I Will Do Something New
Melanie Chitwood

“’Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past. Behold I will do something new, now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, rivers in the desert.’” Isaiah 43:18-19 (NAS)


Several years after a friend weathered a huge storm in her marriage, I asked her, “How do you not remember and not get angry all over again when you’re reminded of the hurt your husband caused you?”

Her answer was simple but not easy: “I choose to believe that God loves me, my husband, and my children. And I choose to trust God.”

The key word here is “choose.” Today’s key verse in Isaiah is also about choosing. In our marriages, we can choose to remember the hurtful times, or we can choose not “to call to mind the former things.”

Let’s look at some real-life examples where we can chose to look ahead rather than behind:

I can choose…
to forgive my husband for forgetting my birthday.
not to repeat in my mind the hurtful words my husband said in the heat of an argument.
to appreciate my husband for what he does now, rather than wishing he’d send me flowers like he did in the beginning of our marriage.
to be merciful and gracious when my husband loses money in an unwise investment.
not to hold grudges.
to forgive my husband for unfaithfulness.
not to wonder if I married the right man.

We can make choices like these every day in our marriages, and as we do, I believe we will see God do something new and miraculous in our marriages. After all, He’s the God who makes a “roadway in the wilderness” and “rivers in the desert” as our verse says.

I saw my friend choose to trust God during the storm in her marriage. Then, over and over again, I’ve seen her choose to look ahead to the new things God promises to do in her marriage, rather than dwell on the hurts of the past.

I’m inspired by my friend’s ability to rejoice over the new life God brought to her marriage. As our conversation concluded she said, “What we went through was absolutely heartbreaking, but I prayed to see it through God’s eyes. I believe that God can make all things new, that God can work all things to our good if we believe in Him. God transformed our marriage as I rested in Him and trusted Him.”

Dear Lord, I rejoice that You make all things new! Lord, You can even raise a dead marriage to new life. Lord, I choose to look ahead not behind in my marriage. I choose not to call to mind hurt from the past. I can’t wait to see what good things You bring to my marriage as I trust and obey You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

What a Husband Needs from His Wife by Melanie Chitwood

Listen to P31 Radio Show

Application Steps:
Right now, what hurt or anger can you leave behind so God can do something new in your marriage? Pray now, confessing to God that you’ve been holding on to hurts of the past, and ask Him to begin a new work in your marriage.

Reflections:
What would happen if you forgave your husband for the way he hurt you?

What role does fear play in your inability to look ahead in your marriage?

Do you trust God to do something new in your marriage?

Power Verses:
Matthew 19:26, “…Jesus said to them, ‘With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” (NAS)

Ephesians 4:22, 23, “You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, …to be made new in the attitude of your minds.” (NIV)

Ephesians 4:32, “Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.” (NLT)

© 2008 by Melanie Chitwood. All rights reserved.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this devotion. Speaks directly to me. Just this morning I prayed to God about my marriage and about the things I do not understand. What an immediate answer I get from this devotion!!! What a mighty God we have! Alelujah
Thank you so much for the devotion. May God bless you.

Blogger Tiffany said...

Thank you so much for this, and all of your devotions!
I was just sitting here wondering how to deal with things that I don't understand in my marriage, asking God to help me with understanding, and not two seconds later I read this!
God Bless,
Tiffany

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've wanted to get back on track with my devotions for some time now, it's been, well it's been way too long... and this morning I was just drawn to the title, and I know it was by no chance.
You know I decide sometime ago that I was going to forgive my husband for the way he hurt and wronged me several years ago. I just didn't realize the amount of strength that takes not just at the moment you decide, but it's a choice everyday. Last night I had a dream that I was in the car and speaking to a friend, and I was saying, I just don't know if I made the right choice, I would have been better off if I had just left instead. I woke up this morning wondering if the dream was true, and I'm sure it was in the sense that's how I feel when I try to do this by myself. I know to fight off the negative feelings I have to put God first and foremost and make Him a part of my life everyday. Your devotion this morning reminded me of what God wants from me, a relationship with Him, and He will work out the details beyond that. He has given new life to our marriage and our family and I want to thank you for writing this, it spoke to me, to someone that doesn't speak to anyone about this, it gave me an outlet, and it’s an eye opener - thank you for listening to God and letting His message speak through you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed this reminder to keep me on track in my marriage. I know choosing to forgive has helped our marriage so very much. It is opening new doors to better communication. Thank you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this heart-felt devotion. I am still in the midst of a 5 year storm in my marriage. Each time I reach the point of wanting to give up, the Lord strengthens me with His grace and encouragement. Often times through devotions like yours. Your words are consistent with what has been placed on my heart recently. I have a choice to be overwhelmed by my grief and pain or I can surrender it
all to the Lord. I can choose to keep recalling the past and present hurtful actions of my husband or I can let it go and trust God.
Thank you for your encouragement.

Blogger Cheryl Barker said...

Melanie, what an important principle to apply to our marriages, as well as to other relationships. The power definitely comes from God when we choose ways that honor Him and bring hope and healing, doesn't it?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even see through the tears as I write to you. The very moment I opened today's devotion I got a text msg from my husband (who does NOT text) "H I want to be your boyfriend I love the way you smile. Maybe we can go for a walk this evening" You see, I had completely given up hope. We have been growing further and further apart for the past few years. I had thought it was over, and didn't have the strength in me to fight. I had started down the path of just not caring anymore. THEN God orchestrates such beauty from ashes for me this morning.....I have new hope. Thanks for being a part of Gods plan for my marriage.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's timing is perfect! I just kindly confronted my husband with something he did that hurt me very much. I immediately ran to my Heavenly Father and confessed my hurt giving it to him to resolve in my husband - for I know that changing my husband is God's job not mine. I was even lead to read I Corinth. 13 about how I should LOVE inspite of how I wanted to point fingers. Then the timing of this devotion this morning was further instruction to me to "choose" to move on, let go and let God. Thank you for sharing God's Truth!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this encouragement.
This morning I cryied out to God to help me change my negativity towards my marriage and my spirit of unforgiveness. God answered my prayer with this devotion!
God is Good ALL the time!
Thank you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friends - I loved reading your comments. I love the victory you are seeing in your lives, especially your marriages as you surrender your hearts and obey Him. My friend who I wrote has also been encouraged by your feedback. Thank you, Lord, for our husbands, our marriges, and that you have good plans for us! We love you - blessings,
melanie chitwood

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was bless with this devotion, I'm now going thru a big storm in my marriage, it's been more than 7 months now that we been separate and I just waiting for a miracle and this devotion help let go a lot of the pain that I was feeling and I told God that I choice to forgive my husband and to let go of the bad memories and I will just wait on him, if you read this comment please take me in your prayers and may the glorious God bless you all

Post a Comment

Home

Site Search
Recent Devotions
Articles About...
Archives
Grab our button!
Links
Credits