Trusting In Princes
Marybeth Whalen

"It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes." Psalm 118:9 (NIV)

I had looked forward to this moment for days. I sat across the table from my friend and poured out my heart about a big decision I had to make. As I looked into her eyes, I just knew she would have the wisdom I needed. I waited expectantly for her advice.

Instead of an answer to my problems I got a mini sermon. One I needed to hear. My friend pointed out that I was looking to the answer and not the Source of all answers. I thought if I just made the right choice, I would solve all my own problems. "You need to take your focus off making the right decision and trust God," she said. "No matter what you decide to do, He will still take care of you and He will accomplish His purpose for you." (from Psalm 138:8)

I nodded soberly. My friend was right. I had gotten caught up in the outcome. I was placing my trust in princes—looking to people and circumstances for the answers—instead of accepting the truth that, no matter what decision I made, God was going to take care of me. I had made the decision so uber-important that it had eclipsed God's place in my life.

I had prayed to make the right decision. I had journaled pages to Him about it. But ultimately, I reasoned, since He hadn't written the solution in the skies for me, I had to make my own choice based on what I felt was right. I had forgotten that He would still be there working all things together for my good after I made the decision, just as He had before.

If you are facing a big or little decision in your life, seek Him above all. Don't let the outcome or the opinions of others become more important that the One who "opens His hands and satisfies the desires of every living thing" (Psalm 145:16).

No matter whether you make the right decision or the wrong one, He will still be there walking with you, loving you, and helping you. Pray about your decision. Read His word. Seek out godly counsel. And then make the best decision you can. Sometimes the biggest decision is to simply make one. Place your trust in Him and rest in the fact that He will meet you on the other side of whatever decision you make.

Dear Lord, thank You that because of Your grace I know You will always be there. Thank You for the promise in Romans 8:28 that You will work all things out for good. I pray that my life brings You glory and I trust You to work in all circumstances to make that happen. Help me to place my trust in You and not in princes. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

The Reason We Speak General Editor Marybeth Whalen

Visit Marybeth Whalen’s blog

For the Write Reason General Editor Marybeth Whalen

Application Steps:
Look up Psalm 57:2 and Psalm 100:3, and write them in your journal. Spend time reflecting on these verses and how they apply to your life today.

Reflections:
Are you trusting Him to work out His purposes for you today? Are you offering up whatever decisions you must make or steps you must take to Him and letting Him take care of the rest?
What "princes" in your life are throwing you off track?

Power Verses:
Psalm 146:3, "Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." (NIV)

Psalm 60:11, "Give us aid against the enemy, for the help of man is worthless." (NIV)

© 2010 by Marybeth Whalen. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , ,



17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much, this exactly what i needed to hear, its life changing. thank you again for your obedience to be used so mightily by GOD. May God bless you and all at p31, you are a really inspiration.

Anonymous Celeste said...

Perfect timing! Thank you

Anonymous Anonymous said...

need to hear this trust him and only him and he shall bless you and and not forsake you. thank you for all your very kind words and the hope and messages that you provide in the name of our father.

wow what an awesome idea i never thought if i prayed and then made a decision god would still be on my side guiding me.. thank you,,,

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! This speaks exactly to where I am this morning... wisdom greatly appreciated!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I needed today, God is always on time, never late, never early! My family and I have decided to enter into the journey of adoption, however we've been wrestling with which venue..international, domestic, or foster to adopt. I have been so torn over this the past week and today is the day i have to call and make a decision which I felt like we'd already made but I needed this encouragement just to let me know God will work it all out no matter what. Thank you for being a vessel today for the God of the Universe to speak to so many of us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't say thank you enough for this posting, this has been one of my scriptures starting at the age of 17, looking back now at the age of 35 all things do work together for our good, if we allow God to do the work he can take even the worst mistakes and work it for our Good. thanks again and God bless.

Blogger DeDe said...

When my mother was fighting cancer, she struggled with the decisions on how to fight the battle; chemo or no chemo? Radiation? Juices? Diet changes? ... In the midst of this turmoil, God gave her this poem:

Recapture My Peace
by Shirley A. LaFave

Recapture My peace, My gift to you
It does not matter what you do
Let all confusion and worry cease
I pour out My grace to give you peace
Place all your cares at My feet
Together all cancer, we can defeat
Just always remember I am there with you
Depend on Me, I will see this through
And when together My glories we share
Remember, it was "I AM" who got you there.

I pray this will bless others who are in the midst of any battle. He is our PEACE who has broken down every wall! Blessings!

Anonymous Andrea said...

What a timely word, Marybeth! You really explained the meaning of these verses, and how God always continues to work for our good when we put our trust in Him! As my husband and I try to decide between two churches - and his involvement in the music ministry of either - it's good to know that we cannot make a mistake, even if we don't know which is the better choice to make.

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh May God this was truly a blessing to me.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a stay at home mom and have been praying about a career decision ever since my youngest entered Kindergarten this fall. I am still waiting for that crystal clear "direction" from God (or frankly, even the slightest hint). I rehash the options daily, and go to bed discouraged every night, wondering what didn't I do right to hear from God? Maybe I'm not praying hard enough or long enough, or serving enough or giving enough? The idea that "No matter whether you make the right decision or the wrong one, He will still be there walking with you, loving you, and helping you" has never occurred to me. Thank you for pointing this out. It has lifted such an overwhelming burden of anxiety from my shoulders! Marybeth, thank you for letting God use you for His work!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FROM THE SUNNY ISLES OF THE BAHAMAS (FREEPORT)! THERE ARE TIMES IN LIFE WHEN YOU JUST HAVE TO TRUST GOD! THIS IS ONE OF THOSE TIMES IN MY LIFE. WHAT TO DO, WHERE TO GO, THE ABILITY TO LOVE OTHERS AND TO SERVE GOD. NOT THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW THE WORD OF GOD AND EVEN APPLING IT TO YOUR LIFE, BUT TO REALLY TRUST GOD AND NOT MAN.

CHRYSTAL STUBBS

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At times we do not know why God has put us into certain situations until you are out of the storm or gone through that "major" decision. After 46 years it is incredible to look back at the times that I trusted Him and not on my own understanding that He carried me through. Now that I have grown kids of my own I just want them to have that understanding as well. It is timest that I read these that remind me to once again tell them to "Trust in Him" and then to practice what I preach! Thank you

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really needed this. My husband and I are in the midst of choosing to homeschool and me quitting my job. He is a small business owner that is just starting out so we will have to put all our trust in God. I am ready and I am at peace about the entire decision and reading this only helps strenghten that. My husband is still having doubts about the job thing, but I know God will come through and I am going to read this to him tonight. Thank you for what you do in spreading our Saviors word.

Anonymous bev reynolds said...

I just signed up for proverbs 31 and really enjoy it.
I am taking care of my 89 year old grandmother and some days I get so discouraged and wonder if this is what god wants me to do. But I guess it is.
I need all the words of encouragement I can get.

I hate leaving my husband at home to take care of things there, but my gram needs me here and I will be here as long as god wants me to.
Thanks to proverbs!

Anonymous Jessi said...

Thank you for this devotional. Both of our vehicles have broken down and we don't know what to do. Buy another used vehicle or fix the ones we have? God's hand will be on either decision we make and He will bless what little money we have to spend on our vehicle. Thank you!

Anonymous Darlene said...

Wow, Wow, I needed this more than anything this week. It was a God coming down from heaven to respond to me. Thank you!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits