Broken and Poured Out
Katherine Cottle, She Speaks Conference graduate

“Drink from it all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.” Matthew 26:27-28 (NIV)

“Kati, it is broken, surely you don’t want that one,” said my bewildered husband, while we were out one Good Friday evening a few years ago.

We had been walking around downtown after dinner to do some window shopping. Wandering into a little shop called “Barouke,” I spotted this hand- carved wooden cup. I had been on the hunt for a special cup that our family could use just for communion.

“It’s perfect, John. Jesus was broken and poured out for us today thousands of years ago”, I replied.

It was a fairly simple design made from Lignum Vitae, which according to its little tag, happens to be the hardest and most dense wood in the world. I thought it would be a very fitting cup for my wonderful, stubborn family. It has also been called “the Wood of Life” for its pharmaceutical values. What better communion cup could you ask for than one made from the Wood of Life that was found “broken” on Good Friday?

I look at it today and it serves as a constant and visible reminder of Jesus’ great love and sacrifice for me and you. Yes, you! “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16, NIV).

When He broke the bread and gave it to the disciples during the last supper, He told them that it was His body; and He took the wine and said it was His blood poured out for many. (Mark 14: 22-24) He was broken and poured out on a cross so that we might have the opportunity for forgiveness and the choice to spend eternity with Him in Heaven. Like my communion cup we don’t have to be perfect to be forgiven, we come just as we are, even broken.

The song “In Remembrance of Me,” written and sung by Cheri Keaggy, says it very well. The words are true and beautiful:

This is My body
Given for you
This is the cup that holds the blood
Of a new covenant
This is forgiveness,
Simple and True
This is the way
That I have made for you

Before you eat
Before you drink
Take a long look inside
And tell Me what you see

Do this in remembrance of me.

Will you remember what He did for you today? Will you slow down long enough to thank Him? Will you accept His forgiveness? I will.

Dear Lord, thank you so much for your sacrifice on the cross for me. Thank you for your love. Help me to never take it for granted, but to always be mindful and grateful. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do you know Him?


i am not but i know I AM by Louie Giglio

Pierced By the Word: 31 Meditations for Your Soul by John Piper

Application Steps:
Take the time to read the Easter story today from the Bible, any gospel – Matthew, Mark, Luke or John - that you choose.

Create a special “communion” cup to use with your family.

Reflections:
How often do you stop to think about what the Lord has gone through to make sure that you are with Him in Heaven?

Will you set aside a certain time of the day, week or month just to remember and thank Him?

Power Verses:
Ephesians 1:7, “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins…” (NIV)

Hebrews 9:28, “So Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people, and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” (NIV)

1 Peter 1 18-19, “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.” (NIV)

Labels: , , ,



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome it is that there was ONE who was offered up for us (for our sins, which are many). It just makes me stop in my tracks to praise HIS Holy name. How about you?
Cindy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two years ago I gave my life to Christ on Easter Sunday. He is so awesome, and has been so great & faithful to me, even when I take wrong steps. He is worthy of all our praise. Thank you Lord! With all her love, Brenda.

Bless you!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits