A Mary Moment
Wendy Pope

"Elizabeth gave a glad cry and exclaimed to Mary, 'God has blessed you above all women, and your child is blessed. Why am I so honored, that the mother of my Lord should visit me? … You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what He said.'" Luke 1:42-45 (NLT)

Have you ever said "yes" to God for what you believed was the assignment of a lifetime? When you said "yes" did you know you would never be the same again? I love the story of Mary - young, sweet, innocent Mary - who accepted the assignment of her lifetime.

I can only imagine what she was thinking when the angel Gabriel announced she would give birth to the Son of the Most High. Mary was also given details of how this son would be conceived. Without hesitation her response to this assignment of a lifetime was, "May it be to me as you have said" (Luke 1:38, NIV).

Mary did what most women do when something "big" happens, she ran to tell a gal pal. I wonder if she ran out of fear or excitement about what she had just experienced. Perhaps she ran to hide until she could get a handle on the situation. Or maybe she needed a hug from someone that loved her and could assure her that everything was going to be all right.

Scripture tells us she "hurried" on a 5-6 hour trip to Zechariah and Elizabeth's house – a place of refuge. When she arrived at their home, her cousin Elizabeth's words confirmed that Mary indeed had been chosen to give birth to the long awaited Messiah. "In a loud voice she exclaimed: 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!'" (Luke 1:42-44, NIV).

This was Mary's moment. All that she believed of what the angel had spoken was affirmed. In response, Mary praised God, saying, "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me—holy is his name" (Luke 1:46-49, NIV).

Has something like this ever happened to you? Has the Lord spoke to you through His Word and prayer and in your spirit you sensed Him telling you something that seemed outrageous? Has He asked you to say "yes" to an assignment that would change your life forever? You shook your head to loosen the cobwebs and push out anything possibly obstructing your hearing. You walked around bewildered for a couple days, wondering if you really heard right. You replayed the scenario in your mind to get a clearer picture of the experience, but still could not get a handle on it. Then out of the blue you received confirmation. God used a pastor, scripture, song, friend, family member, or a situation to confirm the word He spoke to your heart. If so, like Mary, have you responded with a song of praise to the Lord?

Is God speaking to you today about accepting a divine assignment? Is this devotion confirmation of your own "Mary moment"?

Or, maybe you are still waiting on your lifetime assignment. God gives each assignment in His perfect timing. Let's stay close to Him and His Word so we will be ready to say "yes" when He speaks.

Dear Lord, I celebrate with You the assignments you have for me, big and small. I reflect today on the "Mary moments" I've had. With fear, trembling, and excitement, I wait on the next one. You are a right-on-time God. Thank You for choosing me to be part of Your story. With each assignment, help me to respond like Mary by saying, "May it be to me as you have said." In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst

What to Do in the W.A.I.T.: Finding Contentment in God’s Pause and Plans CD by Wendy Pope

i am not, but i know I AM by Louie Giglio

Visit Wendy’s blog to share your “Mary moment,” we would love to hear about it!

Application Steps:
Take time to answer this question: Is God speaking to me today about accepting a divine assignment? Is this devotion confirmation of my own "Mary moment"?

Read the full account of Mary's moment in Luke 1:26-45. Read Mary's song of praise (46-55) aloud. Praise the Lord for your "Mary moments," and those yet to come.

Visit Wendy’s blog to inspire others with the story of your "Mary moment."

Reflections:
Do I recognize when God is calling me to a task? Have I said "yes" in the past? Did I follow through with it?

Am I ready to say to the Lord, "May it be to me as you have said"?

Power Verses:
Psalm 139:13, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." (NIV)

Ephesians 2:10, "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (NIV)

© 2009 by Wendy Pope. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy,

As I read your Mary Moment this story I am compelled to share my story. A few weeks ago my children brought home a flier from school telling of a 7 year old boy in their school with leukemia. I know in my heart I was told by God to take on this little boy as our Christmas project this year. Well with a lot of thought and prayer we came up with the idea of a Christmas Card Campaign to get him as many Christmas cards as possible to help cheer him up. My kids (10 & 12) made a flier and we emailed it and sent it out to everyone we could asking them to just send a card to him and pass on this request. I have asked God to bless this project and he has. To date we have almost 700 cards from 25 different states and they are still coming. I know God put this project in our hands and I know he also watched over it and blessed it. When we started I was hoping for maybe 100 cards but this is so much more than we could have ever hoped for and I know without God's guidance it would not have been so successful. This project has forever changed how my children will view Christmas. So, I listen and I listen very carefully for him because we have changed a little boys holiday by giving him hope and love from a whole lot of people while he is going thru chemo. right now.

Well that is my Mary Moment this holiday season. Hope you are all inspired by it.

Merry Christmas

Karen

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish it only took me a couple of days to shake the cobwebs out of my head when He gave me an assignment 3 years ago. it has been confirmed over and over through pastors, teachers, etc. a specific type of fast for 40 days. ouch. i get started, and things fall apart. the longest fast at a time is 8 days. after 8 days, my husband became really ill. the drs. didnt know what was wrong with him. i quit the fast and became consumed with worry. i am an emotional eater. therefore, i ate, and ate. at present, he has had 3 surgeries this year. all for different things. 2 of which has changed his daily life. tomorrow is always the day i will start, but i wonder what would be going on if i would have been obedient to the first call. i pray desperately that my answer will be like marys. God bless

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this timely reminder that the Lord's calling is an honor and brings blessings (to us and to others) to those who obey Him. Sometimes my attitude is not one of gratitude- I need to see the calling not as a burden, even though it takes a lot of effort, discipline, and commitment, but to see it as having a higher/ greater purpose- glorifying God and doing His will.

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! What a word in due season. A little less than a year ago I was on my kitchen floor crying out to God to show me a way that I could earn some money and help out my husband with the bills. I was so tired of struggling financially. That day the Lord opened my eyes to His Word and it felt as if Psalm 1 exploded in my spirit. Nothing had really changed in my situation, but I was on top of the world. A few days after that I got an idea. Believing it was God, I stepped out and tried and now 10 months later I am the editor of a christian paper called The Weekly Word. Those 10 months from then to now has been very similar to having a new born baby. They bring you great joy and excitement but also can you bring you to your knees with tears and frustration. I know that I am called to do this and I know that God has a much bigger plan for the paper than what it is now, I am just waiting to see what it is. I join with Mary and say, "May it be unto me as You have said." Thank you Proverbs 31 for your ministry of encouragement and for your prophetic word to me. Blessings, CP

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits