Hand-Made Heart
Lee Merrill, She Speaks! Graduate

“He made their hearts, so He understands everything they do.” Psalm 33:15 (NLT)

I love hand-made gifts. Just knowing that someone loves me enough to take the time to create something just for me touches my "I feel loved" button!

Personally, I can't sew, paint, or do anything remotely crafty. In fact, when I was a high school summer missionary working with underprivileged children in Houston, Texas, I wore a pin every day that said, "I Don't Do Crafts."

One Christmas, as a money-deprived newlywed, I decided I would take on the creative gift-giving task of decoupaging glass platters with decorative tissue paper. The craft show that inspired me turned out these gorgeous serving platters resembling stained glass. Well, mine looked like crumbled up tissue paper glued to the bottom of a glass platter. I can still remember the shame I felt after giving one of those ugly platters to my creative mother-in-law.

My lack of talent in the crafts department gives me a deep appreciation for the skills of others. I love admiring hand-made scrapbooks, cross-stitched wall hangings, hand-painted pottery, and all kinds of other crafty things. The scrapbooks my mother-in-law has given me over the years are some of my most prized possessions. (Glad she didn't hold the ugly platter against me!)

Did you know that our Heavenly Father is a crafter? Psalm 33:15 says that God, "made [our] hearts, so He understands everything [we] do.” (NLT)

How does it make you feel to know that the Ultimate Crafter--Almighty God--fashioned your heart individually?! You have a hand-made heart! God is such an amazing crafter that He doesn't even have to spend countless hours toiling over the task. Psalm 33:9 tells us, "For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast." (NIV)

I can just picture my loving Lord almost four decades ago thinking to Himself, Hmmm...the 1970's are quickly approaching. It’s time to create Lee. I'm going to make her tender-hearted and full of compassion. I know she'll have a leaning toward laziness and inconsistency, but I'll give her victory over that when she's ready. I want to use her to point people to me and to the power of prayer. I want her to be there to lift up the downcast and point the defeated to triumph through My power!

If you are feeling less-than-precious today, pray these words based on Psalm 139:13-14 out loud, and take comfort as you allow the truth to settle into your heart and soul: God, You created my innermost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I’ll praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. The works of Your hands – including me – are wonderful, help me know that full well.

Dear Lord, we can be very critical of Your one-of-a-kind creations called “us.” Please forgive my lack of thanksgiving for all the beautiful things You hand-fashioned in me. You and I both know I have flaws that need work, but nevertheless, I am fearfully and wonderfully made by the Master Crafter—You. Polish and shape me into exactly who You had in mind when you knit me together in my mother’s womb. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Your Creator?

Shaped with Purpose CD and companion Workbook by Renee Swope

His Princess, Love Letters from Your King by Sherri Rose Shepherd

She Speaks! Conference

Application Steps:
In your journal, write out a prayer of thanksgiving to God as you reflect on the beautiful qualities He created in you. Include the qualities that will be made “beautiful in His time.” (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

Keep an eye out for someone who needs to be reminded that she is a one-of-a-kind creation of the Master Crafter.

Reflections:
When you declare you are “no good,” what are you telling God about His skills as a Creator?

Do you truly believe God’s Word when He says you are wonderfully made? If not, ask Him to change your mind!

Power Verses:
Song of Solomon 4:7, “You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.” (ESV)

Psalm 139: 13-14: “… for you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” (NIV)

Genesis 1:27, “So God created man in his own image…” (NIV)

© 2009 by Lee Merrill. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , ,



9 Comments:

Blogger KelliGirl said...

Lee,
Congratulations on your devotion. Your words really spoke to my heart. How often have I questioned God's design of me. "Really, Lord, you made me like this on purpose!" Like you, I find tremendous comfort in the words of Psalm 139.

"I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Wow!!!

Blessings and Prayers,
Kelli

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was setting up wireless connection for my brand new laptop yesterday. I got impatient and appreciate computer geek wisdom as I tried to set up my router. :)

I felt dumb, but I finally got a wireless connection after a few a hours of trying.

Thank you for this reminder that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too wonder what God was thinking when he made me. I am scared lonely and looking for comfort. The funny thing is i can always give comfort to my friends and tell them what they need to hear i just can't hear it myself. I guess i need to trust in God that he knows what he has in mind for me.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the devotion and i guess we all struggle with questioning our value, or why we are the way we are. I know I do..I did it this weekend when trying to juggle visit to aging parents, kids catching up on missing homework, decluttering the house, meetings at church, disrespectful kids at times....
a couple of years ago i also set up a wireless network at home with a couple of computers...congratulations on your effor, Anonymous; that is great; you should be proud. As my friend encouraged me, you could set up a computer support business for women!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I was just talking to my husband about me and praying about this this morning. You really touched home and have given me some encouragement to continue the course God has set before me. I know how I feel about myself is the devils way of keeping me from reaching my potentential. Thanks so much for your God Give Word.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous,
Please allow me to address you in His awesome love. I too once felt some of the same feelings you described. There was also a time I was going through a great difficulty concerning my daughter who was making wrong choices. I was talking to a dear friend who is a retired minister. He told me I needed to trust the Lord to handle things. I said I was trying to. He told me there is no such thing as "Trying to", he said either you do or you don't. I have reflected on his comment numerous times throughout the years since then and marvel at the truth in his statement.

I faced another very difficult time later and the Lord led me to Phillipians 4: 4-7 & 13. This begins with "Rejoice in the Lord always." I kept trying to tell the Lord I didn't feel like rejoicing. He kept telling me not to rejoice in myself, but to rejoice in Him. Once He finally got that through my head (and heart), it made such a difference in my life. He is an awesome God and He truly cares for you. I pray you will feel His love in a special way and allow Him to make you strong when you feel weak & alone. He is always with His children, even in times we don't allow ourselves to feel His presence. May God bless you.

Blogger Rosa Lydia said...

Rosalie said:
I need to trust God every day and know that without Him I am nothing. Thank you for this wonderful devotions because I am finding God's principles and wisdom. I know that God's design a tender heart, very emotional person for His glory.
For God's service
Rosalie

Blogger Rosa Lydia said...

Thank you for this devotions. I really love this one because I need to trust the Lord every day and today I can see that God once again is telling me that He made me...with my emotions, happiness, and even in my loneliness.
In God love
Rosalie

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emotions, emotions emotions!! Thank you for reminding me that I am wonderfully and fearfully made. Just today after a frustrating day at work today I cried on my way home, questioned God about so many things which I do not understand, about my carreer and my current employment. I even told God so many things that He should !! I am sorry Lord, how can the created tell the Creator. I am sorry Lord, please help me choose wisely. I choose to trust God with all my heart and not to lean on my own understanding!

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits