Believing is Seeing
Tracie Miles

"Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed'." John 20:29 (NIV)

Notice how I titled today's devotion "Believing is Seeing," and not the other way around?

If you think about it, we believe without seeing every day. We listen to the news on the radio or television and believe what they say is true. Even though we may see the broadcast, we did not actually witness the events. We listen to the gossip of others and believe their words to be fact.

However, when it comes to believing that God is God, and that the Bible is holy and true, many people struggle.

Why is it that we have a much harder time believing in a sovereign God, than we do a story on the news or from a friend? Why is it difficult for some to comprehend and believe that God created the universe, is in control of everything, and ordains life?

DOUBT.

Doubt is an incredibly powerful weapon that the devil uses to attack the minds of those whose faith is weakened due to struggles in life, feeling distanced from God, or who have never truly known the Savior.

Doubt occurs when we begin to think we have to see God to believe in Him, and when our faith is dependent on what our eyes can see.

But faith is not something we can see. There is no visual evidence. The official definition of faith is a "firm belief in something of which there is no proof."

Faith requires that we believe, despite not having any visual evidence.

If seeing were believing, then faith would be irrelevant and unnecessary. Jesus would forever be trying to convince us that He is the Holy One through signs, wonders and miracles. Our faith would always be teetering on the edge, and likely decline as soon as we felt the need to see just one more example of proof of His existence, His sovereignty, or His power. If we could see Him, we would probably never truly believe in Him.

Faith only comes by hearing God's Word, and believing it - no matter what - without a shadow of a doubt - without needing constant visual proof.

The cold hard fact is that we live in a world that thrives on proof. As a result, Christians will face pressure to doubt that God is real and alive. We will face opportunities to turn away from God and believe in other religions, which may seem trendier, more appealing or visually legitimate. We will face ridicule for believing in the unseen.

But that is where true faith comes in. Faith that is not swayed by new ideas, impressive people, or eloquent preaching. Faith that will not die because something easier comes along. Faith that is based on the belief that He was, is and will be the Savior of the world. Faith that can withstand the pressure of difficulties in life.

Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (NIV).

We can't see God, but we can see His activity in our lives...if we believe.

We can't see God, but we can see His power working within us...if we believe.

If you ask me, we see what we want to see. We choose to believe...and then, we see.

If you have felt lured to doubt God's presence, power, and omnipotence as a result of listening to false teachings, being persuaded by others, or dealing with doubts that have been planted in your mind by those who don't believe because they cannot see, pray for God to remove those doubts today.

If you have been doubting God's existence because you cannot see His activity in your life, pray for Him to open your eyes to see His divine intervention. Pray for Him to saturate your life so powerfully that you cannot doubt that He is at work. Pray for Him to make His presence known to you.

If your heart desires to believe, your eyes will see the truth. Your faith will result in vision.

Dear Lord, impart in me an unshakable faith. Forgive me for any doubts. I love You and believe in Your sovereignty, forever. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

Fresh Grounded Faith: Devotions to Awaken your Spirit by Jennifer Rothschild

My First Story of Jesus by Tim Dowley

Visit Tracies’ blog

Application Steps:
Pray this verse and ask for God's power to transform your life:. Romans 8:6 "So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace." (NLT)

Look up Romans 8:6 in other translations.

Reflections:
Are there any doubts in my heart today?

Power Verses:
Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." (NIV)

© 2009 by Tracie Miles. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , , , ,



11 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Child like faith. That is what I have been praying for.
To have total dependence, total trust, carry everything to Him and leave it.
I have had people tell me to have faith that He will take care of everything. But unless you have experienced the results of having faith, it is easier said than done.

So the Friday night I looked up verses about faith. Hebrews 11:1 was the first one I came to. After reading your devotion, my mind thought ironic. But quickly I thought about what you have said before, not ironic..but God speaking. Hebrews 11:6 was the next one and that led me to 4:16.
"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

God knew I needed to see this again.
Child like faith....I think I'm beginning to understand.

Blogger Rebecca said...

It's funny how I find it easy to believe in GOD, but I doubt god in my life. I get the big GOD, but in the everyday . . . well, that's different.

I pray that God would open up my eyes and those of all who are reading this, to His extraordinaryness in the ordinary. May we all see Him as a friend walking with us, instead of just a power looking down on us. May we see him in every room, every situation, every thought, every breath.

Thank you god.

Anonymous Sandy M said...

When I first felt Jesus tugging at my heartstrings, part of me so desperately wanted to believe, and another part was rebellious and afraid. I remember finally, after anguished months of sitting glued to my seat in church, answering the pastor's altar call and going forward to receive Him and ask for prayer. For what did I ask? I asked for FAITH. Even then, as a baby Christian, I knew that faith was (and still is) the key to a true relationship with the one true God.

For those of you who read this morning's devotion with tears streaming down your cheeks, your heart practically breaking with yearning for Him, be encouraged. Our good and loving Lord sees you, and He yearns for your love as desperately as you do for His. He will grow your faith. You will find true peace in Him and His promises. Just keep asking Him and seeking Him.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading today's devotions and reading the 3 comments posted this morning, has my heart ponding and crying out to the Lord. For a while now things have been getting harder and harder in life. And I feel as I have lost my relationship with my father God. However every time that comes to my mind I can feel my spirit telling me, not focus on faith. Remember Faith, God is Faith and we must believe that will get better if we believe and faith in him. I trust in God and I love him with all my heart. It's doubt that comes in and stands in my way. And today I say to the spirit of "Doubt" be gone, stay away, because I have faith and will focus on faith. I am a baby christian and so many of family members tell me over and over again that the fire for the Lord in my heart is great. However its my love for the Lord that is great and that is God. I tell anyone if you love him, just believe in him and press forward with his faith..

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well stated! Wow!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can honestly say that i can agree with alot of what is being said. I still struggle with my faith, but the previous posts give me hope of a better day.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!! This is exactly right!! Very well stated!!! I will share this to encourage others as it has encouraged me!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be showing my age, but, years ago there was a childrens program that encouraged children to play the I spy game. You were to look around everyday and look for God. When you noticed God in a situation you were to yell I spy. We continue to talk about this game and share what God has done and when we see God in our day. It has really helped my children to take big steps in there faith even as adults.It helps us to see that God even cares about the very small details of our lives.It really is a faith builder to find God in everyday things.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. The accuser has been telling me that God is going to leave me and make a fool of me for loving Him so much. How crazy is that! But satan tends to repeat the same thing over and over again until I get weary of fighting back and accept his new, false reality. This false reality sends me down another path for comfort and acceptance - a path that always fails. I have to engrain todays teaching in my heart, especially when all I have is faith to guide me in all of my stress.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is an eye opener we can see where we stand with our father and realize that he is real and it does not get any better than that.Thank you for your astute and loving words.
God bless you always.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this devotion. I really needed it.

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits