Honoring God with Your Life
Marybeth Whalen

“It never occurs to them to say, ‘How can we honor our God with our lives, the God who gives rain in both spring and autumn and maintains the rhythm of the seasons.” Jeremiah 5:24 (NIV)

Last night God brought a little boy to my mind. This little boy is nothing special. He has never been on the front page of a newspaper or achieved a world record. No one recognizes his name; he isn’t a celebrity by the world’s standards. And yet, he was on my mind last night, though I’ve never met him personally. I just know about him because I read something his mother wrote years ago.

At about eight years-old, he felt burdened to start a cookie ministry for elderly people, new neighbors, and others in his life. And so, each week this little boy would make a big batch of Snickerdoodle cookies (I still remember what kind because they sounded so good), divide them into packages, pile them in his wagon and deliver them to whoever was on his list for that week. He would visit with the people and sometimes share a verse or prayer with them and be on his way. Some people heard about what he was doing and donated money to pay for the ingredients in his cookies, and he enjoyed having his very own ministry at a young age.

It has been many years since I read that, and I imagine that little boy is a young man now. I don’t have any idea what he is doing, but something tells me that he is still finding creative ways to honor God with his life. As I thought of him last night, I was struck by how flimsy my excuses must sound for not being more purposeful about ministering to others. What keeps me from reaching out to those around me—the hurting, the grieving, the sick, or the hopeless? What makes me shrug my shoulders and walk away? Why does a little boy’s cookie ministry matter? Because he used what he had and he did what he could. And I know I could stand to do the same.
We are supposed to honor God with our lives. And yet, we have a million reasons for not doing so. Money, time, and resource constraints are popular excuses—and yet, this little boy was bound by the same things. I know that even if I just bake a loaf of banana bread and take it to someone that God puts on my heart, then that is honoring God with my life. Sometimes it is in the simplest of acts that we make the biggest impact. Instead of making excuses and leaving ministry to other people, I can set out to do what I can with what I have.

Many years later this young man’s cookie ministry has served to inspire a busy woman to honor God with her life. He has no idea how impacting his example was on me. I hope he has inspired you as well.

Dear Lord, help me to act on the things You lay on my heart and not make excuses or feel silly or inadequate. Help me to see the bigger picture in the little things You call us to do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources
Becoming a Woman of Influence, message by Marybeth Whalen

Five-Star Families: Moving Yours from Good to Great by Carol Kuykendall

Visit Marybeth’s Blog

Application Steps
What is God laying on your heart? Have you taken action or are you making excuses. Write down some actions steps you need to take today.

Reflections
How has God made Himself known to you through others? How can you do the same?

What does it mean to you to honor God with your life?

Power Verses
Proverbs 14:31, “He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.” (NIV)

Matthew 10:42, “And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.” (NIV)

Acts 10:4, “Cornelius stared at him in fear. ‘What is it Lord?’ he asked. The angel answered, ‘Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.” (NIV)

Labels: , , , , , , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger her said...

Instead of reading my Bible today, I left led to check out this website...todays verse and story is EXACTALY what God has given to me to do. You see, a mother above us in this apartment building is Hindu. She has 2 children (5 yr old and a 6 wks old) One day right before Christmas she was standing in my living room and noticed my 'crafting' on the table. She revealed to me that she loves to do crafts but it didn''t hit me till she saw my quilting. She would love to learn to quilt. That is when God knocked on my heart and said "use your love of quilting to love her." SO after the first of the year we are going to start meeting and plan to make a baby quilt for her sweet litle one. The lanuage barrier is hard but God will have to be the translator for the 2 of us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This devotional was very convicting t me. My prayer and spiritual goal for 2008 is to do what I can for the Lord and for people He lays on my heart even if it is only giving a cup of cold water to someone. So deedee I will be praying for you and the Hindu woman that the Lord will use the time you spend with her to bring her and her children to Himself.

Blogger Unknown said...

I truly enjoy the devotions found within the website. Most, if not all are so very applicable to myself & many other women I know. Thank you ladies so very much for sharing.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits