You Will Not Be Forgotten
Glynnis Whitwer

“But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.” 2 Peter 3:8 (NIV)

When my third child was born, my oldest was three. And they were all active boys!

My husband and I were outnumbered and my life was completely up-ended. For the next three years I couldn’t even go shopping at Target by myself with the kids. While one raced down the aisle, the toddler climbed out of the cart. Meanwhile, the baby, who disliked being confined from the moment of his birth, screamed! I was a mess! I felt like climbing over the cart and racing down the aisle screaming myself.

In those difficult three years I kept trying to regain my old life. An organizer and leader by nature, I’d volunteer to oversee something at church and then make my kids and me miserable trying to get it done. My heart is heavy when I remember the times I dragged my three little boys to one event or another, only to leave angry and in tears because they couldn’t sit still.

Instead of accepting my life as it was, I plowed ahead, wanting to serve God and feeling certain He was pleased with my sacrifices. The problem was that my innocent children made the real sacrifice by enduring my non-stop lifestyle. I wish with all my heart that someone had taken me out to coffee and helped me get some perspective. I was too blind to see.

What I know now is that sometimes God calls us to a new mission field that on the surface looks like we’ve been called out of the “game.” But nothing could be further from the truth! Those three years I was afraid to stop pursuing my goals in case an opportunity might pass me by. Instead I missed the opportunity to minister more deeply to my children passed me by.

Second Peter 3:8 says, “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day” (NIV). Although this verse is speaking about the Lord’s return, I believe it can be applied to any time of “waiting.” God doesn’t see time as we do. Three years seems like an eternity, when it’s really just a breath in time. The first part of verse 9 offers hope to those who think opportunities are passing them by and God has forgotten them: “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness.”

I wish someone had told me that God would not forget me, that I was right where He wanted me, and that I should relax and see the opportunities He had placed in front of me. Even though my days felt like years, they really were just a blink. At least, that’s what I know now …

Heavenly Father, I praise You for Your faithfulness. No matter what my circumstances look like to me, I know You have not forgotten me. Help me to see Your hand in every moment of my day, and to look for ways to serve You and those around me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained
by Lysa TerKeurst

The Character of God: Understanding His Heart for Us by Brian T. Anderson and Glynnis Whitwer

His Princess, Love Letters from Your King by Sherri Rose Shepherd

Application Steps:
Identify an area of your life that seems to be put on hold. Instead of rebelling against, ask God what He wants you to learn from it.

Reflections:
What are some of the lies women believe when it looks like God has put their dreams on hold?

If you are in a “holding pattern,” list three reasons to be thankful in the midst of your current situation.

Then, list three ways you can grow spiritually in that same situation.

Power Verses:
Psalm 40:1, “I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.” (NIV)

Luke 12:6, “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.” (NIV)

Genesis 9:16, “Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." (NIV)

Labels: , , ,



4 Comments:

Blogger eph2810 said...

You are right, Glynnis. Sometimes we do need the councel of a wiser woman in Christ. But through your experience, you can now minister to young women who are in the same situation as you were.

Blessings on your day and always.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you'd like to know who God pressed on your heart to write to... :) I'm an army wife w/ three boys, 3, 1, & 2 mos. My husband just did the math & told me out of 5 1/2 years of marriage we've spent just 1 1/2 together. (Yes-- we've done three one-year deployments back to back-- a new pregnancy/baby for each one) I may not be taking on extra responsibilities but temporarily single-parenting in a place w/o family, etc is plenty by itself. And talk about waiting on the Lord... Here they are extended in Baghdad again & I keep thinking to myself, haven't we done enough? Haven't we done our share? --Whatever God's reasons are, they still remain and our faith steadfast with it. God bless! 1Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.

Blogger AdoptedAsHisOwn said...

what a blessing of a post! I am glad I accidentally came across your path. Great encouragement!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to remember that I am not forgotten, that God has me where I am b/c I am doing a great work, by being a mom to my two little ones. My job is so important as it is my job to leave them a legacy of faith. My christianity, my love for God is what is in their face every day. It is b/c of Christ shining through me that my kids will see what i looks like or doesn't look like to walk with God every day.

Dear God,
I pray that you forgive me for harsh words spoken in anger to my kids or husband, for a judgemental spirit at church. Help me to flee from these thoughts and actions when they come along. I pray that you help me to turn from them and choose to be different, more like you m Help me to remember theat each day I am leaving my children a legacy of faith either bad or good. I want them to know the real you. Not the churchy religious you, but what a real relationship wiht God looks like. Help me to choose you in the mornings and not to choose sleep instead. Help me feel refreshed and ready for the day. and my time with you. Be with Peter today and give him the strength to make it all day long as his day is long. Give me extra grace with the kids
Amen

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits