Prepared By God
Wendy Blight

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

In 1988 I entered Southern Methodist University School of Law. I invested three years of my life studying day and night so I could make law review, graduate in the top of my class, and land a job with a large Dallas firm. It all happened just the way I planned … making law review, graduating in the top 10 percent, and landing that big downtown job. It was a good thing too because my husband and I went into debt for that education. But no worries. I got the high paying job I wanted.

I spent the next year applying all that I had learned, working day and night, researching and writing legal briefs. My long hours paid off as I began arguing cases before local, state, and eventually federal court judges. I even had the honor and privilege of writing a brief that went before the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

But in the end, I hated it.

After investing thousands of dollars in my education and thousands of hours researching, writing, and arguing, I hated it. At age 28, I remember saying, "Lord, why do You have me here? I find no joy in what I do. What is it You want me to do? And, Lord, what about all this debt?"

I had no idea the wonderful way in which God would answer those questions. Twenty years later, those research skills taught me the methods that I now use to study and break apart God's Word. Arguing before judges prepared me for the speaking and teaching He has called me to. The writing skills prepared me for writing a book that tells an amazing story of God's hope and healing in the midst of difficult circumstances.

Now in my 40s, I realize that God created me not to be a lawyer, but to be a Bible teacher. He has called me to break apart His Word and teach it. There were steps along the way that I do not understand. There is a debt we still need to repay. But God has been faithful.

Friend, if you have landed here today wondering what in the world God wants to do with your life, I want you to know one thing. Not a single thing in your life will be wasted. God will use your past and your present to prepare you for your future. He has a beautiful plan … a call on your life. He is waiting to reveal it to you.

Jeremiah 1:5 says, "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as My prophet to the nation" (NLT).

Psalm 139:16 says, "You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed" (NLT).

Sweet friend, God brought you here today. He wants to remind you of a precious Truth. Hear it and never forget it...before time began, before God spoke the world into being...He had you in His heart. God chose you to be His child. God has a perfect plan for your life. No one else has your plan, your family, your gifts, your talents, your heart, your education, your past, and your present … NO ONE.

He chose you to use you to do great things for His Kingdom ... things that only you can do.

He is preparing you…even now.

But to be used by God, you must TRUST Him with your past; BELIEVE Him for your future; BELIEVE He has a plan for you; SURRENDER your life to His Plan, and BELIEVE He will equip you to do what He has called you to do.

Related Resources:
Hidden Joy in a Dark Corner: The Transforming Power of God's Story by Wendy Blight

Visit Wendy’s blog, Living Truth, if you want prayer for this today.

For more encouragement, listen to Dealing with the Past

The Uncommon Woman: Making an Ordinary Life Extraordinary by Susie Larson

Application Steps:
Take time today to look at your design. Prayerfully ask God to reveal your gifts and talents (for example: hospitality, teaching, encouraging, leadership, prayer, administration). What did you discover?

If you have a moment today, please visit my blog and share what you discovered. What is it you see that He is calling you to do for His Kingdom? And if you don't know, please leave me a comment sharing your thoughts so I can pray for you. God wants to reveal His wonderful plan for your life!!!

Reflections:
Read Ephesians 2:10. Read it again. Soak it in. Memorize it. Pray it. Believe it

Power Verses:
Jeremiah 29:11 "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" (NIV)

© 2010 by Wendy Blight. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , ,



21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am fifty this year and I am still asking God what He wants to with my life.Every place I go am made the leader but I still feel I am not at my full potential but this article is good I will still continue to trust Him to use me to HIS GLORY.God bless you for your wonderful work.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD! God Bless you. Thank you for this post. As usual, perfect timing He has. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Anonymous carol said...

Thank you for reminding me my time is in His wonderful hands. Not to despair but to have hope even in the mandane of the day to day...

Blogger LizRoth said...

Thank you. No matter how long you've been on this journey, it helps to have someone remind you of His Word and the promises that are there for us. I needed this.

Again, Thank you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed your devotional today, it spoke to my heart. I am experiencing my own "March Maddness" this month. Two weeks ago my daughter was married, and just yesterday I sent my "baby" to the Airforce. Empty nest quickly! Two years ago my dad who has been my only pastor for 38 years moved and retired. We have not found a church and I have really lost my identity. I am glad to know that God has used my past to bring me to a new place. I don't know what that is yet, but I know God knows. Would appreciate you prayers. Angie

Blogger Llyndze Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for this post! God is faithful and I needed this today, and He knew it! I'm 21 years old and I know God has a plan for me, sometimes it's hard seeing I am a junior in college and still have no clue what God has called me to do. I ask that you will pray for me today. I know in Gods time He will reveal himself to me, in the mean time patience patience patience....I would just like to know at least which direction He wants me to go in. : )

Anonymous jenn said...

i know God wants to reveal his will, this is a confirmation of what he let me know in prayer. I have been praying for his true will for my life. thanks again.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an abortion when I was 18. I finally met and accepted Jesus through a post abortion bible study when I was 36. Now I lead the same study to watch Jesus heal other women. Romans 8:28 has become my life versus. Only our Lord could possibly bring good out of a situation like mine for HIS Glory. Thank you for the wonderful message!

Anonymous Ramona said...

Thank you so much, that quite answeres ALOT OF MY questioned that I usually ask myself, thanks again for sharring.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the post. It has encouraged me and reaffirmed what God has told me about my life. I've struggled most of my early 20s trying to find my purpose and passion & after many "great ideas" I've finally gave up and when i did i heard the plan that God had been speaking to me! He is so awesome and His plan for His children is to live an abundent, full, exciting life!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your devotional truly touched my heart and opened my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Praise God!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I found myself in a similar situation in which I was succeeding in my career and making good money, but I was just not happy. I eventually traded in my career to be a stay-at-home mother and I love the opportunity God gave me to raise my children and better serve my husband. It isn't always easy, but I count it a joy and blessing that God is allowing me to experience. I have faith He will continue to reveal all the ways I can serve Him with my life, just as He did for you.

Blogger A Non E Mouse said...

Thank you so much for this devotional. The last two years have been so insane. Many times I have asked myself and God, "What is the point?" Thank you for this reminder.

Blogger T-Reese said...

I know that God is preparing me for many things but I feel like alot has held me back. Please lift me up in your prayers that I will have a clearer understanding of what God wants me to do in order to accomplish what He has set out for me to do in my life.
Thank You.

Its so amazing how God puts the same thought in two different people at different places..I just published a post regarding God's way of preparing us in the valleys so that He can use us in the palace...And your post just confirmed what I wrote...Thank you..Yeah, we might not understand the past, but to make us what we are today and to mold us for tomorrow, He used our pasts...

Thank you so much..

Blogger Unknown said...

WOW - and I MEAN - WOW!

I'm always amazed at how God speaks so powerfully through multiple circumstances, and while I am no longer surprised, I yet stand amazed.

I abhor my job. It is a job I need, am good at, that helps so many people and changes so many lives (I'm a Technical Recruiter here in Charlotte). However, I despise it. It is unpredictable, stressful, and overwhelming most of the time. I feel that I let so many jobseekers down. How can something so fulfilling be so hard to perform everyday?

I have cried out so many times for the Lord to move me from my position into another field, but due to family issues and a string of surgeries for reoccuring tumors I had to have a few years ago, financially - I have just not been able to break free from the great source of income.

This evening even while at church working/speaking at an Employment Ministry meeting, I wondered to myself...Lord..I've been at this now for 15 years. Can I "please" do something else?

When all fell quiet this evening and I got still in His Spirit, I began reading and the Lord spoke to me through Psalm 144. After much prayer and re-reading...I so clearly could hear Him telling me that He was soon going to rescue me, and that rescue involved a new job. It was so LOUD.

And then just before I slip off to bed each night, I visit you guys, and here it is again. So plain. So awesome. So - EXCITING!

I'm your vessel Lord. Use me..use me!

Anonymous amanda said...

Amazing! Thank you, thank you! I too am 28 years old wondering "God what just happened?" I'm in a 150K job, missing my family, working 14+ hours a day, left exhausted and stressed. I just faced the reality that I hate my job. I too have debt from an MBA, but know that God will use what I have learned. In this situations it's easy to feel a sense of failure, but I know my God created something more than that. I was created for a far greater purpose than the role I've taken on. Thank you for the reminder that it is not our past that defines who we are. I hope to look at my life 20 years from now and stand amazed by what God has done. If my story is like yours I know I will have no regrets. Thank you again for sharing, it touched my heart, and was exactly what I needed to hear today!

Anonymous Kelli said...

WOW! What an awesome word and right on time for me this morning.



GOD, I love YOU so much and thank YOU so much for encouraging me this morning.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its amazing how God's word comes to us, tailored to help us deal with a specific situation, and timed just so. I have been looking for a job commensurate with my educational qualifications for a while without luck and i some times fear i might never find one...this of course has brought about days when i feel i wasted time and money pursuing an education that has not bore fruit, and although i'm halfway through a PhD program, i've often felt like throwing in the towel. May God's will in my life prevail. May he show me the way, according to his word. May he show us the way in Jesus' name.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes we are too busy, dancing atop the tables during the height of self-thrown (pity) parties, and along with the violin music, we wail, "why me, Lord?! why me?" Well, this is why! The Lord has created us for just such this reason! And through "this" (whatever "this" may be), you will grow stronger in Him, closer to Him, and His glory shall shine ever brighter!
God bless you all!
Ann in Seattle
(as always, Wendy, a post in God's perfect timing! :0) the headaches from the tumor continue, but life is good, because God is great!)

Blogger kyle mcnease said...

Hi,

I was looking for devotions for graduate students and came across your blog. I will echo what others have already said, Thank you! I am also wondering if you know of any resources for persons that have experienced trauma and how they might incorporate those elements into their calling.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits