Seeing God in All Things
Melissa Taylor

"You both precede and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head.” Psalm 139:5(NLT)

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I was driving home after speaking all day at a women’s conference. The conference had been such a blessing and I was praising God for His faithfulness in showing up in a mighty way. I had the honor of witnessing first hand how God was impacting the lives of women and their families. Needless to say, I was on a God-high and loving every minute of it. God was so present and it was easy to see Him on this day.

During this time of spiritual bliss, I noticed something rather large darting on to the road ahead of me. It was a deer and she was headed for my lane. The traffic was heavy and my car had nowhere to go but to continue straight. I slammed on the brakes trying desperately to stop, but it was useless. At the moment just before impact, I looked into that animal’s big brown eyes. Why, oh why, did she run out into the road like that? My car hit that beautiful creature full force. She was tossed into the air and landed, lifeless, in the lane next to mine. I cried, “Oh No! I killed a deer!”

Many stopped to see if they could help, but there was nothing anyone could do. Miraculously, my car was not damaged and no one was injured - except the poor deer.

Anytime something bad happens, I try to see God in it all. I had clearly seen Him at the women’s conference that day. Where was He now? Why did this have to happen and ruin my God-filled day?

When I got home, I ran inside to get my husband. I was crying so hard he could hardly understand me. My four children were also home and quickly became concerned for their hysterical mother. I told them the story. First question from my kids: “Is the deer dead?” First question from my husband: “Is the car okay?” They surrounded me with love and reassured me everything would be fine.

Hours later, I was still shaken. My ultra sensitive and loving son, Dylan, noticed this and offered me a Godly perspective on my situation. He said, “Mom, there are many reasons this could’ve happened and none of them are your fault. God has a plan and a purpose for everything, even that deer’s life. Maybe that deer was very sick and God used you to put it out of misery. Or maybe God was protecting the man behind you, so He used your car as a shield. Or maybe God knew that there are many deer, but only one you. He needed you to be my mom today. Mom, whatever God’s reason, it’s not your fault, but you have to trust Him. He was with you the whole time. He never took His eyes off of you or His hand off of your head.”

Oh, will someone pass the tissue please? How is it that a nine year old boy who suffers with anxiety and communication disorders can put this situation in the proper perspective and show me that it’s not about me but about God? I’ll tell you how.

Dylan was looking for God in this sad accident. I wasn’t. It was easy for me to see God in the events at the conference because I was alert, aware, and looking for Him. When tragedy struck, I took my eyes off of Him. Just like Peter trying to walk on water I, took my eyes off of Jesus, and sank.

Do you look for God in all things? Do you see God in all things? I threw my arms around my precious son and thanked him for being the light in my life that day. Then I turned to the Lord and thanked Him, too—for the conference, for my family, for Dylan’s words of wisdom, and for the deer.

Dear Lord, sometimes it’s hard to feel or see Your presence in every aspect of my life, yet I know You are there. Help me to look for You, even when times get tough. Help me to trust You and believe that You are with me every moment of my life. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

His Princess, Love Letters from Your King by Sherri Rose Shepherd

Out of the Mouth of Babes
by Wendy Pope

Becoming a Woman Who Listens to God by Sharon Jaynes

Application Steps:
The next time you find yourself in an undesirable situation, instead of asking “why me”, thank God for being there with you.

Reflections:
Do believe God is working in your life only when things are good?

Do you thank God for everything that happens to you, good or bad?

Power Verses:
Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (NIV)

Deuteronomy 31:6, “Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid of them! The Lord your God will go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you.” (NLT)

Labels: ,



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed that the author could not see God in this accident. He protected her from injury and also her car and no one else got hurt. Her family didn't have to grieve and do without her. She did get quite shaken up and God opened her eyes thru the wise insight of a dear nine year old son. Maybe this was the reason, so she could appreciate her son that much more.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is amazing how sometimes our children can teach us a lesson. I think it is kind of strange that when we are on a God-high, sometimes we miss lesson He trying to teach us.

Blessings on your day and always...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say what a precious son the author has. When I was reading I was sure the boy was at least a teenager. How beautiful that a 9 year old child could have such wisdom and be used so beautifully by the LORD. Out of the mouth of babes the Lord has perfected praise! I also wanted to say that this story encouraged me. I understand how easy it is to let negative situations make us feel vulnerable, and shake our confidence in the fact that we are held tightly in the everlasting arms of our loving Father no matter what happens. It's funny though how oftentimes, if we keep going and take our worries to the Lord, our most distressing moments end up becoming the times where we see God the most.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God was preparing my heart with this very devotion. My Uncle died this day of a sudden heart attack. I do not have blessed assurance of his salvation, and this grieves me the most. I pray the Lord will allow me to be his hands and feet and the Holy Spirit will be my words for many loved ones. I see God in daily devotions.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family and I are dealing with a second round of cancer with our son, this story has helped me to see that no matter what our situation God is still the one in control of our lives as long as we continue to trust and believe that he is with us.

Anonymous Adrienne L Stitt said...

Thank you for sharing your
beautiful story. You are so
blessed to have a loving family.
Your 9 year old truly has the
wisdom of God in his heart.
It is a wonderful joy when the
Lord uses our children to speak
to us on His behalf.

Thank you for reminding me to
look for God in all things in
my life because ,He surely is
there. His Word promises that He
would never leave nor forsake us.
We can cast all our cares upon
Him for He cares for us.
1Peter5:7 And yes Romans 8:28
We know,that all things work
together for those who love God
and are called according to His
purpose to be conformed to the
image of Christ. Praise the
Lord!
He is so wonderful. God Bless
you, your family and your
Ministry.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits