Come and Listen
Marybeth Whalen

"Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me." Psalm 66:16 (NIV)

Kids are fighting, complaining, whining.

To-do list is calling.

Emails are begging to be responded to.

Packing for a trip needs to be done.

Instead I sit with my journal and my Bible and drink Him in. I land in Psalm 66. What do you have for me today, Father?

Psalm 66:5, "Come and see what God has done, how awesome his works in man's behalf." (NIV)

Psalm 66:16, "Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me." (NIV)

I begin to list the things in my journal, taking time to write out what He has done. My joy swells. The noise diminishes. My life is good, rich, full. He has brought me out to a place of abundance (Psalm 66:12, NIV).

I need this reminder, to come and see what God has done; to take notes on His goodness to me. I am so forgetful. I want to remember more than I forget. To record what He has done before I move on and leave the past in the past, as I am apt to do. Before I extend my hand, saying like a petulant child, "What have You done for me lately?" It is good to stop and remember instead of rushing into my list of needs.

This day, I will notice the abundance instead of the lack. I will see the fullness instead of the decrease. I will run my fingers across words that mark His goodness to me and whisper the most important prayer I can offer: "Thank You."

Dear Lord, let my mouth and my heart praise You. Help me to remember Your goodness, the awesome things You have done for me. I confess that I am forgetful but I don't want to be. Help me see You at work and take the time to remember. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Jesus Calling: Seeking Peace in His Presence by Sarah Young

Visit Marybeth’s blog

The Mailbox Marybeth Whalen

Intimacy with God: Your Daily Guide to Prayer by Tara Furman

Application Steps:
Take time today to write down the things God has done for you. Spend time today praising Him for His goodness and remembering what He has done on your behalf.

Reflections:
Do you have a tool (such as a journal) to record what He has done and how He has moved on your behalf? If not, how would that add to your time with God and help you remember?

Power Verses:
Psalm 106:21, "They forgot the God who saved them, who had done great things in Egypt." (NIV)

Psalm 71:15, "My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure." (NIV)

© 2010 by Marybeth Whalen. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , ,



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this simple, yet profound, devotion. I am coming off of a day of fasting and prayer during which I had to do so many other things that the focus was more on fasting. My quiet time this morning is the grand finale, and as I opened this webpage, I was saying, "What do you have for me today, Lord?" just as you did in your devotion. This list of things, the kids, the to-do list, the emails(phone calls), packing, was my day yesterday. But God is so good, and thank you for helping me remember to let the words that come out of my mouth be words of thankfulness, of praise to my incomparable Father who has lavished me with wonderful gifts, that the people around me would know that He is good. I don't understand why it is such a natural human desire to complain, but this Psalm will be on my tongue today, regardless of the challenges that come my way. My complaint will be that there aren't enough words to praise HIM!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thank God for you and for all those who remind me and bring me back to where I need to be...simple faith...with thanksgiving.

God bless you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this--I needed it before I start my day--life has been crazy lately and I need to remember to be thankful no matter what!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to be reminded of this today. It has been a hectic week and I have not taken time to thank God for all the things he has done in my life. It is so easy to fall into the trap of complaining and feeling like you can't climb out, but with God all things are possible!
Thank you Jesus for my salvation!

Blogger T-Reese said...

Thank you so much for this timely word. I get so wrapped up in my daily duties that I tend to forget more than not to just take the time and remember who and what God has done.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great message just for me (and I'm sure for everyone else who needs it :)! God has done so much for me, I can't list it all. Restored my health and my sons health, forgiven my sin and given grace instead of the consequences I deserve, worked in my marriage, given me not one but TWO jobs, provided Christian parents who are still around to advise me, given me a church family to love and be loved by, and most of all brought depth I never imagined to my relationship with Him. The list goes on and on. Thank you for helping me focus on the joy! Love in Christ, Wendy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this is exactly what we need most.

Oh God enable me to take that time. Help me to forget everything else. Thank you for being there. In Jesus name, I pray.

Blogger Cynthia Schuerr said...

When I begin my day with prayer, I can move through the day with love and an ease in my heart. Why is it that I need to be reminded so often. I appreciate you and your gentle reminders. Thank you Marybeth!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits