Rediscovering Creativity
Glynnis Whitwer

"But forget all that – it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers for them in the desert!" Isaiah 43: 18-19 (NLT)

There are days when my inspiration well is dry. Cracked and dusty in fact. On those days nothing is flowing, not a gurgle or a drip. Try as I might, I can't manifest a single creative thought.

Dinner? Will toast and peanut butter work?

Writing? See Jane … uh … run. Daughter's history project?

Let's see what we can make with lined paper.

On those days, I'm convinced I'll never again write a witty word and my family is destined for mediocre meals. Even more concerning is the worry that I'm raising children who will perpetuate my blandness. What depressing thoughts!

Yet on other days, I'm the Colorado River of inspiration. A little muddy at times, but fast and free flowing. Thoughts with tinges of brilliance (and far above my normal level of thinking) burst from my brain faster than my fingers can type. Relief seeps into my heart. Gourmet meals are just an hour away! I'm not empty after all!

I've experienced both these conditions. And it got me thinking about the circumstances surrounding them. I've realized there are certain patterns that foster my times of creativity. Because I'm designed by a creative God to be creative, I want to dig in deeper to these ideas and work them into my life in greater measure.

The first circumstance that breeds creativity seems to be a new or renewed commitment to a God-given vision. In the past six months, God has refocused my personal ministry. Last year I had a sense He wanted to do something different in and through me, and spent time praying about it and waiting. As I embraced what God was showing me, He rewarded me with exciting ideas, more than I've had in years.

Turning to this new vision has meant leaving other things behind. That was painful. But as I listen to God and obey, I'm energized for the future.

The second circumstance that sparks my creativity is getting out of my routine, and positioning myself around something creative. A simple trip to a book or craft store can jump-start my thinking. I love going to a gourmet or niche grocery store. Farmer's markets, art museums, music stores, concerts or a model home might do the same for you.

We all have creativity designed into us. Yet many believe they were shorted in the idea department, while others got an unfair share. Not true! Perhaps you've put borders around what you think creativity looks like. A mom who whips up an amazing breakfast her toddler will eat is just as creative as a woman designing a line of fashion. God blesses both – they just don't look the same.

Take time to pray about God's vision for you, and position yourself in a creative environment. Who knows what amazing new thing God will do!

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for making life beautiful and creative. Thank You for placing a bit of Your creativity in me so that I can enjoy You more. Help me to shake off the negative thoughts about my own lack and be open to whatever new thing You long to do in me and through me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
The Character of God: Understanding His Heart for Us, small group or individual Bible study by Glynnis Whitwer and Brian T. Anderson

Visit Glynnis’s blog

Don't Panic-Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead by Susie Martinez, Vanda Howell and Bonnie Garcia

Green Mama: The Guilt-Free Guide to Helping You and Your Kids Save the Planet by Tracey Bianchi

The Reason We Speak or For the Write Reason by Marybeth Whalen

Application Steps:
Identify one hobby or creative activity you love but haven't spent much time on lately. What one thing can you do in the coming weeks to position yourself for a spark of creativity? Schedule that activity.

Reflections:
How do we see the creativity of God in our world?

What are the benefits of living a life where creativity is cultivated and advanced?

Power Verses:
Proverbs 31:13, "She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands." (NIV)

Exodus 35:30-33, "Then Moses said to the Israelites, 'See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts - to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship.'" (NIV)

© 2010 by Glynnis Whitwer. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous Gaelen said...

One day my son came home from camp and my husband said Cameron has something that he wants to do. When he told us God started then with my creative thinking. That monday I gave Cameron crayons to draw what he wanted, but before that I asked God if I give this to him that means I have to follow it out. God told me I will help you. That was along time ago, but we always pray and when we think of somthing we keep it in a God box. Now is the time to take it out. Thank you, and most of all God. Love g girl

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please pray for me that God will open my eyes that I will see the new thing He is doing in my life and that I will forget the past that keeps haunting me. These verses in Isaiah 43:18-19 seem to be a theme with God and me this year. These were my scripture verses on Jan. 1 and today He has shown them twice to me this morning from different sources. I can't wait to see what God has new for me.

dora

Blogger Unknown said...

Love this and I can so relate! It is great timing for me...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not about me...thats for sure thank you for having this site

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits