Becoming a Patient Woman
By Rachel Olsen

“We also pray that you will be strengthened with his glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need.” Colossians 1:11 (NLT)


In a heart that values instant gratification like mine does, patience seems hard to come by.

In the last several weeks I’ve raced through a yellow light because I didn’t want to wait at a red light. I’ve looked up my symptoms on the internet because I didn’t want to sit in a doctor’s waiting room. I’ve paid extra for an item off the internet because I didn’t want to stand in line at the store. I’ve also eaten dessert first, because I didn’t want to wait until it was “time” for dessert. (I think anytime is a good time for dessert!) Though I can’t recall a specific instance, odds are high that I lost my patience at some point and fussed at my kids.

We want stuff and we want it now. We want results and we want them now. Yet the Bible repeatedly says that patience should be a way of life for followers of Christ.

God is love and patience is part of His character. For you and I to love like God loves, patience will be required (1 Corinthians 13:4-7). Loving as God loves is the ultimate goal as we walk through this life seeking to please God and become like Him.

Patience could be defined as the ability to endure graciously. We all have to deal at times with people or circumstances that try our composure – an ungrateful child, an inattentive waitress, a slow moving line at the cash register, a spouse taking our hard work around the house for granted. How graciously do we behave in these circumstances?

The Bible says God will be faithful to complete the good works He began in us (Philippians 1:6). That implies there’s going to be some “in the meantime” when we’re all less than perfect and less than easy to love. This is where patience comes in. The apostle Paul instructs us to “walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Eph.4:1-3).

We also have to exercise patience towards God as we wait for His full plan to unfold. At times we must wait for answers to prayers, for deliverance, for provision, or for Him to dispense justice or reveal His will. We really have no choice but to wait in these circumstances, but a woman developing patience will endure the wait graciously. It helps to remember how very patient God has to be with us on a daily basis (1 Timothy 1:16, 2 Peter 3:8-9).

Exercising patience isn’t just an exercise of the human will. The kind of patience Paul is talking about is a fruit of the Spirit developed in a woman’s soul in tandem with God. It’s a virtue that grows from her confidence in the sovereignty of God and His ability to bring all things to completion, in His timing, in a way that benefits His children and glorifies Him.

This patience thing may take some time to develop, but I’ve decided to graciously endure the process. I started today by stopping and waiting at a yellow light I’m certain I could’ve made it through safely. As I sat at the intersection, I thought about God and about developing patience. The light turned green a mere minute later, and I went on my way with a smile on my face, happy to be a woman who is embracing patience … even if in a very small way.

Dear Lord, thank You for being so very patient with me. Help me to develop patience, and display that quality for Your glory. In Jesus’ Name, Amen


We apologize our shopping cart has been down during our transition to our new website and thank you for our patience! This week’s links are now connected to an active resource area. If we can aid you further in the ordering process, please don’t hesitate to contact us at resources@proverbs31.org.

Resources:
30 Days to Taming your Tongue, by Deborah Smith Pegues

Visit Rachel’s blog: “My Life in Chapter & Verse

God’s Purpose for Every Woman: P31 Devotional, by Lysa TerKeurst and Rachel Olsen General Editors

Application Steps:
Pray for patience daily.

Keep the word “patience” in the forefront of your mind today and look for opportunities to be more patient.

Reflections:
Who in my life can benefit from me extending them more patience?

How would becoming more patient change my day, my outlook, my health, or my relationships?

Is my patience stronger than my temper? Or stronger than my longings?

Power Verses:
Proverbs 25:15, “Patience can persuade a prince, and soft speech can crush strong opposition.” (NLT)

Ecclesiastes 7:8, “Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.” (NLT)

Romans 15:5, “May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other – each with the attitude of Christ Jesus toward the other.” (NLT)


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. Patience for God's plan to be unveiled. It is a painful process, but I am trying to be patient and see what he has planned.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love God's timing. I am strained at work, at home and in my current ministry, I feel like patience is not an option. God's timing is perfect, I had to sit on my hands and pray for patience and focus this morning before my devotional time and God delivered you message to me. Our God is an awesome God and I love it when he reminds me how truly in control he is of my life and all my beautiful minstries that He allows me to be involoved in. God is good all the time!

Dawn- Odessa, TX

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! We call that a God stop in our house. We have made it something fun for the kids too. It is a great opportunity to just take those 60 seconds in your day and Thank Him. Enjoy those God stops (yellow and red lights)ladies!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny! This one must have been meant for me today also, I logged on speedily as I could to get a quick bite of 'bread' and get on with what has been a spinning of wheels day....ahhhh then it seemed that when I hit the button to read the devotion,,,,the computer stalled and it took much longer to load then normal, just as I was getting about to abort the command and close out, the topic popped up!.(Patience)....LOVE IT!
Thank you Lord, for your timely work through this online ministry, and continue to shape me with your ways and the humor you love to use on me like sand paper to smooth me more to your image!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was stuck in traffic this morning with everyone trying to cut you off from both sideds. it was very frustrating. so to come into my off and log on to your web site and see the words becoming a patient woman. I realized God was definitly talking to me. it's amazing how he works. And believe me he has to put things out there for me. In big letters so i don't just past it by. thank you

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in a trial currently in which I've reached peace in knowing that part of what I am learning here is patience. Thank you for the good advice. Thank you for sharing His words. I also work in crisis pregnancy situations and was able to share your verse with a young woman and she admitted it fit perfectly. Thank you, thank you, and God bless! ~em

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I needed these thoughts to face today's totally impatient world out there. The comments are helpful to me too. I never thought of making a stop at a stoplight about God. Great idea!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Love the LORD, because He first Loved me, and He has been so very patient with me. He knows just what I need. To God Be All The Glory! I am becoming a patient Woman of God, the process is humbling as well as painful, but I will press my way through.
Thank you Proverbs 31 Ministry for allowing God to use you. Amen

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been praying for this for too long, and today i made up my mind to check it out on internet, how i will have that virtue in my life.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been praying for one particular prayer point but have not gotten any answer phiscally, brethren please tell me what to do? i need people to assist me and ask god to have mercy on me and grant me my heart desire. my spirit is getting weak?

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits