Answering God’s Call to be Home
Glynnis Whitwer

Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.” Psalm 127:1 (NIV)

From the time I was a little girl, I envisioned myself as a career woman. It wasn’t that my mother modeled this at home; she waited until I was in high school to work outside the home. I suspect it was a cultural norm. Whatever the reason, step-by-step, I progressed towards a full-time career.

Although I reduced my hours when my children were small, that was a temporary delay in my plan to excel professionally. You see, I was enamored of the business-woman persona – leather organizers, sleek business suits and heels that click when you walk down a hall. Little did I know that God’s plan for me actually involved t-shirts, shorts and sandals that flap when I walk into my kitchen.

Nine years ago, God redirected my career goals and called me to work at home. God wasn’t subtle in this “call,” which I would actually call a “shout.” It seems I had ignored His gentle nudging and promptings to leave the traditional workplace for years. So, faced with a self-driven woman (that would be me), God picked up my family and moved us 2000 miles away from everything I knew, in order to make His will clear.

A traditional career is a wonderful thing, if God has called you to it. But that’s the key – knowing where God is calling you and being obedient to that calling. God was clearly calling me to work at home. He called me to re-examine my priorities and live a life that reflected His plans, not mine.

Psalm 127:1 warns against making plans without the Lord’s approval: “Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.” I had gotten my contractor’s license, designed the plans and construction was underway. Unfortunately, God was only a subcontractor in my agenda. Thankfully, I listened when the Lord spoke loudly and I relinquished control.

Every day, God calls women to transition from the workplace and come home. We all have different reasons. Some women want to be more involved with their children, volunteer more, or start a home-based business.

Whatever your reason, if God is calling you home, then I encourage you to be obedient. It might not be easy, but it is possible with God’s help. When you hand over control of your building project, you will find a life filled with blessings beyond your imagination.

Heavenly Father, I praise You for your goodness and faithfulness. I ask forgiveness for seeking my own way in this world, and building my own house. I give You control of my life and ask You to reveal Your will to me. Please give me wisdom and resolve to answer Your call on my life. In Jesus name, Amen.

Related Resources:
work@home: a Practical Guide for Women Who Want to Work From Home by Glynnis Whitwer

Living Life on Purpose by Lysa TerKeurst

A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson

Application Steps:
Ask the Lord to confirm His will for your work, or to reveal His plan if it’s different from your current situation.

Look at your calendar. Do your time commitments regarding family, work, volunteering and church reflect your priorities? If they don’t, ask the Lord to direct changes that might need to be made.

Reflections:
What happens over time when you make a commitment that isn’t in God’s will for you?

Psalm 127:1 says, “Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.” What have you “built” without the Lord’s approval?

This Psalm describes labors who work in vain. This implies that their work has no satisfactory outcome. Have you experienced laboring in vain? Describe.

Power Verses:
Proverbs 16:3 “Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established.” (NAS)

Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” (NIV)

Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” (NAS)

Labels: , , ,



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He called me "home" 6 years ago. our question was "how can we make it on 1 income with a child and bills to pay?" i quit a job i really enjoyed because we felt led. scary, but we put our trust in Him. let me tell you some of the blessings we have received from our obedience. we were able to spend more time with family. you see, my husbands grandmother died shortly after i quit. we were able to go see her the day before she passed away. my mom died a few months after that but thanks to Him, we were able to go visit her more. we now have 3 more children and homeschool still on one income. thankfully our house and vehicles are paid for (they werent when i quit). we do tithe. we have what we need, not all that we think we want, but He knows better than me. my relationship with Our Father is better, our marriage is a lot stronger. i cant wait to see what He does next. my advice, pray together to seek His will earnestly. sometimes the answer is "wait", and sometimes it is "now" and sometimes the answer is "no". listen. God will give you both the same answer in His time. God bless you all. your sister in Christ

Blogger Unknown said...

I worked until the day before my first daughter was born. I was in a management training program that month and working full time. I fully intended to go straight back to work after my maternity leave. I was looking for a nanny share and everything. My first call home came when my newborn was taken directly to the NICU with breathing issues. She had tubes everywhere and was assisted by a breathing machine. We asked the doctor what we could do she said “Pray with me.” And we did. Seven days later she was breathing on her own, breast feeding and able to come home. That day the cherry blossoms were in full bloom in DC, a beautiful day. Six weeks later my day scheduled to come back to work I went in and said I can’t leave her with any one yet. My company flexibly allowed me to stay home another 9 months at which point my project ended and I was laid off. I was also happily pregnant with number 2. All in His plan right ;-). So I stayed home until I felt I was ready to go back when the 2nd was 9 months old. A new day care center opened in my husband’s building with spots for both of the girls, a very difficult find in the metro DC area. I took a position with the government which ended up being very different from my previous role as a software engineer. I eventually found a software engineering position with my favorite boss on a similar project which I had been laid off. Wow I was finally back where I wanted to be. I was there for 4 and ½ months when the Lord called me home again on July 2, 2007. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. I know oh my goodness! Prayer was at the top of our commitments. And on our knees she (we) has (have) been in remission since the third week of induction chemo-therapy. She is my strength and a bright shining light for the Lord. Since the first day in the doctors’ office when I cried in front of her and she told me everything was going to be all right. We have been able to have Faith in God, his healing power and the gifts of love and support he has provided. My company has been outstanding! I am on a leave of absence. They have patiently allowed me to set my schedule of working or not working one or two months at a time. The treatment plan is about 2 and ½ years for girls. My friends jokingly call me a “rocket scientist.” I work as a software engineer for a satellite system. I miss that intellectual stimulation. But I am learning a lot about Faith, dependence on the Lord, reading and math for kindergarteners and cellular biology. I am not sure how long I will stay on this leave of absence. I trust in the Lord. He will let me know when it is time to go back.

Blogger Joyce said...

I whole heartly agree with you. My call is in another direction. I am to go out of the home to work, but I have not receive the whole answere yet. My children are grown and out of the house so God is leading me in a direction that I know will be what He wants and what I will enjoy as long as I do what He wants me to do.

Blogger Becca said...

I read this and related a lot to my own history including the brutal awakening to go home. It was all a nice walk down memory lane until I got to:
Application Steps:
Ask the Lord to confirm His will for your work, or to reveal His plan if it’s different from your current situation.


Just today God revealed a possible new plan which I feel led to pursue. I know if this is a path God wants me to take, the way will be smoothed for me.

Blogger KnottyAuthor said...

God has called me to come home twice.The first time I was home for 3 years.The initial plan was 1 year. My second son was born and my first son was 3. I enjoyed that; but, we had family goals that my husband wanted some support on. I enjoyed it. I am also very driven and goal oriented and was taking that strengh out on my family, and making them submit to it. That wasn't good, so hubby encouraged me to go out. We met out goals-a home we puchased together/schools as boys were matriculating into the schools system etc. AND got out of debt with a nest egg above 20k via Dave Ramsey's record. I'm not one to work just to maintain a standard of living. Outside of the basic needs of my children, I could care less. This Jan the Lord moved my hubby almost 3hours away(some of you may remember my posts of desperation earlier this year). We ALL relocated this summer, and finally sold our home in this god awful market as we rent one in a new area-with good schools.Praise God the house sold but guess how much we needed to pay the realtor fees and closing costs? Yep, about 20k. So, between renters deposits etc..we had exact what we needed and still a cushion of savings so I didnt hyperventilate too badly. The only way I calm myself for paying out all that money was focusing on GOD'S PLAN for my money. He must of seen this coming and in the spirit called us to save-because many tried to cajole us into investments that would have tied up our money-but in the spirit-we felt the need to keep it liquid in an MMA. I've been unemployed since the relocation, struggling again because of some financial needs. Praise God we're out of debt! But, some of money was financed(which I hate)Just because I HAVE to have a savings or I'm 2 nervous.And, we are in the market for a home.I could not be content, right now, because so much is on my husband. I rc'd a job offer 2 days ago! But I go into the workplace, again, with a plan. I also plan to get OUT with a plan. I have awesome dreams and goals I'm working on and it is ALL to the glory of his kingdom. I continue to learn how to be content in each and every situation. I look fwd to the calls as I map my plan with new resources to pool!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this devotional and all the sharing which is very helpful. I think that God wants me home now and I am happy with that. My husband has always wanted me to work but recently said if I don't want to then that is fine with him so I feel that God want s me here to build my relationship with my husband which has not been a good one but is getting better since we are empty-nesters now.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being able to stay at home and start a family is my dream and my hearts cry. But it is a step of faith. How can we live on one income. The idea of working from home is very appealing to me. But I have no idea what to do or where to start. Where do I find a company that will allow me to stay at home?

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits