No More Shame
Lysa TerKeurst

"I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame." Psalm 34:4-5 (NIV)

I still remember the outdated furniture and stale coldness of the room. Women from all walks of life were there. Our paths had crossed at this awful place, a place where life was exchanged for death. We would now share an unmentionable secret.

No one let her eyes meet another's. Though medical fluorescents brightly lit the room, the heavy darkness in my soul made true vision nearly impossible. What had brought me to this place?

Certainly, I had people to blame. There was the man who sexually abused me in childhood. I could blame my biological father. Maybe if he had given me the love and acceptance I so desperately longed for, I would not have come to this place. I could blame God. Why had a loving God let such terrible things happen to me?

Tears filled my eyes and deep sobs poured from my soul in that cold room. I knew I could not blame anyone but myself. I'd walked into this place. I'd signed the papers. I'd allowed my baby to be aborted.

I can just imagine Satan hissing as he writes his name across the victim's heart: Shame. I have felt shame's pain - a deep, constant throbbing of regret from the past mixed with dread of the future.

Let's look at when shame made its debut. Genesis 2:25 says, "The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame." Then Satan slithered onto the scene to deceive Eve. When Eve fell into sin and took Adam with her, their reaction was to hide and cover up their mistake.

That’s exactly what I did for so many painful years. But keeping my secret in the darkness allowed Satan use it against me. He is the father of darkness and the author of shame. He would constantly whisper that I was worthless and that if anyone ever found out about my secret they would condemn me.

But that is a lie from the pit of hell. When I finally brought my sin out into the light, God met me there with grace, forgiveness, and healing. Then he gave me the courage to let Him take my shame and use it for His good. I can say without hesitation the thing that has brought me the most healing has been to share my story with other women. Now that I have seen God touching and healing others through my testimony, the shame has gone and freedom has come.

Dear Lord, I thank You for seeing me as pure, clean and spotless and without blemish. You alone have the power to heal those parts of me that I have buried and tried to hide for so long. May Your grace be enough for me today as I trust You to work all things for Your good. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Who Holds the Key to Your Heart? by Lysa TerKeurst

Listen to Today’s Radio Show

Do you know Him?

Lysa’s blog

Application Steps:
Write down and meditate on these three truths:1. By His wounds, I am healed.

2. God never forgets His promises. When He says that nothing I have ever done could make Him stop loving me, it is absolute truth. His love for me cannot be shaken.

3. Jesus died of a broken heart, so that I don't have to. He thought of me on that cross, and because of His sacrifice, I am forgiven and set free.

Reflections:
My Bible dictionary defines shame as the following: “disgrace, humiliation, often at hands of an enemy.”

We have an enemy in this world who leads us into temptation. Ultimately, if temptation overtakes us then we fall into sin which brings on a sense of shame. The feelings of guilt, disgrace, and humiliation that we experience as a result of shame can bind us and paralyze our relationship with God.

Remember that Jesus Christ defeated Satan, with the cross. Because of that, we don’t have to be held captive to shame at the hands of our enemy any longer.

Power Verses:
Psalm 118:5, “In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free.” (NIV)

Matthew 10:26, “There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.” (NIV)

1 John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (NIV)

Revelation 3:18, “I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich, and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.” (NIV)

Labels: , ,



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your messages are always so encouraging and helpful - I can't start my day without them. However, today's message really spoke to my heart. I truly came to the Lord through my abortion.

The shame and guilt almost consumed me. But through His words and His love I finally received the peace that only He can provide. I KNOW my redeemer lives.

Blessings to you and thank you for your daily messages.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I praise God for His healing power in each of our lives. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story! This topic is very dear to my heart. I have been an on-line counselor now for over 5 years, helping girls and women in unwanted/crisis pregnancies: http://www.voy.com/70175/ (that's me, Tracey with my family at the top right of the page). We also help women who come to us too late and broken--either way, we accept them with arms open and words of encouragement! We try and find resources for these women and offer them as much advice as we can give as well as help and assistance! I thank you for posting your personal story. So many women live in shame and guilt after and an abortion and just long for forgiveness and peace! May God bless you in your ministries! I have enjoyed your daily devotions for well over a year now and have recommended your site to so many others!!!
God bless,
Tracey

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Lysa for sharing this with everyone. It's such a powerful testimony that all I can say is Wow!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I have been through a similar situation and it took me years to find the forgiveness I longed for. Now I know, that through God's grace, I am healed and forgiven. Thanks again for sharing that with us. May God's blessings shine upon you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Lysa for sharing your testimony. I went through the experience of an abortion in my youth. I carried the guilty for a long time. Now I know Jesus Christ came so that the likes of me can be saved. I also know that through God's great grace I am healed and forgiven. Thank you Heavenly father for showing your mercy, and love for me.

May God bless you.

Blogger Unknown said...

May God richly bless you for sharing your testimony. I know there are many who need to know that God is still in the "restoration" business.
Romans 8:1 tells us, There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!

Thank you Father...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you GOD you alone are beautiful! I am so thank ful for the mess. iread today ,having lived in shame for many reasons,and years i am blessed to say God has truly been teaching me to see myself as he does.HE has been teaching me about how freeing and AWESOME it is to love HIM above all.thank you so much for sharing it really touched my heart!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits