Joey and the Jeep
Luann Prater

“Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days.” John 11:6 (NIV)

“It’s perfect!” she squealed. “You don’t understand! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for! I’ve never seen another one like this!” Her response to the shiny vehicle summed up her 19 years-in-the-making personality and her “gotta-have-it-now” attitude. So why was her dad giving her a hard time about it?

Joey was making great money on her job. The jeep was only $10,000. And to top it off, it was loaded with all the right toys! Her dad was trying to counsel her, but he realized his words were falling on deaf ears. He could see down the road where this decision could be a burden for his sweet daughter, but she could only see her desire for the jeep.

He called for reinforcements…me. I had been Joey’s small group leader at church for seven years, and we had a bond. I took her to lunch and we discussed the jeep. After listening to all of her yearnings, it was my turn to talk. I explained that most of the worst decisions in my life were made in a hurry. If we look back on Jesus’ life, we see that He never rushed into anything. Even when His dear friends, Martha and Mary, wanted Him desperately to come to their aid, he waited.

I asked Joey if she would do me a favor. Would she be willing to put the $400 car payment in her savings account for ten months? Then, in ten months she not only could prove to herself, her dad, and the bank that she was disciplined enough to make regular payments, she would also have $4000 to put down on a car! I reassured her that there were hundreds of perfect cars that would be available in ten months. I then took it a step further and said, “Maybe in 10 months you will decide to wait another 10 months and accumulate $8000. Then you can walk into a dealer and pay cash for the perfect car!”

She didn’t like the idea but agreed to do it. Before the ten months were over, her great paying job came to an abrupt halt. She was grateful she had not committed in haste to a gut-wrenching debt.

So let me ask…do you have a “gotta-have-it-now” attitude? Scripture tells us that the borrower becomes a slave to the lender. And the best example in the Bible of patience is Jesus. I challenge you. The next time you are in a hurry to make a major decision, wait a few more days.

Dear Lord, how anxious we are each day to make every decision. Teach us to have Your patience in all things. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Listen to Today’s Radio Show

Dollars & Sense by Cynthia Sumner

i am not but i know I AM by Louie Giglio

Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey

Application Steps:
Write down the things that seem to be screaming for a quick decision. Ask God to give you the patience and wisdom to wait on His timing for each decision.

Reflections:
What financial decisions have I made in the past that I now see were in haste?

How can I break the pattern of the ‘gotta-have-it-now” attitude?

Why do I resist God’s timing?

Power Verses:
Psalm 27:14, “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” (NIV)

Isaiah 30:18, “Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him.” (NIV)

Psalm 40:1, “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.” (NIV)

Labels: , , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Таnia in Delhi said...

Good example!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits