The Pineapple Principle
Lysa TerKeurst

With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God. Mark 10:27 (NIV)

Let’s face it; a pineapple is only sweet to eat if you know how to get inside it! For years I didn’t have a clue about how to cut up a pineapple. I would walk by the produce aisle looking at the fresh pineapples with such longing. I wanted what was inside it; I just didn’t know how to get beneath its tough outer skin. I had visions of me slicing and dicing, dripping with sticky juice and so completely mangling the fruit that not even the dog would be tempted to partake.

But one day I watched a friend accomplish what I thought impossible. She didn’t miss a beat as she sliced and diced a pineapple with ease. First she cut off the top and then the bottom. Next, she sliced the cylinder into four equal pieces. She then slid the knife along the back edge to cut off the skin and along the pointed center to cut off the hard core. Laying the long wedges down on the cutting board, she chopped them into bite size pieces and viola! Fresh cut pineapple was served. Watching her gave me courage to try it on my own. And, finally, I was able to help myself to the yummy fruit.

This might sound strange but learning to cut a pineapple became a real life lesson for me. More than just the skill of wielding the knife around a tropical fruit, I learned that I had bought into the notion that there were just some things I couldn’t do. I was challenged by the thought that I might be missing out on a lot in life simply because I had talked myself into thinking it was impossible.

Mark 10:27 reminds us that with God all things are possible. When we ask for God’s help, we dedicate our endeavor to Him. We admit that in our strength this would not be possible but we proclaim that God can accomplish anything through someone who is willing. We put God’s courage into our heart with His truth. We retrain our minds by taking the words “I can’t” out of our vocabulary.

What is blocking your path to a victorious life with God? Do you sometimes struggle with being a good steward of the time and money God has entrusted to you? Do you struggle making healthy choices with diet and exercise? Maybe your struggle is your temper? Whatever it is, the first major lesson can be found inside this pineapple principle…no more “I can’ts”! Everything about our lives should proclaim, “With God all things are possible!”

Oh, and the next time you see a fresh pineapple, buy it! Cut it open and let its fruit inspire you that there is sweet victory on the other side of every conquered challenge.

Dear Lord, to say I can’t about something is to deny your power that surely resides in me. I am a child of God which means, I am a conqueror. Help me to walk in that truth. Show me where, how, and from whom I am to get educated on this challenge in my life. Give me the courage to face it honestly and bravely. I want to taste sweet victory, in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Him?

What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst

P31 Woman Magazine

Application Steps:
Write down one of the “I can’ts” in your life. Beside it write: “With God all things are possible.” Now pray and ask God to show you what your first step toward victory should be.

Reflections:
Faith plays a significant part in achieving victory over struggles and temptations. If you’re struggling to master victory over sin in a particular area of your life, examine where you faith is at. Are you relying on yourself or on the Lord? With faith you can move those mountains!

Power Verses:
Psalm 44:3, “It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you have loved them.”

Matthew 17:20, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

Luke 1:44-46, “Blessed is she who has believed what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished.”

Hebrews 11:6, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits