT)

Proverbs 3:6, “Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.” (NLT)


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how this ties in really well with the posting of "Being a Patient Woman" on January 22nd!! I've been praticing the suggestions from that posting, and I have noticed when being patient I have had more time to reflect upon things the Lord has been showing me within my own character that may need changing or that are a strength in Him.

It has been raining heavily here in Florida for the past couple of weeks, and my sons are becoming frustrated with not being able to go outsise to play. In their frustration they take it out on each other and it gets on my nerves to hear them bickering all the time. I have had to ask for patience so many times these past two weeks it's hard to keep in mind the blessing of the rain. But as I pray for patience in handling my sons I have found little things don't turn my world upside down on a whim. And in that that's where I find God's peace.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lysa! I read today's devotion after coming back from an OB appointment, where they did an ultrasound on our baby! I am 10 weeks pregnant. On the way home, I was just totally amazed with GOD and this little miracle inside of me. I just gazed at the pictures that were printed out for me in amazement. I am in awe of GOD when I see an unborn child and to think HE created such a wonder. GOD is so good. We have a beautiful 4 year old girl and had a hard time getting pregnant with her and with this one also. But GOD is SO faithful all the time and answered our long awaited prayers! I do SO see GOD through our tiny baby. I just thing that it was a GOD thing that I was looking with wonder at our ultrasound and then I read today's devotion about looking for GOD in everyday things! Thank you SO much for that devotion. It just drove home the need to look for GOD every day in everything in our lives. GOD Bless!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This devotional is a great comfort to me. I t helped me to really focus on the goodness of our God. Yesterday I was a wreck, I am grieving for a dear friend who is dying of cancer and I am wondering why God doesn't heal her. But today, I am confident that either way, God knows what He is doing and will do the best thing for all. I am so glad that God is who He says He is.

Blogger Erran Gilchrist said...

I look around me and see a beautiful home, in which we're blessed to live. My God-given husband installed the lighting above my head and hung the blinds to my left. God provided the refrigerator to my right (with food inside) and my strong legs below!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now my heart is anything but pure!!!How do I stop getting so angry at my husband and start seeing the good things around me- Boy would that ever be wondeful-no matter what was said or done-my anger would not flair up inside of me and the thoughts would not overwhelm me. How wonderful would that be-I know God is good and He has done great things for others. How can I get in on all the great blessings I hear others tell about. I am sure they are out there-just out of my reach. Today was not a good day-Does anger just go away - or is there a secret to getting control of it??????????????

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you a lot, this was wonderful encouragement!
I'm a new mom, been married for almost 3 years. At times it has been very difficult and every time I find myself in such situation I ask why? Honestly, I choose to make things difficult and that is my answer.
Every time I begin to feel this way, is when I have neglected my time with our Heavenly Father and have allowed other things to get in the way! But when I acknowledge Him and I find myself in complete devotion to Him things just go right! I have a better attitude, things are getting done around the house, fellowship with my husband is great and my attitude towards my 9 month old daughter is great as well!
It is so crucial for us to always keep our eyes on Him.
Like you said, we can see Him even in piles of laundry because He's omnipresent. And what a comfort it should be for us to know that we can seek Him anytime and be willing to hear Him through His word and to apply it daily!
Thanks again and God bless you!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits